Author Topic: Winging in very strong wind try2  (Read 10229 times)

WingSurfPeterT

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Winging in very strong wind try2
« on: January 27, 2021, 05:50:51 AM »
Hmmm. my last post became unreadable when I tried to add an image

Thinking about very strong wind winging. Does it work? With or without a foil?

Do the small wings handle the strong forces of high wings.

The signature switch looks interesting for this:
https://www.signatureperformancegear.com/product/switch-board/?v=e4dd286dc7d7

Looking for a way to play on the waves at my local beach when putting up a 5m kite feels to sketch. So winds over avg low to mid 40 gusts to upper 40s maybe occasionally to 50 mph. after that the kite can't really handle it and starts feeling very dangerous with a kite in the sky.  Maybe even just a downwinder  with a few good whipped in waves would be fun..

Any thoughts from the gorge guys..do you guys foil in conditions when the windsurfers are juiced on sub 3 m^2 sails?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Winging in very strong wind try2
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 01:53:36 PM »
Absolutely, that's where fat guys rule. My smallest current wing is a 3.5 but when I swap out the quiver this spring I'll have a 2.8. I've turned my 3.5 into a handful of shredded bits several times now (hello, Airtime?) but there's nothing better than 35 gusting to WTF?? with an 860 wing and a 340 tail.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 08:15:48 PM »
Chan’s got a 2.5. Dwight wants a 1 meter so yeah, apparently you can do it. Wow.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 08:43:04 PM »
It's great fun, but not so much for skinny dudes like you, and you're taking the wrong message with Chan wanting a 1.8. That's the same as a 5.0 for me. Look at the picture in the Ensis thread, now realize that she could walk under my armpit and not bump her head. Miniature human.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 08:50:46 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 04:13:04 AM »
Ensis does need to fill in the gaps.  A full meter is too big a gap for wings.  An Ensis quiver for me could be 4, 3.5, 3, 2.5.  Chan could be 3, 2.5, 2.  I am hoping they do that.  It is just so much more fun when you are on the right size gear.  That opens up high and low wind for everyone. 

The hardest part about high wind is getting off your knees in rough water.  You can spend a lot of time (and energy) doing kooky stuff getting started in wild water.  That gets really hard if your wing is also over the edge. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 09:17:30 AM »
Actually, for me getting to my knees is the hard part. There's so much shit going on in high wind that just crawling onto the board is a trick. Once I'm on my knees I'm gold, and on my feet and up on the foil is easy money, actually a lot easier than light wind except that you can move a little too desperately and get blown off the board.

Once you're up, you can do anything you want. Going upwind in 45mph wind is easy to do but hard on the gear. That's how I tore out my 3.5. An apparent wind in the gusts of probably 60+ (45mph wind, 15 mph board speed) is undoubtedly outside the design brief. If I had been sure the rips wouldn't have progressed until I had just a leading edge I would have stayed out--the wing was a lot more stable and felt great. Turning downwind is super easy. The apparent wind drops to something like 20 mph. Of course, the speed is a little nutso and it's interesting trying to keep the foil in the water, but manageable.

WingSurfPeterT

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 09:56:28 AM »
Do the full on sinker boards make it easier in high wind? I haven't tried one yet but would think if I could jam my feet into foot straps and easily get the board low in the water  then should be able to get my weight over the sunken board and  get moving. 

Maybe for high wind we should be riding very thin, but still reasonably wide boards (skimboards with foils?)   so only a little motion gets the board up and out of the water

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 10:05:24 AM »
Not for me. It might be great for skinny people under 35 years old. I tried my 6'0" manta in strong wind. I got up easily on the Oregon side of the river, headed out from the event center. But when I got into the wind and current funnel on the Washington side and fell, I had some serious thoughts that I might be walking back. Trying to control the pitch of a board while the current is going one way, the swell is going the other, and the wind is trying to rip the wing out of your hands is a bit too much. The nose kept disappearing when I tried to get to my knees and just continued on down until the board shot out behind me.

My 6'6" Flying Dutchman, with just 15 more liters, was relatively easy to control and all I had to do was keep everything pointed more or less correctly.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 01:42:39 PM »
I was out today in 25-30 mph with some gusts close to 40 according the the windsurf graph  with my 4m Duotone and 6'6" 115 liter Fanatic Sky SUP  2000 Fanatic Aero foil.   I managed to survive despite some really crazy  and unruly wind.  I probably could have used a 2m wing.  The amazing thing is how calm the ride is once up on foil and it's not the least bit intimidating or frightening once on foil  as the ride is so smooth despite the chaos below..the scary thing is the wing thrashing and bucking all over the place.  Multiple times the wing was nearly pulled out of my hands, or pulled me off the board or pulled me up breaching the foil.  It was a tiring session and exciting. I only lasted about an hour and I know my arms will feel it tomorrow   
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 03:33:05 PM »
That's exactly what I mean, once you're up on the foil it's pretty easy. the only thing that's whacky is the wing, and going small enough will make that great. As most of my gorge friends know, I'm not a big east wind fan, but I used to have a 2.9 M sail for cranking mid-winter east wind windsurfing days. That sail was so fun--just tiny--and never in the way. Flipping it to jibe was just zip, zip. Unfortunately in anything less than 35mph wind it was way too small.

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 04:33:53 PM »
Was talking to a long-time kiter / wing noob about this today ... I am selling my small kites, as I don't think I'll be chasing 40kt+ kiting any more.  For one, I have always found it scary ... even with a 4m kite, the power involved is intense, and if s**t goes wrong it'll be so fast you can't react. Second, 40kt storm days actually mean 30-50kt, and potentially deadly squalls. So I spend my entire session half-scared.

Last couple stormy days, I went out on my 4m wing and it was a gas.  A real challenge to hang on and keep it down, but was able to make it work into the mid 40s.  The wind swells at that wind strength are amazing.  And a super cool thing: at times I was semi out of control, completely dropped the wing and raced straight downwind....at that wind speed, your body becomes a wing, you can stay on foil just from own wind projection. And the kite flies on its own.  I now understand better how high wind downwinders work! 

Anyways, I am looking for a 2.5m wing.   As well, in super high winds....that's the time to try out the sinker board I reckon.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 04:42:03 PM »
I would love to see some video of anyone posting here winging in 40+ mph gusts.  Then again I love to see video of some of regulars here winging at any wind speed.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 05:21:01 PM »
25-30+ mph. 4m Unit, Delta 1480cm proto foil. 28 degres :-/

See attachment below for video:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 05:27:50 PM by cnski »

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 08:24:57 PM »
I would love to see some video of anyone posting here winging in 40+ mph gusts.  Then again I love to see video of some of regulars here winging at any wind speed.

Unless my wife comes and films me, I Won’t have any video. I used to use a go pro while surfing, windsurfing and SUP surfing and found them a Royal PITA. Spent more time fidgeting with the damn camera, that  I’d miss waves.  The 1st few videos were cool and exciting , but quickly got boring and it wasn’t worth the trouble. 
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 09:40:41 PM »
25-30+ mph. 4m Unit, Delta 1480cm proto foil. 28 degres :-/

See attachment below for video:

Cnski, great! Looks very reasonable. I will go out in flat water gusting to 35 mph and that’s my “don’t be an idiot” limit. No way would I do even close to 35 in the ocean with on shore conditions. Guess I’m just a wimpy chickensh#t..... :P.  Riding on the Indian River around Sebastian Inlet (FL) yesterday with gusts to maybe 33ish on my 4m echo. Could have easily been on my 3.3 (and should have been). The ocean side side was big and scary with an unrelenting shore break. No way for me. If the protected side was hitting 40 mph, I’d wouldn’t be out there.

Unless my wife comes and films me, I Won’t have any video. I used to use a go pro while surfing, windsurfing and SUP surfing and found them a Royal PITA. Spent more time fidgeting with the damn camera, that  I’d miss waves.  The 1st few videos were cool and exciting , but quickly got boring and it wasn’t worth the trouble. 

Understood, although seeing anyone ride in true 40+ Conditions would not be boring at all.

Living on the OBX we do get infrequent fronts that will produce true 40+ mph conditions. I rarely see anyone (kite, windsurf or wing) ever ride in those conditions. 30+, yes, all the time.   40+, just too crazy dangerous except for a very few  pro level riders. That’s what I see from my humble vantage point,.....compared to internet chatter.....
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 10:00:49 PM by obxDave »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal