Author Topic: TowBot  (Read 8009 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
TowBot
« on: January 26, 2021, 10:16:16 PM »
I started a rambling blog post that will mostly center on my TowBot project.
https://www.ponostyle.com/towbots-and-silliness/
I'm going to use the post to record all my work until it gets too clumsy, then I'll probably add new sections. this first post is mostly about electronics, but I'm working on the design of the hull as well. It's going to be a catamaran with rudders on both hulls and the propulsion on a foil mast in the middle. Here's the sexy beast that going to push this thing:

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 11:03:09 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: TowBot
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 11:10:44 PM »
That is one sexy but of kit!
 This might give you some ideas for the hull.
"Front Page - Foiling UFO" http://www.fulcrumspeedworks.com/UFO/

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 08:42:04 AM »
That's very cool. I've seen quite a few moths sailing in Cascade Locks, there seems to be a fleet of them there. I tried to get one when they first came available but the guy I was trying to buy it from (a Russian small boat builder) turned out to be running a scam, or was just incompetent. Never got it. There are some small, very fast hydro sailers in Mission bay, but I don't know what they are. they look like slightly bigger moths.

This looks more practical. But the hull I'm going to use for the TowBot is based on a very simple catamaran design that needs no molds or jigs. Super simple. I might even build a full-size version and add foils to it. This video is probably more info than anyone needs who isn't going to build one, but the basic construction of the small prototype starts at about 15 minutes. He builds a prototype hull in real time in about 15 minutes not including glue setting time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BMskpsLiYA&t=6s
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 11:28:04 AM »
For slightly more sophisticated hull form, but still simple to execute, consider Rob Denney's "Intelligent Infusion" approach at http://harryproa.com/?p=1845

Note that his proa hulls are formed in two halves, with the seam running down the centre of the deck and bottom. You could adjust the method for conventional symmetry by making your tooling for full bottom and sides, then glue on a deck after fitting out the innards.

(PS - I want to build his EX40)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 07:12:44 PM »
Something wicked this way comes--I just kind of like looking at these. So much potential.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 09:23:04 PM »
looks like you bought the motor, prop, and mount/fairing all assembled.  mind sharing your source for this?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 10:40:58 PM »
looks like you bought the motor, prop, and mount/fairing all assembled.  mind sharing your source for this?
TorpedosAreUs.com  The guidance systems are extra. ;);D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 08:15:04 AM »
Hi Jondrums, somehow I didn't see this question. It's a guy named Jake Barnhill, Here's his post. I was tempted to buy all five of the units he had fully built. Workmanship is through the roof good. But I think two will be all I need, so grab one while you can. At $1100 they are a silly bargain. I couldn't reproduce these for far more than that in parts, never mind the labor.

https://foil.zone/t/complete-geared-motors/11512

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 08:17:13 AM by PonoBill »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 08:25:46 AM »
I have the electronics more or less working. I did the first run at the navigation code. It runs, but that just means it compiles, it doesn't mean it actually works. Now I need to figure out how to integrate it with the Meshtastic code. I've halfway convinced myself to ignore the meshtastic stuff and just use the board directly. A lot of the meshtastic complexity is integrating the board functionality to Android, which I don't really care that much about. It's in the nice, but... category.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal