Author Topic: Axis wings for supfoiling  (Read 9920 times)

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Axis wings for supfoiling
« on: January 27, 2021, 08:17:43 PM »
I originally bought my Axis foils for winging but a few months back discovered for myself that they work very well for supfoiling too.For me being a heavier rider so far originally my fav front wing was the 820 just a great all around wing for supfoiling.Few weeks back got my hands on the 860 again primarily for winging but also found it works real good for me supfoiling too bit faster than the 820 but a lot of similar characteristics the rock solid reliable carvable wing I really like em both exceeded my expectations.this is my first session on the 860 and just like when you try a new magic surfboard and it has that magic feel right from the get go,that’s how I felt riding the 860 first time it felt so familiar like I had ridden it many times before a sure good sign for a new wing.I have not even tried it winging yet looking forward to that for sure.My fav rear is the 440 so far for supfoiling.Curious what you Axis riders are riding supfoiling out there? Think maybe the 760 might be a good choice for bigger surf but not sure never seen one in person,started this thread for the Axis supfoiler riders to see what wings masts fuse you all are wave riding as really have to separate the wings a bit for winging vs supfoiling however I’m finding that a few Axis wings work for both in my weight class 225lb.Also riding 75cm alum mast and short fuse but tinkering with pulling the trigger on a new carbon fiber mast  which look real nice but they ain’t cheap!
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Axis wings for supfoiling
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 09:04:59 PM »
I have the 910/460/ultra short and it works great for me at 185 lbs on a standup and prone. I have the 19mm 75cm mast. I am also considering a carbon mast but considering the price, went to make sure it’s an improvement. Anyone know how the carbon compares in stiffness?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:11:29 PM by SUPdad »

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 09:06:38 PM »
Lately I'm on 1150 or 1060 crazy short, 370 rear for smallest of bumps. If it picks up then 1050 crazy short 370 rear with shim. All on 19 mm 75 cm mast. Hoping to get a chance to ride the 930 soon.

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 09:10:24 PM »
For anyone interested, I was told the 75cm aluminum mast is just over 5 lbs. The carbon 76cm mast is 3 lbs 13 oz. So about a 19 oz weight saving. Wallet will be a lot lighter. :o

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 09:33:32 PM »
Lately I'm on 1150 or 1060 crazy short, 370 rear for smallest of bumps. If it picks up then 1050 crazy short 370 rear with shim. All on 19 mm 75 cm mast. Hoping to get a chance to ride the 930 soon.
Flkiter surprised your not riding the CF mast have you tried it? I was thinking the 76 but a little concerned I might be a bit on heavy side might get a bit flexy? As the 19mm mast is a godsend for a HW rider they rock, but also like the that carbon feel from my kitefoiling days too but a lot more torque on a supfoil board compared to my kitefoil board.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 10:32:09 PM »
I've SUP foiled the 1000, 920, 910, 900, 860, & 750, all interchanged with the 370, 390, 400, 420, 460 on the ultra short fuse, and 75cm aluminum mast. I had the 76V1 carbon mast, and felt it had too much torsional flex for my liking in the surf, and the way I ride.

My progression of "likes" went from the 900/390 being my favorite setup (fast, fun, easy, really nice "all-around" setup), the the 860/460 got my attention for sometimes when there's some size or at least some energy out there (fast enough, and pumps surprising well for its size and shape, and loves to just turn and shred the entire wave top to bottom, and off the whitewater, a turning machine), then most recently the past couple of weeks...the 910/420 really got my attention with how well it pumps, and still turns very well when you really push it (not as fast as the 900, or turns as well as the 860, but pumps much better than both, and when really pushed, turns close to the 860, and's not that much slower then the 900, a little tricky to get in waves, but once you do, a "do it all" super fun combo).

The 1000 and 920 were really just to slow, and less maneuverable than any of the ones above (sold the 920, and keep the 1000 for newer riders looking to upgrade their equipment, but rarely pull it out of the van). The 750 is super fun in head high+, but once it's below shoulder high, there's not enough wing there to get it out of its own way for me. I have the 440, and 400 stabs, but quite honestly, haven't personally even used the 440, and the 400 only a couple times after giving back a borrowed 370, hoping the 400 would be similar enough and better than the 390...it wasn't. Today I picked up my own 370 and 420.

I also just picked up a new B-Series 1050 with short fuse today, and will hopefully be getting a few days in with it the rest of this week before the rains roll in again. Plan on starting with the 420 on it, and then maybe the 460 and 370 or vis versa if the 420 doesn't do what I thinking/hoping it will. Got a crazy short fuse also, and really stoked to see how that will pair with the S-Series wing combos mentioned previously...should be super fun!!  8)

Below are my stats and the board I ride for comparison with my personal take on the above kits. Hope that all helps some, and isn't too confusing.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:38:17 PM by Califoilia »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 04:58:08 AM »
I'm 75 kgs and I started SUP foiling on the 920, them upgraded to a 1000. I loved the 1000 for foiling in good waves: amazing speed, pumpability and good carving. I also have the 1150 for really small stuff and I love it. I had the 1010 for a few sessions: really cool wing, with lots of glide and pumping (very different feel pumping between the 1000 and the 1010, as the 1010 likes longer glides between pumps and the 1000 is more like an accelerator).

Now, I sold my 1000 and I'm going to add the the HPS 980 and 1050 and keep the 1150. I will use all wings for SUP foiling, wingfoiling and the smaller ones for prone foiling.

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 05:01:27 AM »
I started with standard fuselage and then when to the short fuselage. Now I'll have both short fuses (red and black). As for tails, I started with the 440 and now have the 400 and the 460.

My day to day mast is the 75 cm, but I also use the 68 cm for shallower waters, and the 90 cm for wingfoiling. I'll received the 76 cm carbon mast (v2) soon.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 05:42:24 AM »
Flkiter surprised your not riding the CF mast have you tried it? I was thinking the 76 but a little concerned I might be a bit on heavy side might get a bit flexy? As the 19mm mast is a godsend for a HW rider they rock, but also like the that carbon feel from my kitefoiling days too but a lot more torque on a supfoil board compared to my kitefoil board.
I like the carbon for winging but, I prefer the 19 mm aluminum due to the stiffness for the bigger wings like the 1150 and because I'm not nice to my gear. I teach on it, ride it, lend it out and then throw it all in the back of my truck so carbon mast aren't the best thing for me. Most of my foils have scratches and battle wounds but they're still solid and perform. I have a 76 on order for the days i go wing'ing but I'll see how long I can keep it looking good.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 07:24:27 AM »
I've SUP foiled the 1000, 920, 910, 900, 860, & 750, all interchanged with the 370, 390, 400, 420, 460 on the ultra short fuse, and 75cm aluminum mast. I had the 76V1 carbon mast, and felt it had too much torsional flex for my liking in the surf, and the way I ride.

My progression of "likes" went from the 900/390 being my favorite setup (fast, fun, easy, really nice "all-around" setup), the the 860/460 got my attention for sometimes when there's some size or at least some energy out there (fast enough, and pumps surprising well for its size and shape, and loves to just turn and shred the entire wave top to bottom, and off the whitewater, a turning machine), then most recently the past couple of weeks...the 910/420 really got my attention with how well it pumps, and still turns very well when you really push it (not as fast as the 900, or turns as well as the 860, but pumps much better than both, and when really pushed, turns close to the 860, and's not that much slower then the 900, a little tricky to get in waves, but once you do, a "do it all" super fun combo).

The 1000 and 920 were really just to slow, and less maneuverable than any of the ones above (sold the 920, and keep the 1000 for newer riders looking to upgrade their equipment, but rarely pull it out of the van). The 750 is super fun in head high+, but once it's below shoulder high, there's not enough wing there to get it out of its own way for me. I have the 440, and 400 stabs, but quite honestly, haven't personally even used the 440, and the 400 only a couple times after giving back a borrowed 370, hoping the 400 would be similar enough and better than the 390...it wasn't. Today I picked up my own 370 and 420.

I also just picked up a new B-Series 1050 with short fuse today, and will hopefully be getting a few days in with it the rest of this week before the rains roll in again. Plan on starting with the 420 on it, and then maybe the 460 and 370 or vis versa if the 420 doesn't do what I thinking/hoping it will. Got a crazy short fuse also, and really stoked to see how that will pair with the S-Series wing combos mentioned previously...should be super fun!!  8)

Below are my stats and the board I ride for comparison with my personal take on the above kits. Hope that all helps some, and isn't too confusing.
Great info Califoilia nice review👍

Flkiter that’s what my concern is with the CF mast for winging with big wings I use and my weight.Find it interesting you use a 75cm mast winging and suping as over here I use 75cm supfoiling and 85cm winging guess we have a bit more chop when it’s windy here,I used to use 75cm mast when I started winging but since gotten longer 85 more cadillac cruisy feel over the chop especially my home spot,maybe I will do the same try a 76cm CF for supfoiling first as using smaller wings 860/820 but califoilia got me thinking now about the 900/910 oh shit this never ends $wise, that’s what I like about Axis something for everyone big or small rider

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 08:09:30 AM »
If the conditions get big, I'll go to the 82 or 90 cm mast for winging. Then I'm on a 980 or smaller but for days when it's average or light, the 75 is fine and I get no flex from the 1060/1150/1300. Had a 96 cm carbon mast but sold it to DWF cause I felt like I was going to ruin it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 08:27:44 AM »
I have actually managed to keep my carbon masts looking more or less pristine. Admin would call them unacceptably marred, but it's one little scratch on the 76 and a longer one on my 96. I keep them in bags made out of the legs from an ancient wetsuit.

I'm happy to have the 76 in Cali. I used the 90 aluminum to surf foil at SanO and hit something every ride: Grass, uprooted kelp, sand, or rocks. A couple of weenie turns and BAM. I didn't have a 75 with me so I cut 10CM off the 90. Mo' bettah, but I could see using even a 60 here.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 07:52:09 AM »
Quote from Califoilia: "I also just picked up a new B-Series 1050 with short fuse today, and will hopefully be getting a few days in with it the rest of this week before the rains roll in again."

How did you get the 1050? I have one on order but they are saying February. Did you get on it yet? Interested for feedback. Curious if its turns are similar to the 980. I know you are surfing more than winging. I really like the 980 but find it a bit challenging to get up in lighter wind on the ding. I'm planning on the 1050 to fix this and possibly even replacing my beloved 1150. Might just go all Black.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 09:16:32 AM »
Quote from Califoilia: "I also just picked up a new B-Series 1050 with short fuse today, and will hopefully be getting a few days in with it the rest of this week before the rains roll in again."

How did you get the 1050? I have one on order but they are saying February. Did you get on it yet? Interested for feedback. Curious if its turns are similar to the 980. I know you are surfing more than winging. I really like the 980 but find it a bit challenging to get up in lighter pwind on the ding. I'm planning on the 1050 to fix this and possibly even replacing my beloved 1150. Might just go all Black.
Why not try the new one of the BSC series cheaper route the ones with red fuse? Or 860 those black are gonna be pretty fast for supfoiling,I like to be efficient supfoiling as think with the black you will be outrunning the good parts of the wave,but I never tried one yet too,the 860 about as fast as I wanna go,faster you go harder the crashes😁
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 09:52:26 AM by paddlur »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 06:28:38 PM »

How did you get the 1050? I have one on order but they are saying February. Did you get on it yet? Interested for feedback. Curious if its turns are similar to the 980. I know you are surfing more than winging. I really like the 980 but find it a bit challenging to get up in lighter wind on the ding. I'm planning on the 1050 to fix this and possibly even replacing my beloved 1150. Might just go all Black.
Yes, got it out yesterday, and gotta say it was really fun, but...

Fun because it was new, and so very different than the 900 and 910 I'd been riding. The "but", is that it likes to go fast, and if you let it slow down, it wants to fall off foil really fast. IOWs, to pump it back out, it does want to lift and stay up..."but" you really need a much faster cadence to keep it moving faster through the water than you need to do with he 910 and 900, or it wanted to settle back down on it.

Trying to learn/keep that much higher cadence wasn't as easy as it sounds (at least for me anyway). Now if I were on a prone board, or pumped with the paddle in one hand (ala Jeff Clark) I think it would have gone much better. But since I incorporate paddle strokes in my pumping for timing and lift/propulsion forward...I had difficulty shortening and/or quickening my paddle cadence to keep up with how fast I had to pump the board with my legs to keep it flying back out.

It turned into a rubbing my belly and tapping my head kinda thing, where I could get it started off OK, but then as things got going, I was all crossed up, and my timing was thrown completely off, and a I couldn't pump back out to connect a wave. But that's on me, not the wing, and with more time on it, I think it'll be a pumping machine.

As far as turning goes. It turned way better than I expected it would for as wide as it is, and that it was attached to a "short" fuse, and not the "ultrashort" that I'm way more familiar with because that's what I've been using since I switched over to Axis.

But with some horse trading, a friend and myself are going to be swapping some equipment around, as he got the 980 and ultrashort for his prone stuff, and is getting a crazyshort, so I'll grab his "ultrashort" for the 1050, and see how that goes. I'll eventually throw the crazyshort on it, but first things first.

That all said, I did for the first time - almost - pull off a 360 with the current 1050 setup. By that I mean it was able to out pump the wave to get far enough out in front of it, that I was then able to turn the board back around toward the wave...and had I been able to keep the speed up enough, and/or that the wave hadn't died...I would have been able to fly/foil back on it again. Because once back at the wave again, I was able to turn/spin it around on itself quick enough to be pointed back towards the beach but just couldn't keep it up on foil at the wave then passed me. Aarrgghh! Lol...but my next goal to keep working on, and why it's really so fun...can do things the other wings can't...as long as the rider is good enough (that's just not me yet... :()

So that's about it with for the first outing report of the 1050/420 on a "short" fuse, and 75cm/19mm mast. I'll update if/when new discoveries happen, and I'm able to do what I'm hoping to be able to do with it.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal