Author Topic: Axis wings for supfoiling  (Read 10007 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Axis wings for supfoiling
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 07:04:52 PM »
Why not try the new one of the BSC series cheaper route the ones with red fuse?
paddler, maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly, but the BSC series are also part of the B-Series, and use the black fuse (B-Series), not the red one (S-Series).

Or 860 those black are gonna be pretty fast for supfoiling,I like to be efficient supfoiling as think with the black you will be outrunning the good parts of the wave,but I never tried one yet too,the 860 about as fast as I wanna go, faster you go harder the crashes😁
Not sure about this either, because the 860 is still part of the S-Series line, so maybe you meant 890? It does get confusing with all the new wings...but it's nice to see that Axis has updated their website to organize all the wings into their respective sub-series groups (B-Series: HPS and BCS, and S-Series: SP, PNG, and Original Carve).

But yes, if the 860 is about as fast as you want to go, than I'm guessing the Black Series is not going to be for you, nor would the 910 or 900 either, because they're both noticeably faster than the 860 in the surf as well.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 09:31:08 PM »
Cali what I’m referring to is the BSC series does have a few options in red fuse and black fuse yep confusing alright but thats what’ chart says and were talking about supfoiling here which it seems is going on a tangent to winging? Just saying for me the personally the 860 supfoiling is about as fast as I want to go,too each his own thingy,The HPS series seems a bit more geared to the winging crew but I might be off on that as I have never tried one yet luckily for my bank account😁
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 10:06:00 PM »
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 10:10:33 PM by paddlur »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2021, 11:06:12 PM »
Cali what I’m referring to is the BSC series does have a few options in red fuse and black fuse yep confusing alright but thats what’ chart says and were talking about supfoiling here which it seems is going on a tangent to winging?
Yes, I stand corrected. Looking at the Axis website closer, I now see that the 1060 does in fact use the S-Series fuses.

Unfortunately I'm not up on the other wings listed on the chart you linked to because they're not yet on the website, and honestly, I have a hard enough time remembering all of the new ones now listed, and have forgotten about the others listed...if they were even mentioned to me in the past. I honestly don't remember if I was told about them previously or not...I'm taking the "old age" defense. :-[ ;D

Just saying for me the personally the 860 supfoiling is about as fast as I want to go,too each his own thingy,The HPS series seems a bit more geared to the winging crew but I might be off on that as I have never tried one yet luckily for my bank account😁
Yes, while my "thingy" is liking the little faster wings...and having only tried the 1050 just once so far, I can't say for sure yet if I've reached my speed limits with the 900/910, or if one of the HPS and/or BCS wings I might enjoy more. Time will tell... :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2021, 10:37:05 AM »
I ordered the 1060 primarily for my winging app,but probably a decent wing for smaller wave supfoiling too I would imagine?but the next down the 970 also red fuse might be a good supfoil too wing but specs not posted yet,As confusing as it can be all the Axis options just got a love it too that Axis offers all these wings,no other foil manufacturers even come close that I’m aware of.Super stoked on all these new wings👍

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2021, 11:08:58 AM »
I ordered the 1060 primarily for my winging app, but probably a decent wing for smaller wave supfoiling too I would imagine?
That's awesome, can't wait to hear your ride report with it when you get it in the surf. 👍

As confusing as it can be all the Axis options just got a love it too that Axis offers all these wings, no other foil manufacturers even come close that I’m aware of. Super stoked on all these new wings👍
Oh for sure! It goes back to our "different strokes for different folks"...Axis has something for everyone regardless of use, tastes, or styles.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 11:57:13 AM by Califoilia »

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2021, 06:18:48 PM »
Finally got to try my new 890BSC supfoiling today and first impression is it very nice for supfoil indeed even for a big guy!Tried it with my 440 rear and black short fuse definitely bit faster than my old 860/820 which helps the pump factor glide and very smooth predictable carvability,pretty friggin stoked on the 890 today thought it might be a tad to fast for supfoiling but really liked it for first day session can’t wait to try it again and sure it will be a good higher wind winging foil wing too very similar specs to the 860 which initially caught my eye and my liking of my 1060 BSC wing winging,also Califoilia’s review was a player too on another thread somewhere,certainly glad I got it now reinforcing my liking of the BSC series wings

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2021, 09:09:26 PM »
I'm looking forward to surfing in Maui. I guess I could take a trip to the coast here in Oregon, but it's a long drive. I think my gotos will be 999, 860 and 1150 though I'll certainly take the 1000 as well. And the 890. Oh hell, I'll just take them all. I do think that 999 is going to be great in the surf. We'll see.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2021, 06:44:37 PM »
I'm looking forward to surfing in Maui. I guess I could take a trip to the coast here in Oregon, but it's a long drive. I think my gotos will be 999, 860 and 1150 though I'll certainly take the 1000 as well. And the 890. Oh hell, I'll just take them all. I do think that 999 is going to be great in the surf. We'll see.
Bill in waves supfoiling definitely consider the 890 BSC wing I had another good test on it today in chest to occasional head high waves and got to say I’m a real believer in the 890 supfoiling just a phenomenal wing even for a heavy weight! Can’t wait for a winging session on it but probably need 20-22 kts for it. Just a kickass supfoil wing with my 440 rear short black fuse.hopefully be some left over swell tomorrow can’t get enough of the 890 beyond stoked on it!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2021, 07:31:44 AM »
Actually, until I get my 999 (which has been shipped---YEA!) I'm using the 890/390 as my standard wingfoil setup, and I like it all the way down to about 15mph. Light wind usually has lulls and gusts here, and the 890 is easier to keep up through the lulls than my trusty 1000 is. I'm looking forward to surfing with it, I think it will let me do some things I've struggled with--like riding to the beach in reformed swells.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2021, 12:25:10 PM »
We SUPed New Smyrna Beach this morning. Jacky grabbed the camera when she quit surfing and caught my very last wave of the day. Wish I had all my good ones on camera.

You get the idea…easy catching a waist high wave with the ART-999. On one wave, I kicked out and glided all the way back to my take off spot without pumping, per my Dawn Patrol trace.

https://youtu.be/ga_hunRuA2A

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2021, 02:36:22 PM »
So myself, and our new Sano young gun tried the ART 999 in the surf this past week, and we both came to the same conclusion(s)...

1.) It has great initial lift, so much so that this is the first wing that I've ever had to push the mast back 3/4" (might even move it back more on the next session just to see).
2.) Pumps really well as might be expected, but you have to keep the speed up, because in the surf, it seems to have a much higher stall speed than I've heard others with windwings talk about...to the point that on the sup, I actually had to keep pumping it down the line once the wave died down a bit. This is something that I haven't really found the need to do with all the other lower - relatively speaking - aspect wings.
3.) As far as turning goes, you can make a longer, more drawn out turn with it, but trying to really surf it top to bottom...the wide wing span makes it a little difficult to transition top to bottom in comparison to some of the more "surfy", smaller Axis wings (BCS 810, PNG 850, or even the HPS 880) on a sup.

https://youtu.be/lxZT2-2hlbA

Final thoughts: I can see it as a great windwing wing for its great initial lift, and winging in 10-12+ mph winds will eliminate any of the higher stall speed issues we felt in the slower surf. If you do want to use it as a one wing quiver to wing and surf...when surfing it, just don't attempt to really throw it around, but surf it with longer turns in mind, and then just go and pump it back out forever... 👍🏽👊🏽😃

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal