Author Topic: Build: Deep Tuttle to Plate Adapter  (Read 3835 times)

foil-freak

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Build: Deep Tuttle to Plate Adapter
« on: January 08, 2021, 08:20:05 AM »
Inspired by one of the threads in this forum (https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=33335.0) I built my own deep tuttle to plate adapter. It was about 2 weeks of work with roughly 6 lamination steps. So far the adapter held up well in about 25 sessions including pump foiling. For more than 50 pictures of the build checkout: https://foil-freak.com/posts/deep_tuttle_plate_adapter

foil-freak

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Build: Deep Tuttle to Plate Adapter
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 08:33:25 AM »
some more pics

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 10:21:07 AM »
wow, really nice build, thanks for sharing!  where did you find the official dimensional specification for deep tuttle in order to make your male plug?  Did it end up fitting flush with the Moses tuttle mast?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 10:31:44 AM »
WOW! I'm always so impressed by the talent that so many Zoners have here when it comes to creating functional, and beautiful works of art.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

foil-freak

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 01:43:20 AM »
Thanks!
The dimensions were indeed a problem as most manufacturers have their own interpretation of what a deep tuttle box is - so there are no 'official' dimensions. What I did is to take the average of the Moses dimensions and two slalom windsurfing fin head dimensions (Drake and some other brand) and add a few mm in height. For Moses, the adapter fits perfectly and the mast can be removed easily from the adapter.
On a different build I used Moses head dimensions only: https://foil-freak.com/posts/fanatic_skate_foil There, the result as a tight fit and it was hard to get the mast in and out - the difference was only 0.05mm in thickness. Most people I have talked to had to sand their foil masts down to fit into their boards :/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 01:52:45 AM by foil-freak »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 06:29:45 AM »
There are indeed official Tuttle specifications, penned by Larry Tuttle back in 1985 (water rat sailing equipment) and revised a few times as deep Tuttle, etc. but even if you take some version as official you won't find many manufacturers sticking to the specs, in fact most really can't. Even if the parts were built in steel molds (they aren't) the variation would be substantial.

Beautiful job by the way.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

WaveWashed Hatteras

• Waikiki Status
  • Perspective, use it or lose it
    • View Profile
    • My Wife's Gallery- Ocean / Beach Art
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 04:05:40 PM »
I converted an AHD Formula Diamond 95 to WWF by adding a GoFoil Tuttle box about 4 inches in front of the existing Deep Tuttle box.   I was disappointed that the GoFoil box dimensions we quite a bit smaller than the design dimensions shown in the attachment.   It was about 2mm narrower than the Tuttle adapter that came with my Slingshot foil.  It was super tight when I tried to insert either a TrueAmes windsurf fin or the Powerplate tuttle adapter.  For those it was about a 1mm difference.   
Since I didn't want to sand the anodizing off of the Slingshot aluminum tuttle head, I created a sanding block that I could glue sheets of 60 grit and used that to enlarge the interior of the GoFoil box.
Sunova Speeed 9'5"
Sunova Kanga 10'
Exocet 12'6" Downwind
C4 XXL iSup (pinhole leak at seam)
Black Project Pure Paddle
Flying Fish Carbon Paddle

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 01:35:17 PM »
WOW! Nicely done.  I am looking to buy another and momentarily dismayed at the cost.  Then I see the steps in your build and I don't feel so bad shelling out the $200.  That would take me most of the next year to build and it would still be no good!  :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal