Author Topic: What arm muscles does winging workout most?  (Read 7765 times)

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What arm muscles does winging workout most?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2021, 10:28:00 AM »

I can relate to what you all are saying.

I am only about 3 and a half months into winging but have noticed that my body is coping better with the increased stresses as my technique has improved. Kitefoiling seems low load bearing by comparison due to harness use.

The only part that concerns me a bit is my hands, slight swelling of the main finger joints. Admittedly, this is after a number of sessions in a row and may come down to overuse of an older body. I have not found any way of preventing it from happening but it does not really bother me when I am on the water. I try not to do really long hauls upwind.

At this stage, I do not use straps or a harness.

I am having trigger finger problems,never had them windsurfing.
My lef index got swollen at the second joint,it  would hurt and lock up  when straightening with popping noises.
Now i have been landlocked for 20 days and it is getting better slowly.
I am 49 and i thought it was arthritis but now i am not so sure.
I think holding soft curved handles for long sessions in cold (13C) water are causing this.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2021, 07:02:16 PM »
I am having trigger finger problems,never had them windsurfing.
My lef index got swollen at the second joint,it  would hurt and lock up  when straightening with popping noises.
Now i have been landlocked for 20 days and it is getting better slowly.
I am 49 and i thought it was arthritis but now i am not so sure.
I think holding soft curved handles for long sessions in cold (13C) water are causing this.

Yes, you're right. The soft handles make you close your hands to control them--people close their hands in a death grip. And of course you didn't have a problem windsurfing, you used a harness. Anyone past the kook level controls a windsurfer with their fingertips. I started having trouble with my fingers windsurfing many years ago and a doc who does hand surgery (carpal tunnel, trigger finger, etc) told me to get rid of the boom grip and learn to use just the second two joints of my fingers control and hold the boom. the same doc did my carpal tunnel surgery years later after a zillion hours of pounding keyboards.

I honestly don't get why anyone with a wing that has floppy handles doesn't do a fake boom and set up a harness. If I wasn't using those two devices my hands would ache every night. With them, no problem at all. My hands feel great. One look at my hands would tell anyone that I should have all kinds of problems. I don't.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 07:05:48 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2021, 01:12:18 AM »
Well, i have used a harness almost since day one,as an ex windsurfer it felt common sense to let body weight and a string do the boring work.
Now using a belt leash and plastic NSI like DIY hook ,really good setup.

I am not using a fake boom...yet.I think it will help too.
Carbon tubes are on the way Ponobill :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2021, 07:00:15 AM »
Good, I can't guarantee that it will solve all your hand problems but at least you'll have a fighting chance, and it makes transitions easier too. I tried to do an upwind-downwinder yesterday morning in light air. I got to just past the hatchery when the wind shut off like someone flipped a switch (I think the problem was that Greg Leion got in range of Hood River--the power of the Black Snake is in this one). I held the boom in the middle with one arm, braced with the other arm, and spinnaker-ed back to the event center. No fun, but infinitely better than the alternatives. Some people might be able to do that without a fake boom, but I can't.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM