Author Topic: Strong wind is SO much better than wimpy wind  (Read 2438 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Strong wind is SO much better than wimpy wind
« on: February 02, 2021, 08:59:52 PM »
Ow, ow, ow, fuck, ow, ow. My knee is not happy. My face isn't either. I went to Mission bay today to help a new friend try out wing foiling. He has lots of kite foiling experience. I basically handed him a 5-meter wing and gave him ten minutes of instruction and he got up to about day 2.5 of usual instruction in about an hour. He's headed to Maui to take some lessons from Alan Cadiz. Nice guy.

Anyway, there was a little wind so I took the 6M out with my 1150 and 340. Pretty wimpy wind, but I was there, so I gave it a go. I got up a few times, pumping like a maniac. there was a Japanese guy out with a 5M who was doing great but he probably weighed 80 pounds. Even when I got up I had to pump a lot--fortunately that 1150/340 combo is a pumping machine. Unfortunately, my knee has about 30 pumps in it and a did a few hundred. So DAMN. That hurts.

I'm also doing the Flourouricel treatment for a little face precancerous stuff, and it makes your skin super-sensitive to the sun. I wore my floppy black version of the Alan Cadiz teaching hat, but it wasn't enough. So I'm a little extra not so pretty tonight.

Yeah, I know, suck it up ya big sissy. I'll probably do it again tomorrow.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Strong wind is SO much better than wimpy wind
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 02:12:46 AM »
I hear you! But having said that, I've had some memorable sessions after being pig headed and going out in very marginal conditions, really not looking great, and the breeze picking up once out on the water and ending up having a decent time.

I'm amazed I've not had more sessions where I haven't been able to get foiling at all (it is a handful), and those times when just getting up and foiling feels like a victory over physics! There is something about winging in light winds that is fun. I think it's the challenge of getting going, and then staying up and then trying not to drop any gybes as you know it's going to be a PITA if you do. Very satisfying when you get it right.

Despite being light I've never really felt like I can get going in less than 10 knots average. Probably a function of not having a giant foil, and/or maybe the floppy canopy on my 6m and/or the chop that always seems to be about but mostly probably sub optimal technique! I'm still waiting for that light bulb moment where sub 10 knots becomes attainable...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 05:16:06 AM »
I am not able to get on foil below 10kt either,and being realistic 10kt average means 8-12kt gusts and lulls.
But i like foiling with the 6m wing  in it's low range when it is steady, it's a very Zen experience with the flat water and the foil gliding so smoothly.
Kinda hypnotic :)

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 07:43:49 AM »
I am not able to get on foil below 10kt either,and being realistic 10kt average means 8-12kt gusts and lulls.
But i like foiling with the 6m wing  in it's low range when it is steady, it's a very Zen experience with the flat water and the foil gliding so smoothly.
Kinda hypnotic :)
Totally! Was going to mention that too! Very calming...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 12:13:09 PM »
For me wimpy means under ten knots, probably well under. The iWindsurf site for yesterday shows average speed under 10mph, and some peaks to 12. I don't know where the sensor was. It turns out that the canopy of my 6m Fone was detached from the leading edge for about a foot, starting from the bend at the root of the tip, inward. I didn't notice it when I was foiling, I saw it when I was rolling up the wing so I don't know when it happened but the wing felt a little unbalanced and had less power than usual for the entire session.

The session saver was the 1150/340 combination, which even for a shitty pumper like me is a pumping machine. With a bigger tail my pumping is extremely weenie, with the 340 I look like Kane if someone had whacked Kane in the knee with a baseball bat. In other words, not pretty, and I can't do it for long, but I can do it. I pumped all over the place on Mission Bay. My knee feels better this morning and my face has calmed down a bit. The forecast for Mission Bay is pretty much nothing for the rest of the week and all the way up to 8 or 9 mid next week--so yeah, lovely.

The 6M was the only wing I have that hadn't spent time at Airtime, as I mentioned in another thread. Apparently, these wings can both detect such bold statements and feel left out of a trip to Airtime. So off it goes. I wonder if I can get a frequent hobo discount.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 12:36:47 PM »
Yep agree especially winging and being a heavier rider light winds are not our friend,but we do get rewarded when it’s windy though.In wind that light can’t beat the 7m SB/ airush surprised you have not made friends with the 7m diesel in those conditions about only chance for a big rider especially with the 1150,I had the 6m F1 and low end not near the 7m SB have to give er a chance get used to it
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 11:33:24 AM »

Anyway, there was a little wind so I took the 6M out with my 1150 and 340. Pretty wimpy wind, but I was there, so I gave it a go. I got up a few times, pumping like a maniac. there was a Japanese guy out with a 5M who was doing great but he probably weighed 80 pounds.

That guy has a ton of wind surfing and kitefoiling experience.  He blows my mind by how easy he get's flying.  For me, wind sports in SoCal and can be a love/hate relationship.   I'm under 12 mos of winging, and struggle in average conditions here (Avg 10-12 mile per hour winds).  I  find weighing 90 kgs, it's much harder to get up and sustain flight in these conditions.  Experience and weight are definitely factors, but also equipment.  His foil is the Moses 1100 and is geared strictly towards kiting.  Just wondering if this is the magic foil for our local conditions ? 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 12:58:32 PM »
........ His foil is the Moses 1100 and is geared strictly towards kiting.  Just wondering if this is the magic foil for our local conditions ?

While the Moses brand is big in the kite world, I don’t think anyone would call the W1100 a kite foil. It’s a huge 2100 sq cm SUPing, Winging foil. It would be a good foil for your area. It has good low end and high top end, for a big foil.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 11:25:40 PM »
I agree about the light wind. I was out in 10-15 last weekend with buddies and I’m determined to get a 6m and cruise at 10 kt. Being a light guy is alright sometimes.

But some of the LAFC guys got out in some good wind today in the mountain pass and our buddy did his first water start which is amazing. So I can see the value in being powered up for fun.

Pono keep those knees lubricated man. I’m stretching mine and trying to make them last.

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal