Author Topic: I forgot how much fun it is...  (Read 5708 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I forgot how much fun it is...
« on: January 16, 2021, 03:55:31 PM »
...to just paddle. How I could do that is a testament to my thick-headedeness. Creek has been showing us all the way since rocks were a new idea.

I went out today in La Jolla Shores despite a crowd that makes Wingaersheek Beach in July look sparsely populated. But I just drew a beeline for the water, avoided everyone, and paddled out. Crumbly little waist high shore pound with the occasional overhead set that beat the snot out of the Wavestorm crowd. No criticism intended, I love wavestorms.

So I mostly just paddled. Poached a few, reminded myself once more that I apparently lost ten years or more of SUP surfing experience in two years of foiling. I paddled down to the pier, then back to the end of the cliffs where all the tourists milling around downtown congregate and do their best to fall into the water.

Nice day, nice paddle. I'm going to do this every day. No idea why it took me so long to realize I should do this.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I forgot how much fun it is...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 05:07:36 PM »
I've been doing some distance paddling too lately. I think last time I saw you I had just F''d myself up. Board to the ribs, and an aggravated ACL all in one outing. Knee is good enough to stand on and the swelling is down. Ribs are still tender and it hurts to paddle, but I can't sit still. I paddled 6 miles yesterday on my unlimited and watched an un-surfable old Killer Dana break just barreling at 10' plus. It was high tide but the reef there is right at the surface. Just admired it from a distance. That used to break all the way into where Dana Point harbor is now. Before my time.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 06:19:12 PM »
My knee is bugging me a little. It doesn't really hurt, but it's weak and it fucks with my balance. I found a nice little spot to SUP surf at La Jolla--a cove that doesn't seem to have access from the cliffs above, so I have to paddle about a mile to get to it--which means it's not plugged with folks. the surf isn't anything all that special, but not terrible. I'm so spoiled with Maui, if you can't go for half a mile and do twenty turns then it sucks.

Glad to hear you're on the mend. You didn't look that screwed up on the beach, but we all know how that goes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 07:05:49 PM »
Hey Pono, did I miss something? Are you living in SoCal these days? 
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 07:16:57 PM »
I need to get back to it myself. I'm in terrible shape....Covid 20 anyway...and my head is back to being my own personal merry go round. Need to press the reset button.....again. :P
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 07:31:00 AM »

Just temporarily. We rented a place in Palm Desert for November to dodge the cold and give Diane a chance to play some golf, then moved to Solana Beach for a month so I could surf and foil, now we're in La Jolla until March. We plan to go back to Hood River for March, assuming the roads are clear, and hopefully get Vaccinated. Then Maui for a month or so to finish up remodeling and setting up Ponohouse again, get in a little foiling at the best place for foiling on the planet, then probably back to Hood River to wing for the summer.

Other than that you didn't miss much.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 07:34:35 AM »
I need to get back to it myself. I'm in terrible shape....Covid 20 anyway...and my head is back to being my own personal merry go round. Need to press the reset button.....again. :P

I've backslid a bit myself. I haven't gained any weight, but I've lost muscle. I plan to paddle about every day until we head back to Hood River. I might have to replace my Foote 10'4", it weighs a ton these days.

Fucking COVID.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 11:58:57 AM »

Just temporarily. We rented a place in Palm Desert for November to dodge the cold and give Diane a chance to play some golf, then moved to Solana Beach for a month so I could surf and foil, now we're in La Jolla until March. We plan to go back to Hood River for March, assuming the roads are clear, and hopefully get Vaccinated. Then Maui for a month or so to finish up remodeling and setting up Ponohouse again, get in a little foiling at the best place for foiling on the planet, then probably back to Hood River to wing for the summer.

Other than that you didn't miss much.
Haha sounds like you are having some fun.  I lived in La Jolla in 1991 and loved it Say hi to the crew at Windansea. Loved that surf break
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 12:06:44 PM »
I like Windandsea too, but it's not exactly a welcoming crowd for foils or SUP. It's the first place I ever stood on a surfboard--a rental with no wax. It didn't go well. I was going to basic electronics school in the Navy at the time. I could walk over the hill and be at Windandsea.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 12:08:27 PM by PonoBill »

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 02:04:13 PM »
I lived at 720 Arenas St.  Just a 5 min stroll to Windansea...all I did was surf then, and I was between jobs so could surf during week when everyone was at work..I’d avoid the weekend crowds.  I almost died at “Hospitals”  around the corner from Windansea on a big day.  No one out so I thought I’d paddle out and enjoy it all to myself..big mistake. I didn’t know it was called Hospitals until after I straggled to shore.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 06:53:46 PM »
I lived at 720 Arenas St.  Just a 5 min stroll to Windansea...all I did was surf then, and I was between jobs so could surf during week when everyone was at work..I’d avoid the weekend crowds.  I almost died at “Hospitals”  around the corner from Windansea on a big day.  No one out so I thought I’d paddle out and enjoy it all to myself..big mistake. I didn’t know it was called Hospitals until after I straggled to shore.

Nobody else out at a reasonably popular break is an important sign. I went for a second session yesterday when the tide was lower. Nobody out at the little cove I've been SUP surfing. I discovered on my second good size wave it was beçause all the rocks that are four feet under the surface are now six inches under with waves breaking right on them. Nothing worse than one slice in a toe, but some caution and a bit of exploration is required.

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 06:32:14 AM »
Hi Bill.  I think with this wind blowing, will venture out with the wing.  Will send you a dm.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2021, 07:26:10 AM »
I went yesterday, it was OK though the wind was offshore from the Riviera side, and flukey as hell, with a big dead band from the cliffs, so some belly crawling was required to get back in. I can see why the kiters launch there--they need the beach, but it seems to make more sense for wingers to use the other side.

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2021, 06:18:41 PM »
Was hoping today the wind predictions would hold, but my timing was off.  Left work early but the wind kept dropping from lunch onward  I've been winging less than a year, and so far I've learned the wind window 🪟 in San Diego is very tight.  It can be difficult getting reps in as the best wind is typically mid day during the work week.  Fortunately there are other activities such as surfing that can be really fun.  I would just like to mix it up a little more.  So keeping fingers crossed for another Jan wind event.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2021, 06:52:32 PM »
According to iWindsurf Monday should be epic.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal