Author Topic: Board Leash Not Needed Anymore  (Read 8032 times)

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Board Leash Not Needed Anymore
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 11:00:20 PM »
Why not just leave wing leash on the wrist. F-one leash is perfect imho. Having a leash attached to the waist belt is a death sentence in significant shore break.

Actually, in a serious wave, a leash on your wrist and one on your leg is like the roman chariots dragging Spartacus apart. I find hooking both on your waist makes you a spectator instead of a stand-in for Spartacus.

Bill, depends on your put in location. Here is mine typical NW day. https://youtu.be/IhSJDWPQEZU
Good luck with wing leash attached to your waist - I was never able to get out. When it is on my wrist no problem. Yeah and riding in this with no board leash - my blessings.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 03:02:11 AM »
Why not just leave wing leash on the wrist. F-one leash is perfect imho. Having a leash attached to the waist belt is a death sentence in significant shore break.

Actually, in a serious wave, a leash on your wrist and one on your leg is like the roman chariots dragging Spartacus apart. I find hooking both on your waist makes you a spectator instead of a stand-in for Spartacus.

Bill, depends on your put in location. Here is mine typical NW day. https://youtu.be/IhSJDWPQEZU
Good luck with wing leash attached to your waist - I was never able to get out. When it is on my wrist no problem. Yeah and riding in this with no board leash - my blessings.

Wow,that looks nightmarish...
Do you paddle out?
How about getting back in?
There is so few vids of people getting out/in in beachbreak conditions, most are dreamy reef&sandbar locations.
Sells more wings i guess.

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2021, 07:48:25 AM »

Can you explain how the wrist leash mount vs waist is helping you in that situation?  Is it when wing is flagging out in high winds or being pulled by waves?  I find paddling is much easier if the wing isn't attached to your arm.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2021, 08:20:51 AM »

Wow,that looks nightmarish...
Do you paddle out?
How about getting back in?
There is so few vids of people getting out/in in beachbreak conditions, most are dreamy reef&sandbar locations.
Sells more wings i guess.

Dontsink, sometimes I paddle out - sometimes I don’t. It all depends on how much of ass kicking I am ready to endure. The hardest part is getting past the shore break. Getting in is much easier - I will foil literally all the way to the shore - trying to avoid wipeouts but have to be high up on the mast since there are bunch of sand bars as I get closer to shore and my gofoil 32.5 mast sometimes too long, so gotta be high up.
Last time on serious day it took me roughly 20-25 minutes to clear the beach and sometimes it takes 2 minutes. I guess technique and luck :)

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2021, 08:37:28 AM »

Can you explain how the wrist leash mount vs waist is helping you in that situation?  Is it when wing is flagging out in high winds or being pulled by waves?  I find paddling is much easier if the wing isn't attached to your arm.

It will depend on what you have to deal with upon entering water. I personally do not prone paddle on my boards - not effective in my spot. My main point is to get to the deep enough point so I can quickly get on my knees and power my wing and clear the shore break madness. I have literally seconds to do that - you fall or hit a sand bar on the way out - you are in for some beating. Now to the leash on the waist belt. I use 32” mast so for me to be able to hop on my board and go I will need to be in chest deep water. So when I have a leash attached to my wrist at least the wing is hovering on water surface or flying in the air. When the wing is attached to my waist belt, the wing leading edge tends to dive in and breaking 3-4 footers fill it up with water and your wing becomes an anchor impossible to move. Done that - huge hazard in my conditions.
If your put in easy - definitely put your wing leash on waist belt - or if you are surfing maui waves - it is easy and I agree with PinoBill there - that’s ok to have leash on your waist.
Just my experiences.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2021, 02:14:37 PM »
So I tired it today. On the water it’s much easier to do than on the beach. I worked on reducing drag and was hauling ass downwind. Unfortunately my board was also hauling ass at the exact same speed. I gave the board a kick downwind to make it challenging as I crashed to do the test. The beach crew were debating whether I ever gained any ground on the board. Everyone agreed the gap between me and the board stayed constant.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLVDONgF1MX/?igshid=1wz93klkak31l
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 02:20:13 PM by Dwight (DW) »

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2021, 06:58:35 PM »
Gone-foiling: makes sense. I don't envy you that put-in (though awesome to have fun waves to play in once you get past it). We occasionally get onshore wind waves that stack up and it is a s**t show when it goes sour.  Of all wave oriented sports I do, wing foiling is the most helpless feeling when stuck in waves. 

Dwight: thanks for carrying out the experiment and posting results. That sounds like a fail.  At least you are able to keep distant constant, versus swimming it would be gone quick.  However, if the wind was side-off, you'd be waving it g'bye. I really like the idea and hope to figure out a way ... but right now the leash-hassle still seems worth putting up with

Supfool

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2021, 08:37:04 AM »
Hard pass on this technique. Where I ride it's sideshore and the wind can shut off instantly leaving only chop that will take the board downwind, never to be seen again.  To me this technique seems foolish at best, and I consider it irrepsonsible to be touting it online as a leash replacement in all but the most specific low swell/chop situations.  I sure don't have $3500 to gamble with every time I go foiling.

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2021, 07:19:20 PM »
I've been debating for a while to start a thread here about all the tips and tricks to get past shorebreak safely and efficiently. You guys are right that ALL the videos are of spoiled kids launching from daddy's zodiac right next to the shoulder of the wave... But the rest of us suffer.

One day in October I was trying to get out in onshore 32 knots in lake Ontario.. Thought I had the swell timed right and pushed like hell to get deep enough to hop on the board... When I realized that the bottom was NOT sand anymore but slick as ice Rocky slate slabs.. Holy crap did I get humbled.. Rejected.. Amazing my foil didn't kill me nor the wing.

I'm in 100%agreement that the old (bad mouthed for kiters) Reel leash has been a, godsend! I absolutely despise the coiled leashes which knot themselves up instantly... And I've had too many times when standing and pumping only to realize the normal leash is wrapped around the mast. Arrghh

The reel leash avoids ALL those problems and I've even went winging as hurricane ZETA was approaching the Mexican Caribbean coast and fallen and watched my entire kit fly 3 meters away in a vicious gust and the leash held up perfectly. It's the only piece of equipment that I rinse religiously with fresh water after every sesh.

Since I have the RL ATTACHED TO A LONG PIECE OF spektra on the back of my old ozone snow kite harness.. It's free to slide from side to side. On the tough onshore days I DO connect the wrist leash to that same spektra, flip the wing strut down, and try to squeeze it between my feet to keep in more under control as I paddle like crazy to get past the break.. All the time remembering what I hate most about normal surfing.. Lol..

As soon as I can, push to knees and grab the wing and get over the last big swells "knee sailing".. When I stand up.. Sometimes the wrist leash IS A BIT OF A MESS around my shoulders or whatever but I don't care (love  the stretchy f1 leash for this) and I get past the break.. Once out, carefully transfer leash to wrist and away I go.
I'd love to hear the techniques and tricks that the rest of your have developed to get our through serious shore break... What you do when you are paddling your ass off but the wave still Jack's up so much you can't get past and it throws you back... And what you do with the inevitable fall right in the champaign bubbles of the impact zone when you know you have to take 4 more waves on the head!

I purchased 2 NSI stick on anchor points and put them on the nose of the board.. And tied a thick piece of spektra between them as a handle.. With the Hope that at LEAST I CAN control the board and pull the nose down under the wave and not let the leash pay out to maximum length and pull me towards the shallow rocks.. Wing in tow and getting tangled..

Let's keep this thread gong for those that ride in waves and maybe we can save eachother some "wing-mares" by sharing what we've all learned the hard way.

Good winds!
Kyrojoe in mexico

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2021, 07:42:06 PM »
Just saw the Alan Cadiz video with the "drogue chute" concept! I like it! Has promise...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2021, 11:04:36 PM »
Gone--I've had plenty of frustration trying to get out with a foil here in SoCal. San Onofre is pretty easy, but I'm surf foiling there. Trying to get out with a wing at Cardiff or Del Mar Rivermouth has been a chore. Short period messy swell and not enough wind. I can usually make it out at Cardiff but I got denied at the river mouth with a wing. I put the wing away and paddled out, but it was still a half-hour battle and once I got out I was turning out of everything just about as soon as I got up.

Maui definitely spoils a guy for surf foiling, and the Gorge does the same for wing ding.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2021, 03:39:59 PM »
I'm not convinced this technique will work in conditions where your board is quickly moving away from you -- been there and done that!

Looks simple in the attached video but for me, at least, it isn't quite so straight forward.  I'm keeping a board lease attached at all times that I'm on the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V48ZQWRmZwY

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal