Author Topic: Black Project Hydro Flowx - considering a new paddle  (Read 2519 times)

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Black Project Hydro Flowx - considering a new paddle
« on: April 26, 2021, 03:44:03 PM »
Super neato looking - maybe I'm a sucker for weird shapes. The "fin" at the top of the blade - to encourage water to close around the shaft - I assume.

Has anyone tried this? The price is startling. Would be about $550 with a first buy discount. I'm thinking a "large" - about 88" - my current goto Ke Nalu is a Konihi 95 cut to 79".

Erik

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Black Project Hydro Flowx - considering a new paddle
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 04:15:59 PM »
That's one hefty price to pay, especially when you already have a good paddle. There are other good choices for a lot less if you really must ;)

See this thread: https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,37085.0.html
in progress...

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 04:26:28 PM »
If you search you will find my review and comparison to the Quickblade UV.

It is a paddle that can still hold if you mess up the stroke and it does not wander side to side but it will slap and splash if you do not have a perfect entry.

Aaron
SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 05:24:12 PM »
I tried a few search attempts to find posts on Black Project and Flowx etc  lol I clearly fail at that.

Eh - I should stick with Ke Nalu. I have 3 blades - wait - 4 I got the plastic one (which at 160 is their "entry kit" - it's cheaper with the plastic blade than with the separate shaft and handle). I've been thinking of trying the extended handed and a shorter shaft - using hot glue to adjust length down - the adjustable/travel shaft is just not comparable/it's too clunky. I should be using the plastic blade for my river paddling I'm chipping the edges of my good ones - I just don't get the good plant with the plastic when I need it :(  - plus yeah it's heavy. I could just about get 2 more complete for a Black Project fancy. Maybe if I could test one and it was the best thing since sliced bread THEN I would just buy it :D .

Edit: I can get to the ballpark of the Hydro FlowX at Ke Nalu FWIW - Konihi with extended grip and 100S Flex is $525 - the BP FlowX is in my card at 562.50 shipped(w/10% discount) So. Maybe it's just where premium stuff is going. Maybe I should order a Ke Nalu thru Greenwater Sports - he's been good to me so far on my Starboard and his prices match the direct cost at Ke Nalu.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 05:30:06 PM by deepmud »

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 06:16:54 PM »
aww jeez you have me 2nd guessing myself again (and I should have tried a couple more versions of flowx/flow x :D ) .
I haven't tried ANY concave/scoop-style paddles . Your comment on "this blade is very powerful so I am not sure if I would use it for over 15-20km"
I do a lot of longer paddles like that - on the flatwater or in rivers. Maybe that helps me decide - the Ke Nalu set has worked pretty well with 82/95/102 I have.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal