Author Topic: YouTube Video GOES Viral - Why?  (Read 3714 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
YouTube Video GOES Viral - Why?
« on: February 11, 2021, 02:27:39 PM »
I posted a clip from Interstellar 5 years ago.   It was edited down to show the mile high wave surging over "Miller's Planet."

I posted this video to highlight what its like dropping on a big wave at Mavericks.  Specifically the top of the wave becomes NOTICEABLE convex and is catchable before dropping into the steep section and into the Concave bottom.

Regardless my video sat quietly for years then ~ 30 days ago it got 10,000 hits in a day, then 50K, then 100K then 500K and yesterday 1.1 Million hits in a single day. What the heck is going on?   

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: YouTube Video GOES Viral - Why?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 02:29:46 PM »
I had to turn off the comments and subscriber notifications because it was obnoxious.

Of all the videos I post and this one goes VERTICAL.  Can I capitalize on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-xh_gq8sbk
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 02:33:42 PM by Beasho »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 03:34:47 PM »
No. In fact, you could incur some legal fees if you were to try ::)

People are bored.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 03:53:56 PM »
Wallstreetbets must have discussed your video. Time to do a stock offering!

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 04:14:14 PM »
You [now] have over 1,000 subscribers and they are running advertisements on it.
With 5,985,398 views you must be getting some advertising revenues?

Cowabunga!
 8)
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 05:27:47 PM »
With 5,985,398 views you must be getting some advertising revenues?

Cowabunga!
 8)

Please tell me how!!!!  How to make money!!!!!

That number was so last hour.  It's up to 6,094,974 Views now. 

I think DailyBread knows about this stuff. 

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 07:34:58 PM »
Wow that's a trip!

I'd love to know HOW this happened, lot's of people wondering and speculating the same in the yt comments...

The content belongs to big movie studio, no way to monetize directly.   Figure out how to replicate and have hundreds of videos with millions of views, that's my understanding of how to make substantial income from views.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 01:09:35 AM »
Hi Beasho,

I am sure you have now found the Youtube Partner Program.  https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/72857?hl=en

The snip below is likely relevant:

If you’re in the YouTube Partner Program, you can earn money through YouTube. Because of that, we hold you to a higher standard.
To make sure we’re rewarding good creators, we review your channel before you’re accepted in the YouTube Partner Program. We also constantly review channels to make sure you’re meeting all our policies and guidelines.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 01:24:25 AM by Admin »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 01:24:04 AM »
Yes, no monetizing content from the studios.

There are a ton of reasons things show up in “the algorithm.” But getting pumped by YouTube is really these basics.

High click thru (people click on the video) which is about title and thumbnail. And retention rate which is if people watch the whole video.

YouTube rewards those who get clicks and keep eyeballs on videos. There are some pretty straightforward ways to do this and you may have just happened to stumble onto them.

The way you sustain is by getting subscribers so that your videos more quickly get evaluated by enough users that YouTube sees that they should try you in the suggestion engine. Otherwise you wait til some keyword or something puts you up in the cut. This is why a video about the Kardashians might hit the front page if they do something outrageous in the news and people start watching videos on them.

Also, turning off comments reduces your attractiveness to the algorithm, some say. And some dispute this. But engagement counts for something surely.

Enjoy it but don’t expect to repeat it without work or monetize it without your own content and “fair use” of studio clips which is vague.

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 04:47:49 AM »
Just enjoy the ride. That clip has shown up on my Fbook feed from several sources. How things go viral anywhere is a bit of a mystery. If any one individual understood it, they would be a billionaire. Personally, I think the "those aren't mountains..." quote is perfect for these times when folks are looking for visual, visceral ways to convey their sense of being overwhelmed......but what do I know?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 05:20:13 AM »
Interstellar was re-released late 2020 in China with great success, so that might have contributed to the renewed interest.  One of my favorite scenes in any movie for sure.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 07:43:25 AM »
So, can I buy one of your t-shirts  ?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 09:55:55 AM »
There is a fair use path to monetizing other people's work, but it doesn't pay very well, and it's arcane, as many music artists have discovered. You can post a video of your own music, but if you post it under your name and the music was previously recorded as some other entity (even if it's you) then most of the money youtube might pay goes to the other entity by some weird formula they don't explain, but it looks to be something close to 95 to 99%. Their intellectual property recognition software is startlingly good, I've read that if you just swipe a riff to create a new song and the resulting video gets big enough for Youtube to payout they will know and will somehow divide the take. If you cover someone else's original work then perhaps 95% goes to them, 5% to you. If you've wondered why all those "reaction" videos show up, it's because someone can post a famous artist's work, get all the clicks the artist's name draws, then just react to the performance and get 5% or so. In the case that the "other entity" is actually you, the money might actually eventually circle around and get to you.

But in your case, you had no original content on the post at all, so NO SOUP FOR YOU.

PS, my new obsession with the hyper-talented Mary Bender led me down this path of researching Youtube royalty weirdness a few weeks ago after watching a video she did on the issues. It's an odd coincidence that you had this experience within the narrow timeframe of my ability to recover this information from my ridiculously FIFO memory. And you can thank (or curse) DJ for all this since he initiated the obsession with his Sultans of Swing cover post.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 10:10:45 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 02:49:32 PM »
Wow that's a trip!
I'd love to know HOW this happened, lot's of people wondering and speculating the same in the yt comments...

Grey covered this a few years ago, things are constantly evolving, but this is the general idea.     

https://youtu.be/KW0eUrUiyxo

Destin did some interesting videos about a year ago...

https://youtu.be/1PGm8LslEb4

The content belongs to big movie studio, no way to monetize directly.   Figure out how to replicate and have hundreds of videos with millions of views, that's my understanding of how to make substantial income from views. 

Derek - another favorite - about a year ago.  Successful content producers in educational/science based channels seem to work really hard and pay for help.  Smart guys,  getting rich the old fashioned way - with a real product...  Amazing history/poli sci channels coming up as well...       

https://youtu.be/fHsa9DqmId8

Support your local shaper

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal