Author Topic: Blue Planet Show- Wing Foil interviews  (Read 51222 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Blue Planet Show- Wing Foil interviews
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2021, 07:29:33 PM »
Zane was the first guy into the water and ran flat out, all day long. He'd come up, fill out the review paperwork as fast as humanly possible, grab another board and run flat out into the water. At 14 he was polite to everyone, respectful of everyone, nice to everyone, always helpful. Hasn't changed.
No he hasn't. He was at Sano a couple three years ago, and was the most stoked, charismatic, and friendliest guy on the beach. It was like you'd known him of years on the first greeting, and he treated all like he'd known them for years, and was best friends with everyone. For someone I consider a professional athlete, he didn't exhibit one once of "I'm better or more special than everyone" like so many
pro athletes can do. Incredible young man.

Kai Lenny was another one just like Zane when he passed through Sano several months before Zane...two of the nicest, most down to earth guys you'd ever meet. Their parents (and community) raised them right. More parents and kids nowadays could/should take lessons from those families. 
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2021, 09:48:12 AM »
Robert -- you discussed with Alan one of the main issues some have had with the Echo, that being the tendency of the Echo, when in the water to sink at the rear.  There is a simple and inexpensive solution to this issue.  Purchase a pool noodle and cut off 6 to 10 inches and slide it over the rear (the extension) of the boom.  This will provide enough flotation at the rear of the wing to eliminate the problem.  The 6 to 10" of poole noodle will be very stiff on the boom due to the small hole down its centre and this will keep it from sliding around on the boom's extension.  You just need to pull the boom's extension out of the main part of the boom and slide the noodle over the extension and then attach the draft line before sliding the extension back into the main part of the boom -- adds about 10 to 15 seconds to the process.  To remove the draft line you once again pull the extension out of the boom (leave the noodle on the extension).  By adding the a section of the poole noodle to the boom you are in essence adding a mini centre strut to the boom.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 09:54:49 AM by deja vu »

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2021, 10:26:41 AM »
Robert -- you discussed with Alan one of the main issues some have had with the Echo, that being the tendency of the Echo, when in the water to sink at the rear.  There is a simple and inexpensive solution to this issue.  Purchase a pool noodle and cut off 6 to 10 inches and slide it over the rear (the extension) of the boom.  This will provide enough flotation at the rear of the wing to eliminate the problem.  The 6 to 10" of poole noodle will be very stiff on the boom due to the small hole down its centre and this will keep it from sliding around on the boom's extension.  You just need to pull the boom's extension out of the main part of the boom and slide the noodle over the extension and then attach the draft line before sliding the extension back into the main part of the boom -- adds about 10 to 15 seconds to the process.  To remove the draft line you once again pull the extension out of the boom (leave the noodle on the extension).  By adding the a section of the poole noodle to the boom you are in essence adding a mini centre strut to the boom.
That's a great tip, thank you!
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2021, 01:34:42 PM »
Thank you for all the great feedback.  I just posted episode #4 long form interview with Annie Reickert,  a talented young water woman from Maui.  We talk about surfing, big wave riding and Jaws wipeouts, foiling, and, of course wing foiling.

https://youtu.be/xQZHLpLGYTo

You can also listen to the audio only interviews as a podcast on apple and android apps or here:

https://blueplanet.podbean.com/e/annie-reickert-wing-foil-interview-episode-4/
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2021, 01:02:40 PM »
Rob Whittall is co founder and head designer at Ozone and a partner at Armstrong.  He talks about his background, the Wasp V2 design, the Armstrong A+ system, and more good stuff you will enjoy if you are a diehard windfoiler:
https://youtu.be/tLOelPbv28A
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2021, 05:58:59 AM »
Excellent interview Robert! 👍🤙
Although I get the impression he is being modest about his 'Average Joe' abilities if he's getting foiling on a 4m in 10-12 knots!
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Alysum

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2021, 01:52:04 PM »
Yes I really enjoyed this one. Thanks.

Haha yes a 4m in 10kn even at 60 kg yeah nah  ;D

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2021, 05:26:22 AM »
Although I get the impression he is being modest about his 'Average Joe' abilities if he's getting foiling on a 4m in 10-12 knots!

I feel like it is a load of bs on his part. I am almost 2 years in my winging journey and I have only tried original 6m wasp. Power wise it felt somewhat between 4-5m swings that I have. It was around 12 mph winds that day when I tried it and I WAS NOT able to get up on the foil with 6m wasp and I was dancing circles on my 5m Swing. The same story with the 6m S25 Naish. Not great wings in my book. So I am quite skeptical of those statements. Original duotone 5m had a great power delivery but was unruly in the surf.
Interesting to see what they have done with v2 version.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2021, 07:09:35 AM »
gone_foiling,

When windsurfing was a young sport, there were years where board design drove sail design. Then there were years where sail design drove board design. Those days are mostly over, thankfully.

With wing surfing, we are at a stage where two items affect wing design and how it works. Foils “and” boards. Then throw in so many different techniques, from different users, and what a shit show of opposing opinions we get.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2021, 08:32:56 AM »
DW,

When you put different users on different setups and one works particularly well for all while others suck, then you can draw some conclusions. I understand all the different aspects of foiling but when everything worked but then you introduce a new variable and it doesn’t anymore that tells me something. All I know wasp and naish were designed for much windier spots so “average joe” can just stay home if it is 10kn unless you are into self mutilation. It’s just my shitty opinion.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

SimonP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2021, 10:57:01 AM »
Yes I really enjoyed this one. Thanks.
Haha yes a 4m in 10kn even at 60 kg yeah nah  ;D
Unless he is winging somewhere with lots of current. Ozone do a lot of their testing in Raglan, New Zealand where the outgoing tide is at least 5 knots.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2021, 01:21:16 PM »
Huge factor in getting up on foil is how flat the water is.
Even more so with modern thin foils,they need boardspeed to rise.In chop it can be really frustrating,even more in cross chop.
But if the water is flat...

https://youtu.be/KyEXhYHhDBQ

FoilMad

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2021, 01:51:58 PM »
I weigh 65kg and with a gl180, 70 litre board and wasp 4 I can definitely foil in 10 knots on a lake. Hard to start but once up I can have fun. The wasp is stiffer than the fone and nothing like the naish. Maybe your 6m try on the wasp could have done with some air in it as the wasp was the stiffest out of the early wings and still holds up well against some of the newer wings. The handles were not good. Fone may have been better on the apparent wind but not low down. My opinion.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2021, 04:06:33 PM »
Huge factor in getting up on foil is how flat the water is.
Even more so with modern thin foils,they need boardspeed to rise.In chop it can be really frustrating,even more in cross chop.
But if the water is flat...

https://youtu.be/KyEXhYHhDBQ

I've been having huge frustration getting my 65kg ass up in 10 knots and I've just bought a narrower, pointier board to try and help get through the chop in the lighter stuff, but I know my foil pumping technique needs to improve if I'm going to get 10 knots cracked. Currently nowhere near doing it on a 4m but will continue to plug away at it.

I appreciate the video, but I'm suspicious of the wind speed claim. Really looks more than 10 knots to me. 10 knots is a gentle breeze which doesn't pull at much as it appears at the start...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2021, 06:23:35 PM »
I appreciate the video, but I'm suspicious of the wind speed claim. Really looks more than 10 knots to me. 10 knots is a gentle breeze which doesn't pull at much as it appears at the start...

I am a bit suspicious because there were what looked like wakes/whitecaps coming off the back of his board to leeward.  HOWEVER Gunnar is a Wind-Ding superhero.  And he showed the wing graphs. 

You have to compare your number of sessions and experience against his. 

I am not calling BS on anyone that has 4X or 10X the number of winging sessions that I have (I am around 30).  At this point I have to sit by their knee and listen.   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal