Author Topic: 3 Billion Heartbeats  (Read 1861 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
3 Billion Heartbeats
« on: January 16, 2021, 09:01:01 AM »
PonoBill got me on to The Big Picture by Sean Carroll. 

This book and more specifically this passage helped me get through a rough New Years crossing. 

3 Billion Heartbeats that is all you get.  Make good use of them. 

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Billion Heartbeats
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 09:01:44 AM »
And his conclusion is poignant.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 09:45:53 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 09:02:15 AM »
I have used ~ 1.45 billion heartbeats.  The rest is gravy.

However I am taking note of my heartrate and isolating what causes it to go DOWN. 

Every year for the past 3 years there has been a nadir (low point) in August.  What happens in August?

Oh yeah!  It is summer time, there are LESS waves and I run more.  I go from surfing 3 to 4 days a week on the West coast and no running to running 3 to 4 days a week and NO surfing on the East Coast.   

Running is terrible other than for 1) Improving breath holding 2) staying in shape and 3) curing hangovers

Maybe good for heart rate too.  Surfing just makes your chest get bigger so you feel justified eating more hamburgers.   

Graph below is Monthly Resting Heartrate by Month.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 09:31:13 AM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 09:14:07 AM »
Glad you like it, it's quite a book, I need to listen to it again, though Sean Carroll's use of what I call the "rising interrogative" speech pattern makes me a little nuts.

Was that a question??

I've listened to his book on quantum wave theory--"Something Deeply Hidden" twice now. Driving to San Onofre is good for audible education.  I'm still struggling with the ramifications, though the concepts are clear enough. I've doubled down on my general particle and quantum wave physics library to get a broader viewpoint of loop quantum gravity and other approaches to quantum theory foundation. I don't expect things to spring into some kind of clarity, but I need to at least understand the alternatives. It's probably time to revisit Feynman's Lectures on Physics which taxes me ridiculously but generally leaves me thinking I understand some things. One of his colleagues likened his lectures to Chinese food: "I leave the lecture feeling that I understood it all, but half an hour later I'm stupid again."
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 09:45:05 AM »
Was that a question??
. . . . Feynman . . .

Yes! "Why did Aunt Minnie slip on ice?"

I work with a bunch of uber Math nerds.  Harvard & MIT types.  I was good at math.  NY State math competition in 8th grade.  BC Calculus grade 11 in high school scored a 5 on the test.  2 more years of advanced calculus in Engineering school at Cornell . . I had enough . . . The guys I work with make fun of me when I have to remember the difference between the independent and dependent variables.  I never liked the semantics.  They manage the machine learning side of the house. 

When people ask 'Why' the machine predicted what it did we often say it's like magnets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1lL-hXO27Q&vl=en-US

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 09:49:15 AM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 11:53:46 AM »
the stuff slides away quickly if you don't use it. I have to go back to Kahn academy every so often and run through their math classes. The nice part now is that I don't really have to plod through, I can blitz at near skimming speed and get a good refresher. If somebody at Kahn is looking at the data they probably think I'm a prodigy instead of a 74-year-old geezer who can't remember his daughter's birthdays.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal