Author Topic: Ullman Wings to be sold from GONG  (Read 2984 times)

RobM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Ullman Wings to be sold from GONG
« on: January 26, 2021, 12:58:58 PM »
Ullman Kiteboarding and GONG have just announced that Ullman Wings (Osprey 21') will be distributed and for sale from GONG's online site and will be the same price as GONG wings.  Ullman retains all design, testing etc. utilizing GONG's online distribution/sales model.  Interesting news on both sites, Patrice G has video up about it.
https://www.facebook.com/ullmankiteboarding/
https://www.gong-galaxy.com/magazine/news/matos-nouveau-partenariat/
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 01:03:15 PM by RobM »
Me: 5'10" (178cm), 185lb (84kg)
Wings: Duotone Unit 5.5m,4.0m; Naish S25 5.3m,3.6m
Board: Fanatic 5'0 Sky Wing (75lt); BluePlanet foil sup 6'6" (116lt)
Foils: Axis 1150,1000;370 tail/short fuse; Neil Pryde Glide Surf L-1484cm2;
Mast: Axis 90, 68cm; NP Flight 82cm,NP Glide 60cm

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ullman Wings to be sold from GONG
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 07:13:21 PM »
Pono, check the video. Gong is over 40 full time employees now. Picking up other brands for distribution now using the direct sales model they developed.

They are claiming 24 to 72 hour worldwide shipping. Interesting to hear that. I wonder if there’s some new shipping system in place now, or if we have just a weird customs process in our way.

I also like that he mentions weekend warriors on there. Really that’s the market and it’s good to see him address it out loud. That’s what hopefully will keep winging from becoming like you guys say windsurfing did. Make it more accessible and keep it that way. We need to convert 100,000 surfers (and inland people)  to make it worth sustainable  commercially I’d say.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 09:56:58 PM »
They are claiming 24 to 72 hour worldwide shipping. Interesting to hear that. I wonder if there’s some new shipping system in place now, or if we have just a weird customs process in our way.
Unless they find some international shipper (which will just add more mulla to the cost), and they might get it out of their warehouse in 24 to 72 hours, but La Posta and the USPS as their current shippers are still a nightmare to deal with (not to mention US Customs put their who knows for how long delays on things)...I'm still not a fan of their shipping logistics plan. Much rather buy stuff from brands who ship containers to the mainland, and have stock on hand and shipping companies who can get it to in a couple days to a week once I hit the "buy" button. JMHO...OMMV.

I also like that he mentions weekend warriors on there. Really that’s the market and it’s good to see him address it out loud. That’s what hopefully will keep winging from becoming like you guys say windsurfing SUP did. Make it more accessible and keep it that way. We need to convert 100,000 surfers (and inland people) to make it worth sustainable  commercially I’d say.
Fixed it for ya as a better analogy w/ surfer "converts, weekend warriors, and inland people". ;) ;D

SUP equipment started out really expensive, and then once the inland people weekend warriors thought they'd become "sarfers"...they industry took off, equipment prices were cut in half (even more if they bought direct from the Costco Surf Team), and the waters were littered with clueless noobs in the lineups everywhere. Just be careful what you wish for, everything comes with a price...either monetary or otherwise.  8)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 07:06:59 AM »
Sano,  "Fixed it for ya as a better analogy w/ surfer "converts, weekend warriors, and inland people".  I think the original stood pretty well on its own.  I did a little work for MISTRAL and watched seismic growth of poleboarding spread inland and their warehouse grow to hold massive inventories ...' till it went, Poof!

Every 'new thing' seems to have a natural lifespan; you experts just have to wait a bit (I know it's bothersome...) for those of lesser talent to become exasperated with whatever experts feel is their natural right of exclusivity.  They'll move on, but it will still never be 1960 (pick your generation) again. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 08:11:29 AM »
Sano,  "Fixed it for ya as a better analogy w/ surfer "converts, weekend warriors, and inland people".  I think the original stood pretty well on its own.  I did a little work for MISTRAL and watched seismic growth of poleboarding spread inland and their warehouse grow to hold massive inventories ...' till it went, Poof!
Yep, fair enough. Guess it was kinda a geographical faux pas on my part, as we never really had a big invasion of "poleboarders" (even had to look that up to make sure we were still talking about windsurfers :D) in SoCal, and knowing that "cowboy" is a SoCal SUPer (foiler now)...so when he said "like you guys say" wrt windsurfing, thought the SUP was a reminder and better example of what he'd personally witnessed.

But you're right, it's not necessarily a better example, just another one out of many of the recreational sports that have had their heydays, that then slowly lost favor to the newest, next, latest, greatest sport to turn heads, and start wearing out credit cards.

I stand corrected.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 08:24:32 AM by Califoilia (formerly - SanoSlatchSup) »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 10:52:53 AM »
It's a completely understood phenomenon in every industry that sells a fad product, hula hoops, skateboards, rollerblades, trolls, beanie babies, etc.

Manufacturers and marketers can mitigate the effects or worsen them--SUP and Windsurfing are classic examples of what not to do. but no matter what, the curve remains, it's just a question of how far it peaks and falls. I doubt that foiling of any kind will see anything like the worst of the usual fad curve. It's too expensive on a fundamental basis, and it looks (and is) too hard.

I watched companies like ULI try to sell inflatables as surfboards (NO!!). They needed to sell them to apartment dwellers in Chicago, and housewives in Akron. Which is exactly where inflatables sell like hotcakes now. You can push adoption, but you can't force it.

Gong has all of Europe to sell to. US-based fulfillment is easy but expensive as any Amazon seller will tell you. By the time you take advantage of their fulfillment centers, advertise with them to get the best deals, and endure their random price gouges you probably pay 50 percent of every deal to Amazon. They aren't the only game in town, but they're the big dog by a factor of ten. When they need it, it will still be there. In the meantime, I suspect US sales are a popcorn fart.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:57:32 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RobM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 11:38:02 AM »
So what do we know about Ullman wings?  Apparently a big sailmaker (boat) presence in Florida(?), into kites the past decade or more.  Hard to tell much from the Ullman site, hardly any info, the GONG site seems to have the best info and pictures. Particularly interesting is their description of a central batten which in pics looks to be running down the topside of the central strut. I assume you can remove it to fold/roll up the wing? Anyone with any Ullman Osprey wing experiences?  thanks!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 08:13:34 PM »
Rob, South Africa. And the deal isn’t done, just announced.

RobM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 08:29:42 PM »
Hi @surfcowboy, you can order the Ullman wing on the GONG site right now, so seems like a done deal? 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 08:35:33 PM »
Oh, thanks man. My bad. I didn’t realize they’d opened them.

Likely the lack of web info is due to the small size and location. Like NZ, SA has a pretty strong local market for nautical stuff, like Maui. There are a few small brands on Maui that I’m still not sure how you buy. lol

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal