Author Topic: Foilmount shims  (Read 4723 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Foilmount shims
« on: January 20, 2021, 07:21:55 PM »
I got these today on the recommendation of Dontsink, and I like the hardware and the shims. I'm still a little twitchy about 6mm foil mount stuff, but I'm warming up to it. I actually have all this hardware except the shims in Hood river and never used it because, well, I don't know why.

anyway, cool stuff, and my foil "looks" like it's right now. there isn't any real way to be sure until I put it in the water. I guess I could pitch the thing in the water in a calm place and get a reading on the angle of the deck when its floating, but I think I'll just go by look and feel. This LOOKS way better. Even though my flying dutchman board has a channel that aims to make a flat parallel surface for the foil to mount, this board was made for winging, and I think the foil angle Mark chose is too steep for surfing, so I shimmed the heck out of it. this is two plates, about 2 degrees of shimming.

I think it looks like it's going to be a HELL of a lot less draggy. I can retire my credit card, hotel key card and aluminum tape shim. technology marches on.

It's a lot easier to mount the mast now too--less fishing around to get the screws and plates right.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 07:29:34 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Foilmount shims
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 10:51:13 PM »
Looks pretty good!.

The shim angles can be measured with trigonometry or with an angle measuring app de for the phone.

If the angle is the same as what you had with the hotel cards it will ride the same,just a better connection.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 10:57:54 PM »
I don't have any trouble measuring the angles, but I don't have a reference line for the angle of the board floating in the water with me on it. No matter, I'll experiment to find the right combo. this is a lot thicker than my funky tape and card shim. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 09:01:38 AM »
I don't have any trouble measuring the angles, but I don't have a reference line for the angle of the board floating in the water with me on it. No matter, I'll experiment to find the right combo. this is a lot thicker than my funky tape and card shim. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.
I use shims to level the deck to the fuselage when needed. It's my believe/theory that the foil in flight want to find "level", so I use whatever shims are required to level the deck of the board to the fuselage, so when I'm just standing, gliding down the line w/o any input to the pitch...my board is level in flight vs nose up or nose down that makes maneuverability from those odd angles more difficult...IMO naturally.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 08:10:46 PM »
Yeah I really like the foilmount hardware. Originally they were designed to use with their stick on plate so sometimes the bolts were a little short for foil ready tracked boards. Now they just came out with some longer bolts sizes. Makes it easier for catching the back bolts with the nuts. And you can have threads showing even 3 shims stacked. It's really convenient.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 11:39:54 PM »
Where do you get these shims and hardware? 

Ponobill, do you know how much lighter the carbon mast is?

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 07:05:02 AM »

https://foilmount.com/products/trim-shim-stackable-hydrofoil-shimming-system

The longer bolts don't show on the site.  I'm not sure how they sell the new longer bolts, but id put that in the notes if you want them.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:37:48 AM by Fishman »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 07:08:08 AM »

No, I haven't weighed it, but it's not much lighter if it is at all.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 09:30:34 AM »
Yeah I really like the foilmount hardware. Originally they were designed to use with their stick on plate so sometimes the bolts were a little short for foil ready tracked boards. Now they just came out with some longer bolts sizes. Makes it easier for catching the back bolts with the nuts. And you can have threads showing even 3 shims stacked. It's really convenient.
About time they did that. I stopped using their Wizard Hat nuts and bolts when stacking more than one shim didn't leave me enough room for get the nut on...and I'm too lazy to be swapping nuts and bolts back and forth just because I changed the number of shims I happened to be running at any given time. Might now go give them another look if they've gone longer bolts.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 09:47:19 AM »
The shim set includes two additional longer bolts (4 standard, 2 long). In the picture the longer bolts are installed at the thick end of the shim (duh) and wind up with minimal protrusion. the long bolts look to be about 8-10 mm longer than the standard ones.

One thing I did that makes my hardware perhaps a little easier to use than the stock stuff is I added a heavier O-ring to the bolts. the purpose of the O-ring is to keep the bolt firmly in place in the track nut and keep it from dropping into the track which would make it difficult to get the cone nut engaged. The supplied O-ring is a little wimpy, I replaced it with one that's about twice as thick that I got at ACE hardware (probably not worth a special trip, but I was going there anyway).

I really like the shim design--very slick. They align to each other with two cast-in pegs that fit into corresponding divots. The peg on the bottom shim also slips into the tracks to align the shim. Tres slick.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 09:51:03 AM by PonoBill »

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 01:40:45 AM »
Are the 3 shims identical?

And could I just order the shims and use longer standard bolts, 30 or 35 mm instead of 25 mm?

I like things as streamlined as possible (asap)

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 05:09:19 AM »

And could I just order the shims and use longer standard bolts, 30 or 35 mm instead of 25 mm?

The 3 shims are the same. The hat wizard bolts and base are what makes this such a good design, no to the regular bolts.   I bought mine a while back and the only came with the shorter bolts. Bill got his with both kinds so I assume they come that way now. You should be good.

I just saw the other size bolts listed here.

https://foilmount.com/products/t-bolts-for-wizard-hat-hardware-set-sets-of-4
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 05:19:20 AM by Fishman »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 08:32:52 AM »

You could, but as DontSink pointed out, without the Wizard Hat pivoting design you'll be placing all the clamping load in the tracks on just the edge of the T-nuts. which makes it a lot easier to break out the tracks. The full kit of shims and bolts isn't expensive if you don't need the 15mm wrench it's 59 bucks. I bought the full kit which was kind of silly, but it includes both the long and short bolts and a decent ratcheting 15mm wrench for 69 bux. I don't know if the 59 buck setup includes both bolts lengths but I expect it does. But yes, you can buy just the shims for 34 bux.  The right bits cost a lot less than replacing tracks. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 09:02:37 AM by PonoBill »

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM