Author Topic: Nice SanO Morning  (Read 4203 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Nice SanO Morning
« on: January 07, 2021, 04:02:10 PM »
I had a fine three hour session at San Onofre this morning. the sets were good, my geezer balance wasn't too bad, and I actually got a little closer to where I think I left off before wing foiling took over my water time.

I think my current flying Dutchman board is better as a wing foiler than a surf foiler, but it did fine. I use my Axis 1000 on a short fuselage with the 76CM carbon mast, 440 tail. I had some very long rides, carving across the faces. Several times I lost power when the waves reformed or did something weird (lots of bottom variation at Nukes) but I was able to stay with the bump and reconnect when it came up again--I've never done that before, I must be doing something right, or maybe just less wrong.

I'm still doing a lot of falling and flopping around. I feel unstable on the water. Everything gets better once I'm up on the foil. I need to go more often.

I've been trying to foil locally instead of driving half an hour to SanO, but I don't feel as confident getting plastered by shore break as I do in open water waves. I've had one really good day at Del Mar river mouth and the rest have been a struggle. People tell me other foks foil at del Mar, but I haven't seen anyone else.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Nice SanO Morning
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 05:05:43 PM »
I was there yesterday. Kinda strange swell angle made for unusual lineup points. Had some good rides and a bunch of closeouts. The lefts were the best. The big outside sets where mostly closeouts. The inside sets were better but left you to battle your way back out. Might be there tomorrow?? Supposed to tick up a bit in size.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 06:30:05 PM »
I plan to be there early.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 06:45:18 PM »
Bill you have to try the 820 440 combo,the 820 is a very underrated supfoil wing it absolutely rips just love that wing been riding it for 2-3 months now especially for us heavier riders,I got it originally for hi wind winging but was blown away by its supfoil performance,my GoFoils are just collecting dust in the garage ever since I tried 1st time thinking about getting a 860 too for bigger days and hi wind winging.I’m a 100 mi plus N of you and it’s been just pumping great start surf wise for 2021 hope the trend continues 🤞
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 08:34:37 PM »
I love the 860 for high wind wingfoiling, I haven't really considered it for surf foiling, but if the surf is bigger tomorrow I might give it a go. I had a 920 and rarely used it, but I was almost exclusively wing foiling then.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 09:08:52 PM »
Good you got there early. I couldn't, and paid the price with nothing much to ride but a bunch of weak gutless, maybe waste high mush.

As far as wings go, I had the 920, and tried surfing it twice. Can't think of a thing to say about it that the 900, 860, or even 1000 doesn't do 10x better. Just my opinion naturally. :)

While Evan's said the 980 wasn't intended for surfing (downwind and wingding designed), I know DW had fun with it in FL, so I'd be really interested in seeing how it works in SanO surf tomorrow...love to swap wings mentioned above if you're interested in trying either (or both) of those.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 04:33:57 AM »

While Evan's said the 980 wasn't intended for surfing (downwind and wingding designed), I know DW had fun with it in FL, so I'd be really interested in seeing how it works in SanO surf tomorrow...love to swap wings mentioned above if you're interested in trying either (or both) of those.

I have never SUPed the HPS-980. I SUPed the HPS-1050.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 10:22:34 AM »

I have never SUPed the HPS-980. I SUPed the HPS-1050.
Ah well hell....I stand corrected. But that just makes me more interested to hear how the 980 does...and super stoked to try the 880 when it comes out that's more intended for surfing as I'm told.  :D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 01:03:12 PM »
Without the prefix, I think people get confused about what is what.

The HPS-880, I would not call a SUP surf foil. Maybe a proner foil, but still, it’s just a smaller version of the all the other HPS wings. Jacky has winged with it.

Now the 810 is a surf foil for the black fuse. I can’t remember the prefix. BSS-810 maybe?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 01:22:29 PM »
I'm just going by what Evan had mentioned to me wrt it, and yes, maybe I misunderstood wrt it being more prone foiler friendly than for those of us on SUP foils. But yeah, the 810 looks like it'll be a fun wing also...
https://youtu.be/n0n2qgCApe8
...which I mentioned to him after seeing NY Foiler's unboxing of it a few weeks ago, and hoping he brings one of those with him for us to try when he's in town here sometime next month (I think/hope)...fingers crossed. ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 02:06:32 PM »
I went again this morning, damn it was cold. I started about 7:30, maybe later because I decided to take my footstrap off (got my foot with booties caught yesterday) and discovered one screw wasn't stainless do it took some fiddling to get it out. For some strange reason, I decided to use my 1150/390--I thought the waves looked punky. The first one I caught shot me out of the water like a scud missle--didn't go very high, poorly aimed, crash landed. I figured I could work around that but then I noticed bubbles on my deck pad. Apparently, the screw I used punched through the bottom of the NSI screw pad.

I went in, pulled off both affected pads (not easy, some coating came off with the pads) and patched both areas with aluminum tape. Handy stuff. While I was there I swapped wings. When I got out again the tide was dropping and the rideable waves were few and far between. No more bubbles though, and I got a few nice rides, including a few that went too far and resulted in some grass mowing and sudden stops. I think I was the only foiler out, not surprising, but I got a few nice rides. Then it got even punkier and the only places I could catch anything ran out of water really fast. always a little disconcerting to look down and see a rocky bottom. Especially when you know that every second you go further it's going to get worse.

I came in, farted around a while hoping for improvement, talked with talldude--always fun. Stared at the water, looked at the tide on my watch and realized it was another hour to low tide. Fussed around, tried to convince myself to stay, but I finally bailed as some foilers were going out. I hope they did well.

I probably should have stayed, or at least moved down the coast some and tried again. but I was warm and dry after my torturous beach shower--so, no.

paddlur

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 05:25:07 PM »
Good you got there early. I couldn't, and paid the price with nothing much to ride but a bunch of weak gutless, maybe waste high mush.

As far as wings go, I had the 920, and tried surfing it twice. Can't think of a thing to say about it that the 900, 860, or even 1000 doesn't do 10x better. Just my opinion naturally. :)

agree with you tried my 920 supfoiling on a small day had fun with it for sure but way to much lift even for a 225lb rider easily handled it but just too much lift supfoiling,fun on small days,but for supfoiling the 820 is vast improvement for a heavy rider.Where the 920 shines is wingfoiling in good wind though.Can’t say enough about the 820 for supfoiling such a great wing might be a personal thing for me as I tend favor mid/hi aspect over HA wings for carving it decent sized surf,however just got a 860 looking forward to trying it out supfoiling in good sized waves on deck here  supposed to get good size this week bring it👍
Naish kites-ASD surfboards fortaleza brasil,Kalama supfoil.AXIS foils

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 06:18:11 PM »
I'm not going to risk SanO on the weekend, I think every zombie will be there (no, I don't mean you Cowboy), but I'll probably go every day next week unless I find out that all the places I've tried have suddenly morphed into useful foil spots. I know why Surffoiling hasn't take over the lineup in SoCal--what you Cali guys call a reef break is Hawaiian shore break--with the exception of SanO, Sunset Cliffs, and Rincon. If the reef isn't somewhere on the horizon, then it's shorepound.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 07:27:42 PM »
My left knee swelled up soon as I left SanO today. I guess I was pushing it after skiing hard for 3 days straight last week. My shot to the ribs pain today has taken the back seat to my knee:( I'm supposed to mountain bike with my wife Sunday, but not sure if the knee can take it right now??

BTW Pono,
Those forks I was telling you about 'Trust' forks didn't get good reviews and were way... too expensive. They went under last year..
https://www.bikemag.com/gear/components/suspension/forks/first-impressions-trust-performance-178mm-shout-fork/
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 02:48:55 PM »

...I tend favor mid/hi aspect over HA wings for carving it decent sized surf, however just got a 860 looking forward to trying it out supfoiling in good sized waves on deck here  supposed to get good size this week bring it👍
You'll love the 860 in "good sized waves" (not so much on anything less than belly/waist high), with either the 460 or 400 tail, and the ultra short fuse. Not as fast as the 900, but super fun "surfy" setup. 🙌🙌

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal