Author Topic: Equinox Session Under The Conjunction  (Read 2062 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Equinox Session Under The Conjunction
« on: December 22, 2020, 07:25:59 AM »
Caught a nice view of the Great Conjunction here in New Jersey. A few good waves and a new cat too!

https://youtu.be/LkPyeT6mPBE

What is the great conjunction 2020?
Jupiter-Saturn conjunctions happen every 20 years; the last one was in the year 2000. But these conjunctions aren't all created equal. The 2020 great conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn will be the closest since 1623 and the closest observable since 1226!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 07:31:34 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Equinox Session Under The Conjunction
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 12:08:30 PM »
1,000% stoke.. Pure
Thanks Mark

Cross replied :D
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Equinox Session Under The Conjunction
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 06:50:17 PM »
I wish I had brought one of my telescopes--I couldn't convince myself to buy another. I have two in Maui and two in Hood River. Until I stop playing hard and get something truly huge my little 6" guys will do.

Even a set of decent binoculars or a spotting scope will let you see Jupiter's Galilean moons and Saturn's gaudy rings, though without a motorized equatorial mount they move out of frame pretty quickly. Kids who are into astronomy have no idea of the work and expense we used to go through to have a scope one tenth as good as something you can pick up at Costco for 200 bucks.

We saw it from the deck of the house we're staying in at Solana beach with a cheap pair of compact Bushnell Binos that I carry in my truck. I could see two moons of Jupiter, and maybe a third wider orbit one--maybe Callisto. And a lopsided Saturn, which is really just the ring making it look like a potato instead of an orange. Fun to see--not significant of course, but fun.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 07:18:22 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal