Author Topic: Baja Daze  (Read 15549 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Baja Daze
« on: January 25, 2021, 04:38:47 AM »
We are down in Baja sitting out the rest of the winter.  Fortunately, our daughter was able to join us and we have both grandkids here as well for at least a couple of months.  We were able to get a really nice home which sits at the bottom of a sweet 5 mile downwind run.  It is kind of a south shore Maui setup with cruisey, even bumps. 

It seems like everyone had the same plan to sit out covid down here.  I have never seen so many kiters in one place ever, including here in previous visits. 

I have been watching jetski foil lessons in the mornings.  Man, does that look frustrating.  I can hear them screaming at each other in Italian from the porch :)

We have been using our trusty Axis 760/860 and the 390 tails so far while we adjust to the new Ensis wings but I just cut down my 420 tail to 400 so we will see how that goes with the 980 today. 

My legs are pretty well garbage now so every outing feels seat of my pants crazy.  Even so, this sport so unbelievably fun.  Following swell with a wing and a foil, a mile off the coast, with your wife, jumping fish...magic. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 05:18:47 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Baja Daze
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 04:50:16 AM »
Kiters

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 09:41:24 AM »
La Ventana 8) Nice...... We are getting dumped on with rain, hail and snow at low elevations. I don't think you guys will see a drop of it. Generating some crazy winds too. Ocean is looking like 'Victory at sea'. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 09:48:23 AM »
Wow! Beautiful, and stoked you're able to stay at such a great place, have lots of fun, and especially being able to do it all with your daughter and grandkids enjoying it all with you. That's something very special for sure. 👍🏽💪🏽🙏🏽

Curious with your decision to cut down the 420 and losing the tips, instead a 460.
We have been using our trusty Axis 760/860 and the 390 tails so far while we adjust to the new Ensis wings but I just cut down my 420 tail to 400 so we will see how that goes with the 980 today.
The 420 tips were a game changer for me with just enough hold of the tail paired with the 910 and 900 than I was able to get with the 460 which liked to slide the tail a bit more than I was comfortable with.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 02:15:31 PM »
Sounds great, enjoy your stay.  Brings back fond memories of LV.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 09:40:55 PM »
Jealous! (Although that looks bloody crowded :o, but still jealous!). Heck, I’ll take anything over hands going numb at 45 deg. Maybe you can rig a cam and show us some of that cool video editing with Davinci Resolve

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 06:10:51 AM »
Curious with your decision to cut down the 420 and losing the tips, instead a 460.
The 420 tips were a game changer for me with just enough hold of the tail paired with the 910 and 900 than I was able to get with the 460 which liked to slide the tail a bit more than I was comfortable with.

Up until now I haven't really loved any of the high aspect tails.  The 420 cut to 400 feels pretty nice, though.  I am going to try it at 380 as well and see if that makes it better again.  I really like the 390 so that is still my high bar. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 06:33:43 AM »
I winged with flkiter yesterday. He tried my Kane tail. His preferred tail, is the 370 with the HPS front.

I totally get why we like different tails. Nick with the 370 tail, takes the HPS wing into a very “pumpy” ride. Nick can go out with a smaller Ensis than others, take off instantly, and pump all around.

While my style, of going for max speed all the time, the pumpy setup doesn’t work. It would go into hobby horse mode if pushed to max speed. So for me, the 420 tail works perfect.

Regarding the Kane tail, it doesn’t out pump the 370, nor does it out race the 420, but it is very loose.

Jacky has decided she doesn’t like reverse shimming the 420. She prefers no shim. Reverse shimming puts her riding nose low. The same nose low riding happens to me without the stock shim. So I ride with stock shim.

Admin, can you explain what you feel and why you like the tail setup you do, or what your style is.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 06:35:33 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 08:54:07 AM »
Up until now I haven't really loved any of the high aspect tails.  The 420 cut to 400 feels pretty nice, though.  I am going to try it at 380 as well and see if that makes it better again.  I really like the 390 so that is still my high bar.
Makes sense (as does what DW says about different strokes/stabs for different folks), and I too loved the 390...up until I found the 420...after I wasn't able to get the 460 to work on the 900...but loved it on the 860, go figure (yeah, I'm a mess :o :D).

The 420 on the 910 and 900 just feels like a nice combo of the 390's maneuverability with its tip to hold in the turns, and is much quicker closer to the 460 speed wise, but holds way better in the turns than the slippery/looser 460 does.

I think a lot of the discussion has to also do with front wing choice. As mentioned, the 460 worked great for me paired up with the 860, and I believe that has to do with the fact that the 860 has a much lower AS than the other two (6.10 to 6.80+), has the most surface area, and the "deep V" design.

All of which slow it down quite a quite a bit comparatively, and the "V" design works to lock into the turns better in itself...so a looser tail like the 460 speeds it up, but doesn't make it as squirrelly as it does the faster, looser HA and faster wings in the surf on a SUP at least.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 03:54:02 AM »
A little update.  I cut the 420 further down to 380 and up-shimmed it 1 degree.  This is the flattest setup I have run with any foil kit.  up .5 degree front wing, down 1 degree stabilizer for  total difference of 1.5 degrees.  This is with the 980 up front on a short black fuselage.  This really cools off the 980 and gets rid of the last bit of kick and jump.  It also gets it into the range of the 390 in terms of turning.  The 980 is still not a loose goose but this helps.

This made the 980 really fun in some gusty, lumpy higher wind conditions.  That is pretty cool to know. 

This makes me think that the upcoming 380 (with tips) will be awesome for me.  It also has me stoked for the smaller BSC wings that are coming for the Black Fuselage.    The upcoming 890 at 1290 area (just a hint smaller than my beloved 860 at 1293 and a bit smaller than the 980 at 1323) and but super thin and more oriented towards all around use and carving vs speed, hell yes!

I would say that mid weight guys or lighter will want to avoid the down-shim that Axis provides with the HPS series.  That may off-put people who might otherwise enjoy the wings.  If anything they will want to shim in the other direction.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 03:56:09 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 07:02:21 AM »
So you have the final production 980 at 1323?

Just so you don’t think we are crazy, Jacky and I have the preproduction 980s. Smaller, faster, raw unbridled performance, compared the final version. The production 930 is closer to the preproduction 980 size wise.

Final production HPS (a.k.a v2 980) is an easier to ride, tamer version. We actually prefer the original, and wouldn’t sell them at any price. Probably explains our difference in shim choice.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 07:37:08 AM »
My 980 says 1253 but the spec list reads 1323 so I assumed that was just a working-on-it thing.  I really don't know what mine is.  What is printed on yours?

I don't think you guys are crazy at all.  So many variables in all of this.  No wonder that they have a zillion options.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:52:02 AM by Admin »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2021, 09:49:25 AM »
Admin have you ever tried a unifoil setup? Sounds like you’d really enjoy it.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2021, 09:58:24 AM »
I haven't, but I think they look terrific.  Which on do you use?

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2021, 10:28:14 AM »
I had a signature albatross 175. (the original one) but just sold it as I'm out of the water due to injury for awhile. The way you talk about angles sounds to me like the unifoils which seem very very flat to me, would be up your alley. 

New Adam Bennets footage is insane glide on the latest prototype.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal