Author Topic: Winging in very strong wind try2  (Read 10227 times)

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Winging in very strong wind try2
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2021, 10:17:07 AM »
I almost pulled the trigger on a 3m Hot Wings used from Maui that I saw on craigslist. But if I am into the upper end used market or new prices, I am waiting to see what the Ocean Rodeo wings look like.  Local company. And the allula material may be a game changer for the frame, thinner chambers with more strength.  However, if the kites are an indicator, they will be priced accordingly too! 
I'm excited to see what the Glide (OR's Aluula wing) is like too but more for what it can do for big wings rather than the smaller ones. Not that I don't think the smaller wings will benefit but more because it's the larger ones will get the biggest improvement. Apparently I'm 3rd on the UK waiting list - only 29 days to release now!
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2021, 11:37:20 AM »
Seems like these wings are likely to be disposable, when I am done with them, they may be mostly done! So gear will need refreshing sooner perhaps.

Sad but true. When I call my wing quiver the hobo fleet I'm not just referencing Admin's sense of humor. I don't think the 6.0 has any patches, but all the rest have been, and the 4.2 and 3.5 have visited Airtime in HR and the nice kite repair lady up in Haile Maile far too many times.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2021, 09:17:00 PM »
I have this thing I use when the wind is over 30. You guys gotta try it.

It’s called Netflix.

Pono I call dibs on that 3.5 when you upgrade. It’ll get used 2x a year here. It’ll last me years lol.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2021, 10:18:43 PM »
  Riding on the Indian River around Sebastian Inlet (FL) yesterday with gusts to maybe 33ish on my 4m echo.

Wait, what....you’re in Florida?

Everyone was at Ft Pierce yesterday. Behind the jetty. This was the wind sensor there.

You should go there in a N to NE. Super easy fun ocean place. Don’t go there today. They show it a tick trending NW. It’s gusty in that direction.

This was yesterday. Harry is on a 3.0m

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKmuP47rstw/?igshid=1rffpla9mygv5

Great! I really have no clue about riding spots down here. We don’t have decent jetties to work with in the OBX so dealing with shore break is the only choice. That looks like a piece of cake for this ole whimp.  Staying at Long Point Park north of Sebastian Inlet (in the new camper) and just figuring out riding spots now. Will try and hook up with Caribsurf today just south of Sebastian Inlet for some west wind River riding. 

So nice riding without gloves, hood and booties! This was a session on the 29th (?) with a 5m at the Sebastian Inlet SP River side. Shaking off the rust of almost no riding since mid Nov! It’s been a tough winter (quick Covid stint, parent with failing health)

https://youtu.be/5_H4kg5LjJI

« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 10:24:34 PM by obxDave »

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2021, 07:08:47 AM »
Nice video Dave...a little different than our conditions yesterday.
Great foiling with you on the river.  I saw the wind graph and there were gusts over 35+ mph while we were out there!   It sure felt like it to me.  I was in survival mode, but you were relaxed and killing it.  Hope to be as proficient a foiler as you next season. 
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal