Author Topic: Shopping for first wing/foil/board. Need advice  (Read 3875 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Shopping for first wing/foil/board. Need advice
« on: June 01, 2021, 09:59:10 AM »
I'm ready to get into wingfoiling but want to avoid buying the wrong gear.

I'm 63yo, 6' tall, 175 pounds. Eight years SUP surfer. Five years windsurfing in the '80s.

Using the Starboard Wingboard as an example https://sup.star-board.com/wing-boarding/wingboard/ would the 6'7 x 28" at 115 liters or something similar be a good size to learn on?

What size foil should I be looking for?

What is the best wing size for moderate winds? I'm guessing typical wind speeds will be 15 - 20 mph.

Any suggestions on what brands to go with? Ease of learning, performance and something I won't grow out of too quickly are what I'm looking for, but I also don't want to spend too much.

So far, I really like the looks and price of the Starboard Wingboard 6'7 in the Lite Tech. Any opinions on these?

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 10:43:04 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Shopping for first wing/foil/board. Need advice
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 11:06:57 AM »
I think that's a great board choice. I wish I would have got the 7' version but I'm a little bigger than you and I could have used a very easy board.

Wing size would depend on your normal wind conditions. In my neck of the woods which only has minimal wind a few days each month the the Takoon 7m has been my go to and is a great performer as well. Maybe the 6m would be good for you. (Worth noting not all 6m wings are the same size which makes things harder than they need to be.)

A friend your size uses the 6'7" starboard and the 7m starboard wing in all conditions. 13 to 30 mph and has no plains on getting a smaller wing or board.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 01:17:43 PM »
Board is a good size for you (115 to 125 litres to start at your weight).  If you're going to start with only one wind wing then a 5 or 5.5 would work for the winds you referenced.  Also, start with a big foil wing -- around 2000 sq. cm.  The foil size is crucial to getting started.  Everything you need can probably be found on the used market for a fraction of the cost of new stuff -- if you want to upgrade you can sell it without taking a big hit.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 01:19:28 PM by deja vu »

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 02:29:12 PM »
hey Badger, I started with a Fanatic Sky SUP board, 6'6" 115 ltr which is a GREAT board and ideal to learn on, but I quickly advanced and went down to a Fanatic Sky Wing 5'4" 95 ltr wing specific board.  I still held onto the 1st board because it is also a SUP foil board so not obsolete.  Buy something that won't be obsolete.  With your SUP experience and limited windsurfing experience, you have a head start.

My first wing was Duotone 4 m but I found it too small for light wind days so I bought a 5m and 6m. It was MUCH easier to learn once I bought the larger wings. Before that, I was having hard time getting the speed to get up on foil and that's what it's all about.   I find I use the 6m as much as the other two combined.  I can handle it in 20+ winds but it also works beautifully in 12+ . I prefer being over powered, but when the wind is really strong 25+ I use the 4 or 5m.  It's  a lot easier to depower a wing than a windsurf sail..

word of advice, when you get the board and foil, have someone tow you behind a boat or jet ski (no wing) get to learn how to ride the foil first. You'll learn in an hr or two.  Then try a day on a SUP and the wing (no foil board)  figure out how the wing works, practice going up wind on a SUP..if you can do that, going up wind on a foil board will be cake.   Once you are comfortable with each discipline, then put them together and have fun.    I have seen a few guys try to learn from scratch using a wing and foil board for 1st time and they struggled terribly and were frustrated...don't rush it.

I will tell you that windsurfing experience definitely helps...

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 02:35:11 PM »
Great info, thanks everyone.  Hey Don, will you be foiling in Maine this summer?

One other question, are the slotted foil mounting boxes all standard? Will any mast fit on any board regardless of brand?

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 03:15:28 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 02:48:53 PM »
Hey Badger, we sold our house Kittery Point in Dec, and we bought a house in  Boothbay . Its on a cove off the river so I hope to wing foil once I learn where the rocks are😆. Wing foiling is so much fun and a feeling hard to describe.  You will love wing foiling.  If you have any questions ask away..

My advice is to buy a foil for a track and not tuttle box unless you must have a Go Foil. You will have more options. I really like my Fanatic foils 2000 Aero foil
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 03:00:11 PM by Caribsurf »
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 03:06:59 PM »
Hey Badger, we sold our house Kittery Point in Dec, and we bought a house in  Boothbay . Its on a cove off the river so I hope to wing foil once I learn where the rocks are😆. Wing foiling is so much fun and a feeling hard to describe.  You will love wing foiling.  If you have any questions ask away..

That's awesome. I know the Boothbay area well. I used to sail my boat through there every summer. Have your wife get some video of you on the foil once you have the place dialed. Watch out for the currents in those rivers.

I'm definitely going with the mast track. Tuttle boxes seem like a thing of the past.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 03:11:42 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

WingNut Ohana

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 06:55:44 PM »
Just sold my 6'7" wing board and Starboard 2000 foil set up. It's an ok board to learn on, but there are way better options. As a SUP surfer myself, I am partial to Starboard and that's why I got the wing-board. But I believe that Starboard really missed the boat on this one. They are too much of a SUP maker and not a Wing board maker, so they made a narrow SUP with a foil track.

The 6'7" in lite tech is too heavy! In the beginning you will be carrying your board a lot while doing the walk of shame. The handle on the board only allows you to use 3 fingers, not your whole hand. This led to a tennis elbow issue that I'm still doing PT for. I wish they had installed the great handle that's on their SUP's, and made the thing 5 lbs lighter.

I would suggest getting something in the 115L-ish sub 6 foot range. Like a Quattro wind drifter, Kalama, Fanatic... Short and fat is the shape of wing boards, not long and skinny.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 05:17:18 AM »

My advice is to buy a foil for a track and not tuttle box unless you must have a Go Foil. You will have more options. I really like my Fanatic foils 2000 Aero foil

Jealous, Carib. Boothbay is a such a sweet spot----a well-preserved soulful Maine town. My most important business partner lives there. I surfed Popham's, right nearby, ea Fall storm season, for the four years my daughter was at Bowdoin. Dawn patrols on October parents' weekends were pretty charmed.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 06:33:33 AM »
Just sold my 6'7" wing board and Starboard 2000 foil set up. It's an ok board to learn on, but there are way better options. As a SUP surfer myself, I am partial to Starboard and that's why I got the wing-board. But I believe that Starboard really missed the boat on this one. They are too much of a SUP maker and not a Wing board maker, so they made a narrow SUP with a foil track.

The 6'7" in lite tech is too heavy! In the beginning you will be carrying your board a lot while doing the walk of shame. The handle on the board only allows you to use 3 fingers, not your whole hand. This led to a tennis elbow issue that I'm still doing PT for. I wish they had installed the great handle that's on their SUP's, and made the thing 5 lbs lighter.

I would suggest getting something in the 115L-ish sub 6 foot range. Like a Quattro wind drifter, Kalama, Fanatic... Short and fat is the shape of wing boards, not long and skinny.

Thanks. That is exactly the insight I was hoping for.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Starboard but I think I'll wait and do more research. 19 lbs does seem heavy and the long boxy rails are unconventional compared to other companies who have been making boards for a while. I also noticed that the handle looked really small. Even though I saw those things, I was easily taken in by the videos. Your post was very helpful. I will look closer at those brands you mentioned.

This is all somewhat new to me but I'm learning fast. I can use all the help I can get.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2021, 07:16:39 AM »

Jealous, Carib. Boothbay is a such a sweet spot----a well-preserved soulful Maine town. My most important business partner lives there. I surfed Popham's, right nearby, ea Fall storm season, for the four years my daughter was at Bowdoin. Dawn patrols on October parents' weekends were pretty charmed.
[/quote]

Ya after 13 years in Kittery Point, we felt it was time for a change.  It just got too crowded and developed in Kittery and no end in sight.  The surf crowds and parking in York got ridiculous and everyone and their sister surfs now...not the case 13 years ago.

Really nice up here and we found a property on a cove.  Time to take up sailing in my old age  ;D
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2021, 08:02:22 AM »

Ya after 13 years in Kittery Point, we felt it was time for a change.  It just got too crowded and developed in Kittery and no end in sight.  The surf crowds and parking in York got ridiculous and everyone and their sister surfs now...not the case 13 years ago.

Really nice up here and we found a property on a cove.  Time to take up sailing in my old age  ;D

Definitely take up sailing.

Maine is a world-class sailing/cruising destination. I cruised the coast every summer for 20 years. Sometimes I'd sail as far as Eastport. I owned three sailboats during that time. A Freedom 21, Catalina 27, and a Tartan 34. The Tartan became too expensive to take care of so I sold it. That's when I took up SUP and have been boatless ever since. My best memories were on the Freedom 21 which I owned the longest and logged over 14,000 miles, mostly singlehanded. I slept over 1000 nights on that boat.

You should definitely get a sailboat, explore the coast, and bring the wing foil along. I'd like to get another boat someday but I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to afford it.

My advice. Get the smallest boat that you and your wife can be reasonably comfortable on for a week or two. Having shoal draft under four feet will allow you to anchor almost anywhere.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 08:20:24 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal