Author Topic: Okinawa Remote Point Break  (Read 4665 times)

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Okinawa Remote Point Break
« on: February 07, 2021, 05:25:51 PM »
Sun is back out. I get so many comments about the stupid mask, it's ridiculous. Before all this covid BS, people simply assumed (rightly) it's for the sun. Now they automatically assume it's for covid...when you're out in the water...surfing...alone... Like the whole world went and caught a case of the stupid. Skin cancer is real. Have to deal with it all the time now, because the first 3 decades surfing, I was dumb. I'm still dumb, but smarter about four hours on the ocean at UV index 7 in February /rant

So anyway, this is a remote point break. 20 minute paddle by SUP. Only left. It gets big and nasty. Super shallow. When it's overhead, it'll drain, and half the wave turns into the lip. When it gets really big, think Teahupo'o with a pinch of Ship Sterns. This break hates people, and loves human flesh. Today is head to a little bit overhead on the peak we're riding. Probably close to double at the point, but that's above my paygrade on a SUP  ;D  Even on a smaller day like today, it's constantly shifting, and shape changing as it moves across the reef. To surf it well, you have to be able to read the reef and water pretty well.

Board is the Blue Planet Pocket Knife at 8'8"x29"x116L with Futures F6 Honeycomb fins set up as a thruster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6euxhjBoc4

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Okinawa Remote Point Break
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 05:45:12 PM »
Nice video. Looks like you had a fun session. BTW, the color of the board looks real nice.

Thanks for sharing your video.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 06:21:49 PM »
Sweet looking wave! ... that water clarity blows me away every time!

Question for you ... I ran into a guy from the USA Surfing org a couple weeks ago here in FL and talking to him it sounded like the Olympic surfing was for sure happening this year. Wanted to ask you what the Japanese peoples view is on the whole Olympic thing, and of course the likelihood of an Olympic surfing event actually happening?
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 10:31:14 PM »
Cool video Oki. Great wave. Shaft mount POV is working well.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 02:27:14 AM »
Sweet looking wave! ... that water clarity blows me away every time!

Question for you ... I ran into a guy from the USA Surfing org a couple weeks ago here in FL and talking to him it sounded like the Olympic surfing was for sure happening this year. Wanted to ask you what the Japanese peoples view is on the whole Olympic thing, and of course the likelihood of an Olympic surfing event actually happening?

The government keeps saying it's going to happen, while the average Japanese citizen just rolls their eyes because from all angles it doesn't appear possible. People are for it, but want to know how they're going to do it safely, for which there's no answer...

Cool video Oki. Great wave. Shaft mount POV is working well.

Thanks man. Starting to get the hang of it.

Nice video. Looks like you had a fun session. BTW, the color of the board looks real nice.

Thanks for sharing your video.

Thanks NW.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 05:25:09 AM »
Pretty scenery and great looking water - lucky you. 

? ..Does the clearity of the water mess with your depth perception?  Is the bottom all full of urchins and unfriendlies?   Like you, those Florida fishing guides wore Covid scarfs before it was cool.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 07:38:14 AM »
Remote peak, good waves....  you are chasing the right dream Oki, and nailing it!!!  :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 09:10:33 AM »
Good plan with the mask. I just did a bout with Flourouricel that was unpleasant, and I still have a bleeding spot on my nose that's probably Basal Cell cancer. I've been wearing a mask from Cynthia (Cynbad) Brown called the Solshaka. https://solshaka.com/  It works really well, the best part is the mesh over the mouth that prevents the waterboarding that a simple pull-up gaiter provides when I fall in.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 07:22:12 PM »
here i thought that was for covid!

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 02:33:30 AM »
Pretty scenery and great looking water - lucky you. 

? ..Does the clearity of the water mess with your depth perception?  Is the bottom all full of urchins and unfriendlies?   Like you, those Florida fishing guides wore Covid scarfs before it was cool.

Jim

Hey Jim. When it's small and dead calm, yea, the clarity can really mess you up. It's actually something we talk about, not being able to see the water or the wave...LOL Just the slightest breeze that ruffles the surface and it's all good. As far as the bottom, not so much urchins, but it's all live coral. Hands and feet suffer the most. On this day, my buddy barely kicked the bottom with the top of his foot while getting back on his board, and it bled pretty good for three hours... As long as you clean it good, no worries, but it will hurt and ooze for a week... It's not as bad as people make it out to be and serious abrasions are pretty rare.

Remote peak, good waves....  you are chasing the right dream Oki, and nailing it!!!  :)

Thanks Rick!

Good plan with the mask. I just did a bout with Flourouricel that was unpleasant, and I still have a bleeding spot on my nose that's probably Basal Cell cancer. I've been wearing a mask from Cynthia (Cynbad) Brown called the Solshaka. https://solshaka.com/  It works really well, the best part is the mesh over the mouth that prevents the waterboarding that a simple pull-up gaiter provides when I fall in.

I had a BCC cut out from behind my ear last year. Twice because the margins weren't clear the first time... Pretty unpleasant while healing... I have Actinic Keratosis spots on my nose, upper cheeks, top of the head... Couple times per year the dermo freezes them off, but if the keep coming back, he cuts them out and gets a biopsy. Even with a hat, the glare off the water gets me, so on many days, mask it is. This one is from Shelta with breathing holes. Doesn't feel like you're being water boarded when it's wet  ;D 

here i thought that was for covid!

I have land masks for that  :D  No mask politics to deal with in Japan.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 08:13:41 AM »
OkiWild taming the wild breaks of Okinawa!~ That's a good lookin' sesh! Crazy clear water and that reef ain't no joke!
What GoPro are you using? The screenshots were over 3mb ea and had to be downsized to post.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 12:44:54 AM »
OkiWild taming the wild breaks of Okinawa!~ That's a good lookin' sesh! Crazy clear water and that reef ain't no joke!
What GoPro are you using? The screenshots were over 3mb ea and had to be downsized to post.

Thanks! Hero 7 Back at 1080/60/Superview/Hypersmooth.

Probably going to upgrade to "full kook" here shortly, and start wearing booties, too. All the little nicks and scrapes are mostly to the feet. I tried booties back in my pronie days, but they stick in the wax. Another possible positive out of SUP. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal