Author Topic: Forearm cramps in cold weather  (Read 3807 times)

Carpediem

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Forearm cramps in cold weather
« on: January 16, 2021, 08:12:28 AM »
Hi all. I've been lurking here for a few months and learned a lot, great forum.

Does anyone have some tips on how to avoid forearm cramps? I never had issues with it winging in non-cold weather, but recently tried to wing a couple of times in about 7 Celsius (45F, which maybe isn't that cold for some people) and after 20 minutes could hardly hold the wing anymore. Not sure whether because of the gloves (only 2mm, loose fit) or the cold itself.

I can kite for hours with 3mm gloves and don't get cramps. The harness (which I don't use for winging yet) surely helps. But maybe holding a wing handle, and specially pumping also has a lot to do with it?

Have been stretching before and during the sessions (after wipe outs), eating potassium rich foods.. anything else to try?

Me: 75kg
Board: Indiana 74l
Wings: Swing V2 5m, Takoon 4m
Foils: Gong Veloce L

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Forearm cramps in cold weather
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 09:33:50 AM »
CD,  ' Limited to the situation, or have you had them outside winging?   I had my annual with my Derm last week; she's a strong bike rider.  I was complaining my forearms got cold riding when all else was Ok.  She said a lack of tissue/circulation coverage... eve tho' I usually wear long sleeves with a nylon jacket.

I made a set of Polarfleece to-the-forearm shorties to test.  Send me your address in a PM - I send you a pair to water-test. (I ain't going in 40f water!)

Outside that, I take 500mg Magnesium both for heart rhythm and geezer leg cramps at night.  I am not convinced it works.  I do get some of the best isometrics for my thighs and calves at 3 am!

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 12:59:01 PM »
Hi all. I've been lurking here for a few months and learned a lot, great forum.

Does anyone have some tips on how to avoid forearm cramps? I never had issues with it winging in non-cold weather, but recently tried to wing a couple of times in about 7 Celsius (45F, which maybe isn't that cold for some people) and after 20 minutes could hardly hold the wing anymore. Not sure whether because of the gloves (only 2mm, loose fit) or the cold itself.

I can kite for hours with 3mm gloves and don't get cramps. The harness (which I don't use for winging yet) surely helps. But maybe holding a wing handle, and specially pumping also has a lot to do with it?

Have been stretching before and during the sessions (after wipe outs), eating potassium rich foods.. anything else to try?

Baggy arm wetsuit. Windsurf specific suits used to always have loose fitting arms. Tight sleeves fatigue your grip and cramp your forearms. Today you rarely see suits like this. Everyone has gone to thin, super flex arms. Baggy dry suit tops work well.

Jeroensurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 02:02:27 PM »
Usually I read most of the time, but do wave sail and sup for decades each winter in +10C till -2C a lot.
Since this autumn also winging I have some experience with this  :)
There can be a couple of things:
1) the gloves are loose and your grip slips all the time so you need to adjust and grip harder wich is way more tiring as just putting your hands on the bar. What to do about it: wear open palm gloves and if the opening is too small cut it wider. they only need to cover the tips of your fingers to work.

2) when you prefer full gloves: the surf ones often aren't grippy enough! get windsurf gloves, they have more of sticky material on the inside that prevent slipping that helps a lot!.

3) too tight around the wrists, this puit extra tension on the tendons and muscles, sometimes even partly cuts of the circulation: loosen the straps and/or try to make them wider around the wrists.

Any decent surf suit nowadays is flexy enough around the wrists, but in the rare occasion it is still too tight for you stretch it up by putting 1.5l softdrink bottles in it too pre stretch it, or get it cut slightly wider at your local repair shop.

I don,t like the cold but when everything comes together, going out in zub-zero celcius is no big deal as long as the water stays liquid :)

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 04:32:15 PM »
I’ve been really digging my new pre-curved kayak mitts (3mm). Huge difference over 2mil patagonia surf gloves. Hardly any fatigue and very warm. Kota tat or something is the brand.
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 02:23:52 AM »
Aside from good fitting wetsuit stuff, for me it’s always been about being able to depower the hand wing as much as possible and still stay upwind on foil. Less pull from the wing ===> less arm/leg fatigue

With a decent high aspect, low volume (thin!) foil in the water, it’s amazing how little power is required in the hand wing to not only generate decent upwind speed but even cruise through the tacks. 

This is a really boring clip with all the wetsuit garb (including 3mm 5 finger gloves) this last week in ~48 deg water.  Light winds with a 5m Echo and Veloce XXL. I’m hardly pulling on the Echo and the foil just generates speed and glides through the tacks. I don’t think my arms would last 10 minutes in gloves if that hand wing was actually pulling hard :P

https://youtu.be/vx9h8Hb2z1s
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 02:43:39 AM by obxDave »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 08:47:04 AM »
I'm not in cold water, but I have ample experience with cramps in every possible muscle. Magnesium Citrate helps a lot, 200mg is generally about right. Other forms of magnesium don't help--from what I've read it doesn't metabolize well. I have two great big bottles of the wrong stuff that did nothing. If you take too much for your body size you'll know--milk of magnesia, the laxative, is unsurprisingly, magnesium citrate. Take too little and I'm leaping out of bed at 3:00 AM to walk off cramps. Take too much and I'm leaping out of bed to dash to the bathroom.

If you don't like taking supplements you can eat a LOT of spinach or a 1/4 cup or so of rice bran daily.

The skinny floppy handles cramp my forearms in warm weather, never mind cold. I developed my fake boom in two steps, the first step was a series of reinforcements to stiffen the handles and increase the size. There's an optimal size at about one inch--too big and your hand cramps, too small, and your forearm cramps. Lots of windsurfers know that all too well.

You could do that or jump to the fake boom, which is actually easier to make and install. I posted the rambling video on how I made it here somewhere.

Found it: https://youtu.be/LdgHfNHLhQU

While you're at it, install one of the harness lines DW recommended, which work perfectly--Duotone with adjustments on both ends. I don't remember what they call it. A simple Da Kine Maniac short hook on a belt is all I use for a harness. I only use it going upwind, but that gives you a chance to rest and shake out your forearms. I can single hand easily and no hands with a little fiddling. Upwind puts the greatest strain on your arms.

Most of all, force yourself to open your hands. A death grip on the handles, even the floppy ones, isn't necessary. Like almost anyone with windsurfing experience, I hold the wing with my fingertips. The fake boom makes that easier, but you can do that with anything.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 09:11:08 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Carpediem

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 09:20:45 AM »
Thanks for the input!

Wetstuff, it happens only winging. PM sent. Thanks for the magnesium tip, but I forgot to mention I've been taking that too (magnesium citrate).

DW, good point. Now that I think of it, my wetsuit is preety tight on the forearm. I will try to stretch it doing something similar to what Jeroensurf suggested.

Jeroensurf, thanks for the input on gloves, will cut open the palm of my cheap Decathlon ones  :D

VB, those gloves seem nice. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dave, good point, but I don't think that's the issue in my case.

Bill, good points. Since in the summer I can wing with no harness for hours, I suspect the issue at hand is more related to cold, wetsuit and/or gloves. But have just ordered a harness line, which will certainly help.

oakfish

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 12:11:40 PM »
+1 on gloves adding to grip fatigue. 2 sessions this weekend, one with gloves, one without. Significant fatigue when wearing gloves (but too much fun to stop).
I only have standard neoprene gloves. Pre-curved ones sound interesting.

Carpediem

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 03:51:11 AM »
Winged yesterday with cut open palms, neoprene 2mm. Ugly job, scissored it all the way to almost half of each finger. But what a difference! Cold yes, but no cramps whatsoever, managed to stay out for 2 hours.

Had also tried to widen the wetsuit forearms with bottles, but not sure how permanent that was, as it was still pretty tight.

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 04:27:41 AM »
I solved with Ion pre curved gloves.
Warm and no arm pump

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM