Author Topic: Wing care and maintenance  (Read 4351 times)

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Wing care and maintenance
« on: February 02, 2021, 09:52:20 AM »
Here are some ways to care for your wing(s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDVzfe6T_r4

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Wing care and maintenance
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 11:19:26 AM »
The tip about not hanging the wing to dry is pretty good. I saw one Ensis center strut pop for that very reason.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 09:06:17 PM »
I'm going to have to start doing better wing maintenance. I was using my 6M today and it felt really unbalanced. I made it work, but the power felt down and I had to pump everywhere. When I was putting it away I discovered a foot or so of the canopy is detached from the leading edge. That might be a problem.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

foiled again

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 10:13:46 PM »
Hanging by the handle is great for drying the wing. I usually pump it up a little, before hanging,  like Wyatt did in the beginning of the video, which appears to seat the bladders correctly. So far have not had a problem.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 10:14:52 AM »
Hanging by the handle is great for drying the wing. I usually pump it up a little, before hanging,  like Wyatt did in the beginning of the video, which appears to seat the bladders correctly. So far have not had a problem.
Yep for us wingers that don’t have the luxury of 80 degree days year round the only way I can get my wings to dry in cold season is to hang em by top handle in garage overnight,don’t see where it can dislodge with center strut hoses attached to LE much just have to be careful inflating make sure center strut is seating right before final hard inflation,I also use a velcro tie when I roll it up on ground about 1/3 down wing wrapping it so it does not unfurl when hanging in garage hook sure beats rolling a wet sandy mess up and folding it in bag! Just have to be vigilant on inflation and the center strut CPR to help seat CS to LE not a bad idea,might start keeping some air in center strut on overnight dry out too
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 10:30:23 AM by paddlur »
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

Waterdog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 11:37:46 AM »
What about hanging on first and last handle? Might that be less harmful? Looks like it to me but what do I know?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 11:38:36 PM »
Dry climate here. I lay mine over lawn chairs with LE low and flip it after an hour or so.

Best tip I’ve found is blue IKEA bag to keep your wing in. No sand or water in car, loosely packed so it dries on the way home and way easier to use than the tiny backpack they give you. It’s my version of Jeff Chang’s cardboard box.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 07:02:51 PM »
I hang mine by the leading edge handle, consequently I quit watching the video after about 45 seconds. By that logic we should just leave them semi inflated all the time :o Maybe it's more of an issue with very large diameter tubes and/or particular designs, never had a problem.

Hilly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 12:42:46 AM »
Screw mine up in a ball and shove in car until the next day  ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 12:48:37 AM by Hilly »

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 03:05:47 AM »
By that logic we should just leave them semi inflated all the time :o
I do, well the centre strut anyway. Just roll each side of the wing up against the centre strut, and have a wing sausage to pack up and hang up from leading edge to dry when home. Added benefit that it saves time when pumping up next time!
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2021, 07:15:11 AM »
For those who want to dry their wing post session, but are always too gassed to bother pumping up once more, get yourself a ryobi high volume inflator.  It fits right on to the hose and allows you to quickly pump up the wing to a very low psi.  If you have other ryobi tools and batteries, its only a $20 or so purchase.  Also doubles as a mini blower to help get sand out of crevasses. 

https://www.ryobitools.com/power-tools/products/details/one-18v-high-volume-power-inflator
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal