Author Topic: Opinions please - Sunova 10"x30.5 137L Style XL vs Infinity New Deal 10"x29 139L  (Read 5211 times)

SurfnCJ8

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Morning All, Looking for some input/opinions on these 2 boards please. I am on the hunt for the next step from my Fanatic Allwave 9.4 173L. It has done everything I needed, but I am ready to drop some in volume and increase performance. Thinking I would like a longboard style SUP as well as a short board style (because doesn't everyone need at least 2 boards?). These 2 (Sunova 10"x30.5 137L Style XL vs Infinity New Deal 10"x29 139L) are up for sale pretty close to me and I am trying to decide of one of them can fill the longboard slot for me. I have not ridden either, or any perfomance longboard SUP for that matter.

Stability & wave catching ability are pretty high priorities for me. If I am struggling to stand or catch waves then that takes away some of the things I enjoy most about SUP surfing. I am in NC so the waves are not great here, but there is something smaller & rideable most of the time, with some good days thrown in.

Also concerned that dropping from  the 9.4x 33 173L down to the 140L range may be too much of a drop for my current skill level. I am 6.2 200lbs, not a beginner but probably low to mid intermediate.  Any info/input/suggestions are appreciated.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Go for width. Leave the narrow California boards to California surfers. They surf glass. In NC you surf choppy crap.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'd say don't complicate things. Get one board that meets you at the corner of performance and longboard.
Sunova has the Steeze 9'6 x 31 @ 144.5L Infinity has the New Deal 9'6 x 31 @141L.

I have the Steeze 9'2 x 30.5 @136L for East Coast winter and I'm at 195LBS (with winter gear).
Both performance and build are pretty good. Better wave count than all the sub 9' around.
in progress...

supthecreek

Hi SurfnCJ

The 9'4 Allwave is a very stable board with fairly full rails, so the drop you are talking about will be considerable.
I spent years on the Allwave... from 9'6 to 8'10

I have had many years on the regular 10' Style, but I have never had a chance to ride the New Deal, although I have always wanted to.
For a reference, the years riding the Style I was anywhere between 215 lbs and 240 lbs.

The boards you are looking at both have low volume rails and are fairly tippy.
Of the two, the Style XL is a fairly big board, with a wide nose.
Having that extra overall width added to a very full nose will probably give you the best choice for your longboard shape.
The advantage of the wide nose will be obvious when paddling.... it gives amazing lift and stability when paddling for a wave.

I have never ridden the XL, but I will post a few vids on my 10' Style.
I am an oddity... I ride the nose much better going backside, so I will post one vid of me going left so you can see how well the Style noserides.... it's almost like cheating.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e8v9H2MvEg

The next vid I am surfing frontside and it shows how nicely the Style turns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRTTyc0BT7w&t=80s

SurfnCJ8

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks for the input. I may go take a look at the style and see if I can try it out. I plan to keep my Allwave as well and I am in no rush.

Creek, Great videos. You make it look so easy!  Still hoping to catch up with you if you pass through NC this spring and see/hear about the Sunova lineup.

I am in the process of cleaning out the toybox a little so another board will happen. Just trying not to make an expensive mistake. Seems like there has not been a lot of used boards for sale here lately. Or at least I have not seen them if they are.

BigZ

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have never tried the Style but I do have New Deal 10x29. I am 6'4 and 240 pounds. It is a great board. I use it mostly at two extremes: for really small and weak waves and when the conditions get rough and big. For medium or smooth waves I will be on a smaller and shorter board.

I find the board very stable but I am one of those "California surfers who surf glass"  ;), if you can call Pismo Beach or Jalama Beach glass. The board feels very composed and safe on fast and steep waves. On the other side of the spectrum it has good glide so works really well in ankle snappers.  It also turns extremely well for a 10 footer if you step back - it has a pretty narrow tail and rather pronounced rocker. Infinity construction is phenomenal. My board is about 18 pounds and it is tough as nails.

I would highly recommend the New Deal. It could be your one board for all conditions or can be a starting point for a great quiver if you ever want to move to smaller boards.

Your first few days may be challenging coming from a 33 inch wide board but for a 29 wide board it is very stable.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:39:47 PM by BigZ »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Infinity store manager Mel ripping it up on her New Deal...
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

Smiling Mel!!!! She's awesome  ;D

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I like looking at guild factor.  This website gives a rough guide:
https://www.supconnect.com/tips/volume-in-stand-up-paddle-surfboards
Basically says:
a beginner should have a guild factor (gf) = 2
intermediate (gf) = 1.7
advanced (gf) = 1.3
Your current board has a guild factor of 1.9.
Both of the boards you are looking at have the same guild factor:
sunova 10' x 30.5" 137L gf = 1.5
new deal 10' x 29" 139L gf = 1.5
Stability & wave catching ability are pretty high priorities for me.
Based on your priorities, you may want to lean towards the wider board.  I haven't tried either of these brands.
With respect to a guild factor of 1.5, I think that is a perfect next jump down for you.  I made the greatest progression while riding a gf 1.5 board (should have skipped the 1.67 in hindsight).
I am the same height and weight as you. This past year, my guild factor progression has gone 1.67 pintail (@29.125" wide), 1.52 pintail (@33" wide), 1.55 squash tail (@32" wide), 1.4 pintail (@ 30" wide), 1.44 squash (@30" wide), L41 ST 1.4(@30.5" wide), 1.39 pintail (@29.5" wide), L41 Simsup 1.37(@31" wide), L41 TV Dinner 1.28 (@29" wide).  Now that winter swell is here I bounce between a 1.93 pintail (@ 28 7/8" wide) and a 1.52 pintail (@ 30" wide).  But with the additional weight in winter rubber those gf are probably more like 1.8 and 1.4 respectively.
I think having a longboard and a shorter board is a great combo.  I lean towards the shorter board if the tide is low and the waves are steep and pitching.
You may want to check out Blue Planet as they have some fun boards in the 140L range.  Their rails are nice and thin compared to the AllWave.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 10:57:58 AM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

SurfnCJ8

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I am supposed to meet up this weekend to see the boards. Leaning towards the Sunova though for width/stability.

I regularly watch all the classifieds here. I'm trying to do the majority of my learning curve on used boards, that way it doesn't hurt my bank account so much when I realize I need/should have gotten something different. I surf with a great group of friends. There are at least 6 of us that go pretty regularly and it covers a decent range of skill levels and board sized and shapes. We are always swapping boards so I feel fortunate to have that opportunity to gather info without the $$ investment. As far as I know there are no dealers here curently so demos are not really an option.

Thanks again for the input. I will keep you all updated.

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
I will throw in my 2 cents.

I own both the new deal and Style, I am 220 lb and have the slightly smaller versions of each. The new deal is fast, but fairly tippy, not a step-down or one board from my experience.  My go-to longboard is my Style (10' x 131 L). I love it! I just got back a month of surfing in Baja and only brought 2 boards, the Style was one of them. That said I'm not sure if I would recommend it for you either. It is made to stick to the water for nose walking which it does, but that also makes it a slowish paddler. If you are willing to put in the time it is a great board. Those are my 2 longboards so not comfortable recommending another.

Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

Paddle On

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
One other data point, Mel IS awesome, but she is a tiny little thing and the guy who sold me the Style did me right!
Paddle On 6'1", 215lbs - Portal Barra 7.11, Infinity 8.2 RNB, Portal Phantom 8.3, Infinity B-line 8.5, Infinity 10.0 New Deal, Sunova 11.0 Style, Starboard 9.0 Hero, Black Project Surge Paddle

SurfnCJ8

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Update. Met over the weekend and ended up bringing the Style home. Seller was great and I feel like he really did me right on the price. Board is like new and in great shape. He let me try it out, conditions were bad for here. Windy and surface bump. Upside is I was able to stay on it pretty well and caught a couple waves when there really were none to be had. I think it will be the perfect step down in volume and fill the longboard slot for me very well. I want to learn to walk the board more and noseride and it seems like it should be good for that. Can't wait to get it out on a clean day without wind.

I still have my allwave that I can fall back on when needed. Plus since the price was right that means I can keep hunting for something to fill the shorter board slot in the quiver. Thanks for all the info and input. I will give some impressions after I get some time in on it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal