Author Topic: Thruster vs Quad test on new board  (Read 7150 times)

supthecreek

Re: Thruster vs Quad test on new board
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2021, 07:09:52 PM »
Great to see you surfing so well Dana!
I am glad you guys do all this fin figuring.... I only notice if a board really doesn't work with fins I put in it.

I have too many boards, some work better for me with quad, some as thruster.
Mostly I prefer fairly small fins... sometimes bigger fronts and very small rears to get a twinzer feel.

But I am no fin expert... but I have a large assortment and eventually stumble on to a combo that works for each board.
Been having fun with smallish C Drives lately.

I got up near you today.... nice swell and wind  :)

Wazza66

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 03:00:17 AM »
The Hobie CMLB Raw rips as a thruster.  But I really dig riding it with a 8.5" single fin on small days.  The 12' PSH Gun is also fun as a single fin.

Funny - I have ridden my PSH 12' as a single fin for almost 10 years.  The reason - It is faster.  I don't care about turning so much. 

As a quad it was a DOG!  I pretty much use the 12' PSH when it is guaranteed 12 to 15' faces and UP, UP and Away.

I am interested to know which single fin you run in your PSH 12 footer as I have the same board but run thruster set up.

StarboardSUPMan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2021, 10:43:47 AM »
Resurrecting this thread to update some new findings after shaping a new board.

I have finally got a quad setup I enjoy (white board) and I did a comparison to a board I don't like (orange board).

My Orange board slides out on me in hard bottom and top turns.  The white board holds nicely on bottom/top turns, but I can still blow the fins out in a snap.  I enjoy the feel of thruster and this feels closer to that maybe at touch more playful.  It's enjoyable for my tastes but probably won't work well for someone who doesn't like to put a lot of power into their turns.

Here are 2 pics comparing the different dimensions of each board.  I think by reducing the 12" tail width from 18.25" to 16" that puts my rear quads closer together giving it more grip.  I also set the fin boxes back 1" giving it more grip as well.  This has solved all of my quad sliding issues and I couldn't be happier.  Hopefully someone can use this if they are having similar troubles.

Fin box placement
White board
Front 15.5
Rear 7.5
Middle 3.5
Run center fin at 7” loose
6” stiff
12” tail width 16”

Orange board
Front 17.5
Rear 8.5
Middle 7