Author Topic: Winter Gloves for the wing-ding  (Read 4717 times)

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Winter Gloves for the wing-ding
« on: February 06, 2021, 05:50:31 PM »
This is my first cold water season and finding cold water gear that works and fits has been a up hill battle. Closest water sports shop is 400 mile away so shopping has been mostly trial and error online, so I thought I'd share what I found as far as gloves go.

I found two pair that work pretty good with my wing ding. The finger gloves that work the best for me are the Ride Engine pre-cruved finger 2mm gloves. They don't require any extra effort to hold the wing handles which is a big deal for me. But on some slippery surfaces like my foilboard it does require a some extra strength to keep it from slipping out of my hands. Strange that the Thailand made gloves I've seen all have slippery-er grip surface coating on the palms. The China made gloves I've seen seem to have better palm grip surface. Anyway, the warmth is good for what they are 2mm no lining gloves. If I could figure out how to improve the surface texture these would be the perfect glove for moderate cold days.

https://rideengine.com/products/2mm-gloves

The other pair I like are mittens that are really nice on colder days for my wimpy hands. Kokatat Inferno Mitts 3mm with some nice fleece lining. The grip is perfect as everything sticks to the palm really good. The curved finger shape and the grippy surface texture sticks good to my board and paddles... better than bare hands. Zero extra effort to hold anything. I'd go as far as saying they are a net positive gain on holding onto things. The down side to the Kokatat mittens is the cuffs are on the loose side and can let water in. The sizes run small. Also the quality of the seams are NOT near as good as the Thailand made Ride Engine or O Neill psycho Tech mittens. But they perform so much better than my 5 mm psychotech mittens that I don't care that they likely won't last as long.

https://www.outdoorplay.com/Kokatat-Inferno-Mitt-Kayak-Gloves

So for anybody who can't handle cold hand these are two gloves you might want too consider.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 06:42:08 PM by Fishman »
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Gloves for the wing-ding
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 08:16:52 PM »
Spray on either some 3M contact cement and let it dry or some flex seal. For something less messy and less permanent melt on some cold water surf wax and sink it into the surface with a hair dryer. I haven't tried any of these with a wing, but they all work well with paddles. the wax thing works surprisingly well.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 10:47:37 PM »
This is my first cold water season and finding cold water gear that works and fits has been a up hill battle. Closest water sports shop is 400 mile away so shopping has been mostly trial and error online, so I thought I'd share what I found as far as gloves go.

I found two pair that work pretty good with my wing ding. The finger gloves that work the best for me are the Ride Engine pre-cruved finger 2mm gloves. They don't require any extra effort to hold the wing handles which is a big deal for me. But on some slippery surfaces like my foilboard it does require a some extra strength to keep it from slipping out of my hands. Strange that the Thailand made gloves I've seen all have slippery-er grip surface coating on the palms. The China made gloves I've seen seem to have better palm grip surface. Anyway, the warmth is good for what they are 2mm no lining gloves. If I could figure out how to improve the surface texture these would be the perfect glove for moderate cold days.

The other pair I like are mittens that are really nice on colder days for my wimpy hands. Kokatat Inferno Mitts 3mm with some nice fleece lining. The grip is perfect as everything sticks to the palm really good. The curved finger shape and the grippy surface texture sticks good to my board and paddles... better than bare hands. Zero extra effort to hold anything. I'd go as far as saying they are a net positive gain on holding onto things. The down side to the Kokatat mittens is the cuffs are on the loose side and can let water in. The sizes run small. Also the quality of the seams are NOT near as good as the Thailand made Ride Engine or O Neill psycho Tech mittens. But they perform so much better than my 5 mm psychotech mittens that I don't care that they likely won't last as long.

So for anybody who can't handle cold hand these are two gloves you might want too consider.

Perfect timing. I was just looking at winter gloves and the Kokatat Inferno mitts were one of the ones I was interested in. So I have two questions for you.

If you fell and were in the water, would the Kokatat mitts let in a lot of water?

And secondly, if you had on a full wetsuit, so the mitts went over top of the wetsuit sleeves, do you think that would do enough to create a tighter seal and stop water coming in?

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 11:06:30 PM »
Spray on either some 3M contact cement and let it dry or some flex seal. For something less messy and less permanent melt on some cold water surf wax and sink it into the surface with a hair dryer. I haven't tried any of these with a wing, but they all work well with paddles. the wax thing works surprisingly well.
Excellent, Thx. I was hoping there was something to make it better.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 11:20:46 PM »

Perfect timing. I was just looking at winter gloves and the Kokatat Inferno mitts were one of the ones I was interested in. So I have two questions for you.

If you fell and were in the water, would the Kokatat mitts let in a lot of water?

And secondly, if you had on a full wetsuit, so the mitts went over top of the wetsuit sleeves, do you think that would do enough to create a tighter seal and stop water coming in?

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Yeah, I tucked them in the wetsuit I and it good that way for me 
I suppose if you have bigger wrist or a thicker wet suit sleeves they might even be ok over the sleeves for some.
 With kokata get one size bigger than their size chart (or your normal glove size)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 11:27:23 PM by Fishman »

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 11:43:16 PM »
Maybe someone else have some gloves or mittens that they can recommend. I forgot Bill has tons of experience paddles and probably gloves too.

This year the trick seems to be finding the right size of anything wetsuit related.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 03:53:00 AM »
These were gold windsurfing standard for many years. https://glacierglove.com/

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 07:52:23 AM »
I'm not sure how cold it is where you are but I found the best gloves for me while windsurfing in the winter were regular dish washing gloves.  They are warm because they keep your hands dry, they don't restrict your grip and are very cheap.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 07:59:59 AM »
I have been winter winging in the Oneill 5mil Lobster Gloves and staying toasty. Using a harness with gloves is key IMO so you get a rest for your hands.

https://us.oneill.com/products/copy-of-psycho-tech-1-5mm-glove

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 11:50:05 AM »
I have been winter winging in the Oneill 5mil Lobster Gloves and staying toasty. Using a harness with gloves is key IMO so you get a rest for your hands.

https://us.oneill.com/products/copy-of-psycho-tech-1-5mm-glove
I love the build quality and the warmth of the 5m Psycho Tech mittens, but I found them to be super slippery on the board. And the shape being flat seems to require a good bit of extra effort to hold on to the wing as well.  When I wore those my forearms would ware out really fast. Night and day difference compared to the Kokata.  But I don't were a harness, yet.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 11:52:44 AM by Fishman »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 02:06:12 PM »
I'm not sure how cold it is where you are but I found the best gloves for me while windsurfing in the winter were regular dish washing gloves.  They are warm because they keep your hands dry, they don't restrict your grip and are very cheap.

Your Cali roots are showing. Yeah, we used to wear those for winter windsurfing in the gorge in the 80s, but I'd have to hold my hands in the heater vent with the heat turned to 11 for half an hour before I could drive home. These days there are much better gloves, and the pre-curled ones are remarkable. I'll never buy flat neoprene gloves again.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard