Author Topic: Filling a gouge in SUP-help needed  (Read 3568 times)

AshevilleSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Filling a gouge in SUP-help needed
« on: March 02, 2021, 03:39:11 PM »
Newbie doing a repair since I don't live near any surf shops. So i have a few quick questions....

1. How do I know if my SUP is poly or epoxy? The foam looks like smallish size foam balls stuck together?

2. The foam dented in and cracked in a few spots under my heel so I had to dig out some of the foam (about fist size)...What is the strongest (all my weight is resting here) and easiest fill material to add before glassing? Q-cell, microballoons or glueing in a new foam peice? I'm not as concerned about adding weight as this board is likely moving on after repair.

3. Lastly, what is ratio of Q-cell or microballoons to resin if going that method?

Thanks in Advance!!!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 03:41:33 PM by AshevilleSUP »

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Filling a gouge in SUP-help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 03:54:26 PM »
Posting a pic will get you the most helpful responses, can't really tell from your description what it is, but almost certainly it's epoxy.  What brand is it?

Gluing in a new foam piece with gorilla glue is preferable and easiest.  Mist the GG so it foams out well and then sand to shape.  You asked your question about which is strongest and I'd say it doesn't make a difference.  Strength will be in the glassing.

Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 08:55:21 PM »
That’s EPS I’m 99% sure. You can get it anywhere including packaging or buy it at Home Depot. (He’ll cut up a cheap cooler.)

Don’t fill anything of any size or depth with Q-cell if you can avoid it. Cut a piece of foam as was said. It’s also simpler and way faster. If you put too much resin in one spot at once it can melt your EPS. I feel you doubt this leave a paper cup with a couple of ounces of epoxy resin sitting for 15 min and see how that ends up.

Most mix q-cell to mayonnaise consistency, thicker is lighter of course. If it’s runny it’ll soak into the foam.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 01:07:37 AM »
Here's a couple videos that helped me change my methods for filling foam holes, and gouges...

https://youtu.be/UgZ3A3igBbY

https://youtu.be/LM-txMeTjPo

The great thing about making foam this way, is that it's stronger than the 1 or 1.5 lb EPS foam in your board as Beasho calculated as roughly equivalent to 4 lb foam in the second video. Also, its expansion as exhibited in the first clip allows it to find all of the little voids that Q-cell or microballons won't reach for better adhesion.

I've used it multiple times now, and once it cures (less than 30 minutes usually), it's easily cut, sanded, and shaped to the contour of your board, and you don't have to fiddle with trying to cut a piece of foam to fit properly, and then using the Gorilla Glue to affix it to the hole anyway. Also, if you didn't mix enough to fill it completely the first time...just mix some more, dump it in, and you're good to go.

Great stuff, and thanks to Beasho for being the first to bring it to my attention.

Edit: Since I'm assuming you have a good portion of the pad off now, if you're looking for "the strongest" fix in the standing area, you might consider removing more pad, and laying several layers of carbon over the glass where you'll be standing.

Had that done on all my EPS boards, and never had foot indentations in them like I did in previous boards w/o the carbon standing area.

This is one of my first foil boards with the carbon in the standing area for example...I paddle my foil boards in the surf stance, and why they're front and back instead of side-by-side.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 01:24:35 AM by Califoilia »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Stew

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 01:35:21 PM »
Here's a couple videos that helped me change my methods for filling foam holes, and gouges...

The great thing about making foam this way, is that it's stronger than the 1 or 1.5 lb EPS foam in your board as Beasho calculated as roughly equivalent to 4 lb foam in the second video. Also, its expansion as exhibited in the first clip allows it to find all of the little voids that Q-cell or microballons won't reach for better adhesion.

So you just use the gorilla glue as foam?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 07:27:36 PM »
So you just use the gorilla glue as foam?
Yes, similar to how one would/could use 4 lb. pour foam.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 11:29:17 PM »
whenever i mix Gor GLUe i get too many bubbles . what am i doing wrong?

I've used it multiple times now, and once it cures (less than 30 minutes usually), it's easily cut, sanded, and shaped to the contour of your board, and you don't have to fiddle with trying to cut a piece of foam to fit properly, and then using the Gorilla Glue to affix it to the hole anyway. Also, if you didn't mix enough to fill it completely the first time...just mix some more, dump it in, and you're good to go.

Great stuff, and thanks to Beasho for being the first to bring it to my attention.

Edit: Since I'm assuming you have a good portion of the pad off now, if you're looking for "the strongest" fix in the standing area, you might consider removing more pad, and laying several layers of carbon over the glass where you'll be standing.

Had that done on all my EPS boards, and never had foot indentations in them like I did in previous boards w/o the carbon standing area.

This is one of my first foil boards with the carbon in the standing area for example...I paddle my foil boards in the surf stance, and why they're front and back instead of side-by-side.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 07:28:21 AM »
whenever i mix Gor GLUe i get too many bubbles . what am i doing wrong?
Dunno, maybe too high of a speed on your dremel tool introducing too much air? Maybe not using a dremel tool to mix it quickly or thoroughly enough leaving inconsistencies in curing time throughout batch leaving the bubbles? Maybe too much water, or not enough water? Hard to say not know what you're doing with your mixture.

You might also find this video interesting in another way for reducing the bubbles in a batch, and changing the density of the foam produced....

https://youtu.be/ggekRdoQJNE

Hope that helps. 

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 07:49:56 AM »
1) For testing if the foam is poly, you can put a drop of epoxy resin on it (or solvents like diethyl ether, tetrahydrofuran).  It will dissolve and emit a gas if the foam is poly.
2)  You can use either gorilla glue or q-cell to fill.  I prefer gorilla glue.  It is easier, lighter, and faster.  For either,  you will want to add glass for strength.
3) Ratio.  I usually keep adding Q-cell until you get a cake frosting consistency.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal