Author Topic: Baja Daze  (Read 15543 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Baja Daze
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2021, 05:32:48 AM »
Thanks guys.  You are awesome!

I have a kind of rare 10% shitty version of MS.  There is only one FDA approved drug for Primary Progressive MS and I am not good candidate because I am no longer developing new lesions.  My problem is that I have a lot of lesions in my brain and spinal chord that are in the process of degrading.  The drug works best on preventing new lesions so there is not much if any potential benefit to me.  There is a lot of stuff in the works that has great potential but it is all in various stages of trial.  This is one https://www.jpost.com/health-science/hadassah-stem-cell-treatment-could-let-ms-patients-walk-again-651475 .

I knew this was coming and I knew that I had lost some stuff this winter, but honestly, I thought I had this year.  I did gear up for Video just in case :).  I got myself a new camera and a great 400 prime (which I have always wanted).  I fully intend to stay involved and shoot a lot of foiling in the Gorge this upcoming season.  I have fallen in love with these foiling sports.  I love the activity but also the gear and I really enjoy the spectating aspect as well.  It is just a super nice thing to watch and I think I will love shooting and editing it.

Tall, that is a great suggestion on the e-bikes.  I have been looking at those and I am not sure which way to go.  My dad (80) just bought this Niner and he loves it https://ninerbikes.com/products/rlt-e9-rdo .  We actually rented eBikes when we were down here last year and we all got stoked on it (and those were very budget and beat up bikes).  The place we are at has these fat tire (not electric) bikes and I had never ridden one before.   Man are they stable and nice on stuff like deeper sand and gravel.  Super low pressure tires feels like suspension.  I may go with an e version of a fat bike or go with the widest traditional tires on a full suspension model.  Not sure about that yet.  This would be more about comfort and stability than performance.  I can't stand and ride so staying seated all the time...you get it :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2021, 07:24:09 AM »
If I were going to buy instead of build it would be from Luna, and either this if I wanted something more or less traditional that I could order with a 2000 watt option:

or this if I wanted to really piss off the folks at Post Canyon:

Yes, you can get it with pedals.

I do, however, have a spare 1500 watt motor we can slap on any bike you feel inclined to electrify. Little motors have a place, I just don't know where that might be. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 07:29:42 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2021, 07:41:23 AM »
Happy to hear you are planning on staying involved.  You have a lot of advantages to create great work including being at the Gorge AND knowing your subject matter so well. Mel and I look forward to seeing you guys again soon.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2021, 07:55:49 AM »
https://wattwagons.com/products/hydra

When I was looking at bikes last couple months that thing looks pretty amazing for a full suspension E bike. It has a fat tire option.

Then the budget fat tire option is always. Www.lectricbikes.com $900.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2021, 08:28:48 AM »
Wattwagon builds very cool bikes, though spec'd the way I'd want it's nearly $12K. That's serious bread for a bike, though I know the entire MTN bike world flings bucks around briskly. I'm very much in favor of internally geared hubs for eBikes, I used an Alfine for the three-wheeler I built about ten years ago and if I were going to make something serious instead of the crap I currently build, it would certainly have one. I tried a nuvinci in my three-wheeler as well but it's only rated for 250W and mine is 1200 watts. I'm just waiting for it to fry in the middle of noplace.

My current strategy is go mega cheap on the bike ($200 for Mongoose fat tire piece of shit) and not on the power plant so I can ride it on the beach, get it salty, watch it corrode away, and then toss the bike and swap the power onto another. I can do the conversion in about two hours. That strategy is working perfectly in La Jolla. The weird thing is that people with $5K bikes think my P.O.S. is really cool-looking. I'm on the beach with it pretty much every day. No one does that--they're all in the parking lot chained to a post. I rode mine down the cliff path to Blacks a few days ago to foil. the lifeguard came by and told me I was going to destroy my bike. I explained. He just kind of stared at me. I don't know whether he thought it was a great idea or that I was nuts.

The likelihood of Admin doing that is precisely 0, so I don't know why I'm bothering to recommend it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2021, 08:45:40 AM »
Admin that sounds like a total bummer, a big loss.  Poop.  Hope the other happy places in your life keep the stoke high.

If you ever want to collaborate on a many hands video project I'd love to hear about it.

My 5 year old and I have comfort levels on different planets.  I am stoked when he is up for some little waves, and we have discovered dune sledding which is pretty fun.  Most days some driftwood or the sand castle kit is the go to gear of the day...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 08:47:19 AM by clay »
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2021, 09:47:49 AM »
Really sorry to hear this Admin I thought it might of been a injury.Hopefully you can pick your days and still wing on smoother less choppy days or lake winging might be a bit easier too?Heard it’s pretty choppy down in LV and LB in Baja,might be making more difficult to wing there.Sure your stoke and passion will get you in the water to some capacity look forward to seeing some of your drone work.Oh Bill what is that rad looking Ebike looks like a E KTM bike? Thats what I don’t understand about these new E bikes more expensive than my 13 500 EXC KTM!
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2021, 03:56:16 PM »
I know what you mean Paddlur, though that Luna Sur Ron is a fairly reasonable $3800, though you can spend more on upgrades. Still spendy, my KTM390 Adv was $6200.

I got to ride one of the Sur Ron bikes that was fully kitted. The guy spent about 5K on it, but it was extremely cool. 20KW motor and a little over 100 pounds. That's 26 hp, and it felt like it--like a 100cc motorcycle with, only with a LOT of low end. I leaned back to wheelie it and went over backward. We killed the battery in about 30 minutes being hooligans, but he said when he rides it normally he's getting about 50 miles of range.

Deep Sea

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2021, 08:03:36 PM »
No quick fix and a damn roller coaster. If photography or the mountain bike thing take over, I’m down to join you. Also, think about sailing Lasers. Years ago, I had a friend with MS, a US Ski Team Olympian, and he absolutely loved Lasers and how it kept him in the moment. When you return to Hood River, I’ll be in touch. I want to hear more on Baja, the place looks great! Dave
SIC 14' V1 Bullet, Flying Dutchman, QB Ona Ava, Axis Foils, & Goya Sails.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2021, 10:53:13 PM »
Sorry to hear. Seems like you have plenty too keep you busy though.
 Pizza ovens are great for slow cooking too. Have something ready and once the pizzas or what ever are done throw it in and forget about it. I have done legs of lamb, duck confit. All sorts. Pork Pil Bil would be high on my list there!
 I have a metal rack i can grill on or put pans pots etc on. The little peletts are smoking pellets.
 Veggies too. Whole sweet potatoes!
 Enjoy.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 11:01:30 PM by tarquin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2021, 01:07:55 AM »
Those are some cool looking bikes.  My main interest is in fitness and I have been hesitant to go to an e bike because I don't want to sacrifice the leg workout.  I was biking a lot to keep my legs going before winging and I am going to need that again now.  Do you guys find that you can still get a strong workout on an e bike?  My hope is that I can set it to overcome the weight increase but not so much that it is too passive an activity.  Is that realistic or should I stick with a conventional bike with wider tires?

I would be happy to film you Zoners or share footage with you guys.  That sounds great to me.

Dave, I love sailing and it is something that I would love to share with my grandkids.  Before windsurfing, as a young kid,  I used to beg my dad to take me sailing sunfish.  I had looked into foiling moths before winging and it looks awesome to me.  That may still be possible.  I am going to consider all of that again.

Tarquin, That looks epic.  Tell me the whole path.  Are you leaving an active fire while you are doing your pizzas and then removing the fire for your slow cooking?  The oven here is pretty large and I have been making the fire to one side and cooking next to it.  It is really hot and fast. 

« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 01:27:26 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2021, 04:28:56 AM »
Do you guys find that you can still get a strong workout on an e bike?  My hope is that I can set it to overcome the weight increase but not so much that it is too passive an activity.  Is that realistic or should I stick with a conventional bike with wider tires?

We get a workout with ebikes. We just ride greater distances. Arrive with tired legs. Jacky pedals the whole trip. I sometimes stop pedaling, if my bad hip gives he trouble. I just throttle the rest of the ride. Certainly not as tired as regular biking, but still good exercise and fun because we can ride 25 miles.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 04:31:24 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2021, 07:18:13 AM »
I always say that with an ebike, you get as much workout as you want. If you just want a leaserly ride, use the motor a lot, for a good workout, don't. The big thing is that an ebike is not a substitute for a bicycle, its a substitute for using your car for short trips.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2021, 07:38:41 AM »
Substitute for a car is a good point. The phrase I see a lot with regard to ebikes is. Not easier, just farther and faster.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2021, 10:03:33 AM »
I would break e-bikes into different categories for clarity. Push and go and Pedal assist.
Push and go's..
  The bulk of the e-Bikes sold are for cruising. Beach Cruisers with fat tires get everyone to Trestles faster (and without mom having to drop the groms off and pick them up). On a weekend you could see a hundred fat tire e-bike parked on the beach at Trestles. Every kid in town has one, and they don't know how to pedal, nor do they use the pedals. Just a thumb switch throttle and zoom away. Older folks who normally wouldn't ride a bike or exercise much can now spin their legs around without much effort, be out in the fresh air and get healthier, which is awesome. These folks usually get non-fat tire cruisers.

Pedal assist..
  E-Road bikes..... not a big seller. You're talking the king's of the road, and ultra fitness EGO group who hates people in their way. They even dislike anyone walking that might blow there draft and momentum. This is serious business... not to be F'd with... you idiots! 
E-Gravel bikes.. I've seen a few out on the trails. Interest group.. Graveller's. It's a spin off of Road biking on the dirt. I don't quite get it, but I know people who love it. It's a Pickle Ball thing.
E-mtb... Surfer's hate Supper's in the line-up, Some mtb'ers hate e-mtb on the single tracks. It's never a going down issue, just pure jealousy when they wine past you on the assents.. and you have to move out of their way.... >:( Everyone I've met mtb'ing is nice, including the 'Pedal Assist'rs'. My wife is an avid mtb'r and she rides both kinds with different groups. She prefers the standard full-suspension mtb because she likes to climb. She's a little uncomfortable with steep single tracks. I'm just the opposite. The whole time I climb, I'm getting more excited about the down that's approaching. Mtb's have advance so much in the past 10 years, it's amazing. The longer frames with more slacked head tube angles and super advance suspension allows you to just charge down bumpy steep rutted terrain with ease and control.

The pedal assist motors are advancing every year and sense the pressure you are ally to the pedal. They can make micro adjustments within milliseconds to compensate for a weaker leg. You don't even feel it. A quick little incline that goes up 4', the motor will sense the need for power before you even realize you're in the wrong gear, and you'll just easily pedal up it. I was following a friend of mine who has an e-mtb and I saw his back tire spin climbing a steep little up hill. He said he didn't even feel it. 
The down side, weight. The e-bikes are heavy. If the battery dies on you, you are pushing it like a motorcycle out of gas. 50 lbs is on the lighter side. The e-Cruisers are very heavy and cheap. The high end light weight e-mtb's are the lightest. They want to be able to fly off jumps and not feel the weight, so you pay the big bucks for all that tech. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal