Author Topic: "Gale Force Winds" in California - Did you go out?  (Read 1875 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
"Gale Force Winds" in California - Did you go out?
« on: January 25, 2021, 07:57:29 PM »
A couple gale events with nuking northerly winds this month in California.  First one was more offshore and dangerously strong.

Today was another one, more NW in direction, lots of 30-40+ winds.  I went to Cowells to sup foil, was tolerable when we paddled out, gusting high 20s or more when we gave up, blowing straight offshore and felt pretty sketchy towards the end of our session.  Exciting in a way, as many foilers as regular surfers, more prone foilers.  Pretty fun and glad everyone came in safe.

Did you go out?  Wing? Surf foil? surf?  Where?
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "Gale Force Winds" in California - Did you go out?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 08:14:30 PM »
I didn't even want to get out of my car. I might have been hit by a flying object. Mega Blown. Our power was out for about 3 hours. There was someone windsurfing off main beach in Laguna. That still looked a little off the hook.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 10:16:34 PM »
I wanted to but everyone was saying the ocean was going to be a stew of dog shit, decomposed rats, and fertilizer. I was tempted, the ocean was empty, the surf looked nutty and the wind was nuking. I thought this is what we call "Tuesday" in Hood River. But no, I didn't go.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 04:57:04 AM »
 I grabbed  the carve skateboard in the SPG 5 m wing
Wife was going to Drive Chase car
we got down to Bolsa and it was a sandstorm gusting to 50
I think it would’ve been doable with a 3 m , but you would have to wear goggles and a respirator
decided it wasn’t worth it .
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 06:38:58 AM »
Got this report from the Half Moon Bay Harbor.

When it is blowing North West the wind comes flying over buildings and then swirls, eddies, puffs for an instant and then goes sour.  I have pronounced it the worst place to wing.  But I am sure there are TRULY worse places.

With enough North West like yesterday it can work.  It was blowing 30 to 40 all day.  Jeff Clark out on his 4.2 F-One.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal