Author Topic: Mast length  (Read 8390 times)

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mast length
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2021, 05:46:34 PM »
Fascinating discussion of mast length.

I went from 65cm (Project Cedrus carbon) to 75cm (Axis aluminum) to 91 cm (Project Cedrus carbon). My sessions so far focus on chasing  small swell (knee high) to huge swell (well overhead) in SF Bay (and occasionally small surf in ocean near HMB & Santa Cruz). I have been asking about how to harness more swell, especially the more common small to moderate-sized swell.

I love the feel of riding high on the 91cm .... but I frequently notice that I have the wings deeper than they could be. In other words, I think that in going from 65 to 75 to 91cm, that I am not riding with board 10 and 26 cm higher, thus, my foil has gone deeper. I do breach less in swell on 91 cm mast than 65 cm mast, for sure.

Some of the comments here suggest that having foil closer to surface captures more swell. This is interesting to me (since I am trying to capture more swell energy). This is almost certainly more relevant on a 18" foot swell than a swell that is 10 feet crest to trough. But, I am intrigued that maybe 91 cm is counter-productive for harnessing swell. Maybe I'll put the 75 back on (or grab an 85cm to experiment with).

I am currently riding Axis red fuse short (68 cm) with 1000 front and 440 rear. (Looking at HPS 980 with 400HA rear and ultrashort black fuse). 
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2021, 07:53:10 PM »

Some of the comments here suggest that having foil closer to surface captures more swell. This is interesting to me (since I am trying to capture more swell energy). This is almost certainly more relevant on a 18" foot swell than a swell that is 10 feet crest to trough. But, I am intrigued that maybe 91 cm is counter-productive for harnessing swell. Maybe I'll put the 75 back on (or grab an 85cm to experiment with).

In the small stuff, the depth of foil makes a MASSIVE difference in glide.  Just play with it and you will see.   I accept the occasional ventilation as the price to pay for riding high to capture that energy. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2021, 04:38:17 AM »
Some of the comments here suggest that having foil closer to surface captures more swell.

As Phil, said….definitely more energy picked up with foil running shallow.

I have 76, 86, 96 masts. Ask yourself what your face plant tolerance is. Mine is 86cm for everyday winging. The right combo of surfy, without crashing too much. And don’t forget shorter redirects quicker.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 04:40:15 AM by Dwight (DW) »

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2021, 07:59:17 AM »
I have ridden everything from 15"(redonk) to 105cm. I am with Dwight on the 86 Axis carbon being the daily driver. The 105 is really fun for cruising but lately I am focused on airs and its just too much metal to be hauling up. I do recall in my Slingshot days that the shorter masts made a noticeable increase in the sensitivity to turning big wings. Longer mast dulled out the foil a bit. Now that I am on HA foils, I don't really notice. And my lake is drying up and getting shallow so I may have to revisit something shorter. Stupid drought!

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2021, 09:59:00 PM »
I've used the entire gambit of lengths and have settled on 32-34 inch masts as my ideal foil mast.
Shorter isn't long enough in tight swell, longer has a bunch of throw but becomes a diminishing returns scenario in everything else in my mind.

I have spoken.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2021, 10:00:12 PM »
I've used the entire gambit of lengths and have settled on 32-34 inch masts as my ideal foil mast.
Shorter isn't long enough in tight swell, longer has a bunch of throw but becomes a diminishing returns scenario in everything else in my mind.

I have spoken.

Forgot the LOL

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal