Author Topic: Been away for 5 years  (Read 5244 times)

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
Been away for 5 years
« on: January 29, 2021, 06:15:36 PM »
Aloha all, I haven't been on the Zone or paddling for about 5 years, life just got so busy.  I purchased a house with a jungle that needed taming and I had my first kid, talk about no free time.  Had to buy chainsaws over paddles.   Now that my son is old enough to wear a life jacket and sit on the board, I'm back on the water! I have a Starboard 14' Open Ocean that can handle me, my wife, and my son! 300 lbs total and I can still stand and paddle. My SIC Bullet 17V2 & 2015 Starboard Allstar 14x25 seem like antiques the way board design and development has been progressing. My Kenalu paddles are still smooth and solid, love them!  The good news is that I lost about 20 lbs so the Allstar is even easier to paddle, haven't jumped on my Bullet yet but I was probably a bit too light for it then (172 lbs), and likely too light for it now at around 152 lbs.   Just happy to be back on the water, I noticed there are much less people paddling, at least in my area. 

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Been away for 5 years
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 06:27:58 PM »
Very cool!

I don't think 2015 is so long ago : ) 

And you know board development ... mostly 'bold new colors'...   

I hope your son loves it ... or gets there.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 05:44:15 PM »
Welcome back
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 06:55:05 AM »
Takeo, I've done shells, kayaks, outriggers canoes ...and, there is something 'more special' about SUP that I cannot define clearly but there is satisfaction (not even a good word for it) you do not get from the others.  Rick Weeks'—mid-winter paddles—back in the marshes on Cape Cod kind of shows it.  Who would do that if it did not offer your core something you would not get riding a bike, posting on Facebook, etc. 

I don't think much has changed 'cept for the natural thinning of the herd that goes with time.  Enjoy.

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 08:31:01 AM »
Thanks guys. Something about SUP, it’s so therapeutic. If I can just squeeze in an hour or two a week, what a blessing during such crazy times. No need for masks wearing, lots of fresh air!

All my hydration pack zippers froze up and threw away leashes so time to get some new gear. Luckily our local fishing store is generally well stocked, they are an SIC and Starboard dealer as well  ;)

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 01:28:22 PM »
Welcome back Takeo!

Always stoked to hear someone reconnecting with the paddle!
Enjoy the glide  :)

I have some interesting info that may surprise you guys....
SUPs are selling faster than anyone can make them.

The CoVid era has created the perfect climate for Standup..... it's a healthy, socially distant outdoor activity that provides the needed head space and physical joy that paddling provides.
The big difference is:
It is not raceboard focused... it is pleasure board focused.
Boards for the local lake or river.... allrounders that fit the whole family.
Casual paddling... right up my alley!

I delivered a vanfull of Sunova's up in Navarre Florida and went for a paddle with my friend Nicholas and his wife.
It was a chilly, windy day and still I saw LOT's of people paddling the same estuary we were cruising.

We went to a crystal clear spring for a paddle and ran into some Inflatable paddlers.... they seem to be popping up everywhere.

When we went surfing, I met a group of young surfers that recognized me from my videos..... stoked 20 something SUP surfers!!!!
Yewwwwwwww..... SUP is alive and well! 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 09:11:29 PM »
Hmmm. If your local fishing store carries SUP gear I'm guessing you're on the Big Island. I forget the name of the fishing store but they were the first company in Hawaii to carry Ke Nalu paddles. Coolest guys ever.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 12:28:22 AM »
Takeo, I remember your handle I think.  Welcome back.  Good for you.

Many who ‘pause’ do not make it back.

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 01:02:14 PM »
Hmmm. If your local fishing store carries SUP gear I'm guessing you're on the Big Island. I forget the name of the fishing store but they were the first company in Hawaii to carry Ke Nalu paddles. Coolest guys ever.

Hi Bill,
Yeah, Tokunagas, that's where I got my Ke Nalu paddles, my SICs, my Starboards and of course all my fishing gear.  Remember me, I bought your Gumby Foote, sold it to a friend.  That was a light and fun board for rough conditions, even surfed it a bit. 

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 01:05:13 PM »
Takeo, I remember your handle I think.  Welcome back.  Good for you.

Many who ‘pause’ do not make it back.

Thank you!  Yeah, good to see some of you "old timers" still around.  There was a time when I was on the water at least 5 days a week, just happy to be back on the water, even if it's just a day or two here and there. 

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 01:09:27 PM »
Very cool!

I don't think 2015 is so long ago : ) 

And you know board development ... mostly 'bold new colors'...   

I hope your son loves it ... or gets there.

My son loves it, he's only 20 months but already standing and trying to paddle.  He says "row row row", like the song!

Welcome back Takeo!

Always stoked to hear someone reconnecting with the paddle!
Enjoy the glide  :)

I have some interesting info that may surprise you guys....
SUPs are selling faster than anyone can make them.

The CoVid era has created the perfect climate for Standup..... it's a healthy, socially distant outdoor activity that provides the needed head space and physical joy that paddling provides.
The big difference is:
It is not raceboard focused... it is pleasure board focused.
Boards for the local lake or river.... allrounders that fit the whole family.
Casual paddling... right up my alley!

I delivered a vanfull of Sunova's up in Navarre Florida and went for a paddle with my friend Nicholas and his wife.
It was a chilly, windy day and still I saw LOT's of people paddling the same estuary we were cruising.

We went to a crystal clear spring for a paddle and ran into some Inflatable paddlers.... they seem to be popping up everywhere.

When we went surfing, I met a group of young surfers that recognized me from my videos..... stoked 20 something SUP surfers!!!!
Yewwwwwwww..... SUP is alive and well! 

Now that you mentioned it, I have seen more inflatable, cruiser type paddlers.  It is the perfect pastime in these crazy times for anyone who lives near a body of water.  Used Race/Downwind boards seem to be going for cheap these days, figured the hype now is foil.  Our local surfspot is full of foilers. 

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 04:01:29 PM »
I've been away too! Only about 3 sessions in 2020.

It appears Sup Sports in Santa Barbara is gone. Is it true?
Taller than most, shorter than others.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 07:10:16 PM »
This thread is full of aloha and life! Welcome back, Takeo. Cool user name. Backstory?
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 10:39:10 AM »
I've been away too! Only about 3 sessions in 2020.

It appears Sup Sports in Santa Barbara is gone. Is it true?

I recall it was a semi retirement, a decision maybe made easier by the state of the industry...

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,35693.0.html
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 04:17:03 PM »

Hi Bill,
Yeah, Tokunagas, that's where I got my Ke Nalu paddles, my SICs, my Starboards and of course all my fishing gear.  Remember me, I bought your Gumby Foote, sold it to a friend.  That was a light and fun board for rough conditions, even surfed it a bit.

Yes!! Of course. That was a crazy little board. I can't believe I did my first Maliko runs on the nutty little thing. It was a handful, but it could handle anything. Good to see you back.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal