Author Topic: Baja Daze  (Read 15548 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Baja Daze
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2021, 11:44:15 AM »
It would be hard to improve on the comments already posted, especially Talldudes, but I'll just chime in with my experience. For me ebikes get used:
1. more often
2. for more things
3. to go much further
4. much faster

I frequently pedal past fit people pushing their bikes or slowly cranking up grades that I'm powering up. I'm pedaling hard, but I wouldn't be pedaling at all if I didn't have help. Yup, people with standard bikes sneer, but then they spend $15K on things to make their bike easier to ride half the distance I'm willing to go on an eBike, so who cares?

I'd contend that I get a better workout because I'm more inclined to use my eBike for things I'd never consider using a standard bike for. I'm not doing century rides up Mt. Hood with a standard bike, I've done two with my eBike. I don't casually ride up to Parkdale with a standard bike, I do with my eBike. I don't take a standard bike to run errands, I do it all the time with my eBike. It goes well beyond being a substitute for a car. I've only had one MTB rider bitch at me in Post canyon, so I asked him how he got to the top. And of course, he shuttled. I didn't. He was on what I assume was a 5K+ bike. I was on my $200 fat tire Walmart Mongoose with $1500 worth of battery and motor.

the answer to your question about how you set the power is straightforward--yes, you can absolutely set the power to get the workout you want. The more sophisticated controllers are torque-sensing and you can set them to respond to the amount of power you are applying, not just the fact that you are pedaling, as speed sensing controllers do. Most newer high-end mid-motor bikes use torque sensing. One more reason to avoid hub motors.

As far as sailing goes, there are more suitable foil sailboats for your condition now, Moths require a great deal of agility. There are a lot of choices. Watching some of them sail in Mission Bay has been a revelation--they make powerboats look slow and clumsy. Not cheap, but not crazy either. the Mothquito -- https://www.mothquito.com/, Stunt S9: http://www.stunt-s9.com/, the F101 Trimaran https://www.parallel45marine.com/f101-foiling-trimaran/  , and a lot more.

I watched a guy a few weeks ago sailing the f101--pretty amazing boat. There was a guy in a ski boat chasing it and bouncing all over the place while the guy in the f101 looked like he could be eating a sandwich and taking a nap.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 12:04:26 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wingingtanuki

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2021, 04:57:48 PM »
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 05:03:52 PM by Wingingtanuki »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2021, 06:56:34 PM »
10 years with an e-bike.  Anyone that tries one realizes they are like a magic carpet ride.  Giggling right from the start. 

This is my 3rd of 4 eBikes but my preferred ride to the beach.  In fact it is my only ride to the beach.  1,200 session since Nov 2011.

My bike has started to replicate.  With a One-Wheel added to the mix. 

Unlike PonoBill I splurged on a $1,000 Fat-Tire bike with a front shock.  The shock cost $600 so it was a $400 bike with a shock and $1,500 of electronics.

Oh and the rack.  As Jeff Clark said "you have more time that rack design than the bike is worth."

« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 07:10:17 PM by Beasho »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2021, 02:40:13 AM »
This looks pretty sweet.  Nice mix of light weight with a little bit of help if I get in a jam.  Not too much of a beast when it falls on me :) .  I still want to pedal without assistance a lot.  At 35 lbs I should be able to burn myself out going uphill sans power for as long as I can and then spell myself with some extra juice.  That sounds great.  I ride most days but 1-1.5 hours tops is all I do.  Getting stoked for this.

When we moved to the Gorge we had Bridgestone Steel bikes.  They were a big investment for us at the time and we rode the hell out of those things.  Steel, rigid forks, thumb shifters, old school cantilever brakes.  These were high end at the time but they probably weighed more than this fully suspended e bike.  Crazy. 

We had two Santa Cruz Blurs that ewe brought back with us from Maui.  Great bikes.  They were carbon and both exploded into a zillion pieces when we got rear ended with them on the back of the car.  Insurance replaced them for us and we got some new Boingers, Chan a Specialized, I got an Ibis which has been great.  They were nicely speced at the time and we had them converted to 1X setups a few years ago.  Even so, they are 26 inch and the guys at the bike shop look at us like we walked out of a time machine when we get them tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7BTzji72Co
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 02:54:14 AM by Admin »

WingSurfPeterT

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2021, 05:37:56 AM »
Ok, now that this turned into a thread about ebikes. 

Has  anyone built a trailer to tow wingboards and a few wings behind a ebike.

If so, how did it work? We have lots of beaches but a lack of beach parking here so thinking about this option

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2021, 07:42:30 PM »
I've built trailers to carry 17' downwind boards behind eBikes and motorcycles, but now I just use a surfboard rack. I can carry everything I need either on the bike or in a backpack. For a foilboard, I think it's the way to go. Trailers are always a bit of a hassle.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2021, 03:26:57 AM »
My love affair with this wood oven is getting serious.  I have a couple dozen pizzas done now.  Fav so far is a goat cheese, tomato, jalepeno, onion, pineapple deal that was Scee-rumptious (although it made the Grandkids run and hide in disgust). 

Naan, yes!  I am going to do a lot more of those. 

Did a cast iron fish yesterday.  There is a dude who has a little one man fresh fish store and he gets Pierna, Jurel, and Sea Bass every day, all super nice.  Onion, Garlic, herbs, olive oil, olives and some grape tomatoes.  What it lacks in pretty it makes up in AWESOME.  Youch! 

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2021, 04:21:46 AM »
Nice.
 The trick too pizzas is too flame up just before you put them in. Have some small bits of wood. Some wood flames up better. Try a few and see. The ovens are that domed shape for the flame to circulate over the top. I get mine up too around 380-390°C. So as you are doing build the fire then once up too temp push the coals to one side.
 Then once your pizzas are done and the oven cools down you can do your slow cooking. I have a cast iron skillet, terracotta dishes and a big cast iron pot with a lid. I also have the raised grill to sit things on or grill.
 When I close it up it will stay around 120-140°C all night.
 There are thousands of slow cooking and smoking bbq vids to get ideas of times temps etc.
 As you are finding out they are awsome. I bought mine just for pizza but use it more for slow cooking now.
 Also great for the kids. We just put a big table out with everything on it and the kids make there own pizzas. Lots of fine semoule instead of flour so the dough dosnt stick. Again there are tons of vids.
 Elbow length fireproof gloves are a must. As well as some very long utensils.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 04:32:57 AM by tarquin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2021, 10:35:06 AM »
Coincidentally I've been making a lot of flatbreads and Pizza lately, though just in the standard oven I have in this rental house in La Jolla. I started with making Pita to go with Tagines I was making, but then I realize the only thing I needed to add to make a good Pizza dough was some olive oil, and I can do that even after the dough has been mixed. so I make a HUGE quantity of dough, use some, refrigerate some in bags, and freeze some. I thaw the frozen stuff in the fridge and take the refrigerated dough to room temperature before use. works perfectly.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2021, 11:09:23 AM »
Holy shit!  My Octopus Teacher guy had a second mid life crisis and is on to making wood fired videos.   

I am doing those taters, though (but with 1/10th that oil and a boatload of black pepper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djoub57k9Vk

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2021, 07:40:36 PM »
I have a perfect piece of raw material to make a wood-fired pizza oven from--the end bell of the 250-gallon propane tank that I made my smoke from. A little zip/zap with the plasma cutter and I'll have the dome. I think I even have enough Rockwool left over to insulate it. I think it will be mega-cool to do an aluminum shroud shaped like the end cap of a 50's airstream.

OK gotta do it. Another stupid project. You guys are a bunch of ADD enablers.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2021, 10:48:43 PM »
I bought one and it is basically that. A metal shell with insulation. You need to get the special bricks for the bottom though.
 I wanted to build a traditional one but some people in the know talked me out of it. The traditonal ones take ages to heat up and you have to be careful not to crack them. If its been raining and you heat one up too quickly they can crack.
The bottom of mine is a metal frame with insulation then the bricks. A double layer metal shell with insulation. There is also a deflector inside that gets the flame circulating.
 Like I said mine will stay hot all night.
 At the end of that vid he should have pulled out a big cast iron pot. " Now here is a big pork belly I have marinated over night. I am going to sear it on my fancy Tuscan grill then chuck it in the pot with a load of marinade and the lid on. I am going to stuff myself with steak and potatoes and a few bottles of red. Have a nap and wake up thinking bloody hell that was good. Then remember there is pork belly in the oven for dinner. Good bye."
 When you do those potatoes smash a few cloves of garlic and put them in the oil. Skin and all just smash the cloves with your hand and chuck them in. I also chop the top of a whole bulb and pour olive oil and balsamic on it then roast it.
 Weber briquettes are great too get things going. The thing you put them in to heat them up quickly too. Throw them in once they are red hot and some wood too flame up. I am up and cooking in under an hour.
 I think the airsteam look pizza oven is a great idea. I bet you could sell a few of those!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2021, 04:06:32 AM »
One thing I am liking about this (maybe because this oven is large) is that it can be raging hot edged up to the active fire/coals (one minute, fast rotate pizza hot) hot where the fire and spread coals were, and normal oven hot out by the opening. 

I stocked up for a Naan fest this week.  Youtube says a bit of yogurt and more sugar in the dough is the key.  OK.  Potato Onion Naan may offset my lame ass bike riding but...its happening.

Olivia loves making dough with me and creating designer pies.  Carson won't eat anything that he has seen being prepared or cooking and would prefer that all food came in geometric shapes (preferably in superhero packaging).  Nothing else can really be trusted. 

As for video guy, I can assure you that around here meat has never been put back on the bone.  Resting the meat may be a sound practice but we only rest the meat long enough to do 20 seconds of the "shhhhhh, the meat is resting" creep around....and then its gone, daddy gone.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2021, 12:55:09 PM »
My shop used to be a marble and granite cutting operation that went BK in the credit crunch. I have at least 40 pallets stacked with large marble and granite offcuts. I won't have any trouble building a granite base. Or 500 granite bases--maybe a thousand. Firebricks would be good addition but I'll probably just use what I have, make it five inches thick, rest the oven on it and max it out to see how much rock blows up.

I used to have a literal mountain of trim pieces my wife wouldn't let me ditch (she wanted to "make" things from them. I envisioned marble birdhouses)--until I pointed out there were rats and yellowjackets living in the mountain. Then boom--gone.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 12:58:41 PM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal