Author Topic: “Nordic” stroke?  (Read 9260 times)

SoFloSupChick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
“Nordic” stroke?
« on: June 25, 2020, 05:52:45 PM »
Somehow I came across this article, and I thought it was pretty interesting: https://www.magzter.com/article/Boating-Sailing/SUP-International/Paddle-Technique-Its-Not-About-The-Hinge-Its-All-Torque

He’s proposing a different stroke technique, other than what’s commonly coached, and more like cross country double-pole skiing.

I wish the article had diagrams of some sort, because sometimes I had hard times figuring out what he’s trying to say exactly, but I think I got the general gist.

So for the last couple of days I’ve been trying it, and it’s been a pretty positive experience. I looked up a video of the skiing double pole technique, and was kind of basing it it off of that (https://youtu.be/XgWC53_kstA). So instead of “reaching” and “digging in”, I focused more on dropping the upper shoulder, and using the hip hinge movement a lot more, so it ended up feeling a lot like a kettlebell swing movement.

I haven’t timed myself or anything like that, but in terms of speed it felt pretty comparable to the other way. But my lower back and bum shoulder were SIGNIFICANTLY happier doing it this way.

I wonder if anyone else came across or tried this method, or has any thoughts?
2019 Naish Maliko 14' x 26"
2017 Starboard iWindSup 11'2 x 32"

SupSimcoe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SimcoeSup
    • Email
Re: “Nordic” stroke?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 07:42:05 PM »
My off season training is Nordic skiing and the double pole is very similar to SUP without any twisting action.

It is great cross training for those in the areas that get winters.

SUP Lake Simcoe
Clearwood VLZ 14*23 hollow wood- self-built
Starboard 2021 Sprint 14*19.75
Kenalu Mana 82
Quickblade UV 82 Carbon
SUP Reviews  http://simcoesup.blogspot.ca/

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 07:44:03 PM »
I can see it being applied, but the standard paddle angle would have to change. I not sure about clean water entry with an increased paddle angle? There's something to be gained in the un-weighting of the board. Some paddlers gained speed by bobbing or pumping their boards.
Basically it's pushing more than pulling.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 07:46:15 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 04:04:46 PM »
As a "double poler" I can see the connection. I've been trying to emulate the pole plant with the paddle; however, on a paddle board you are not 'clipped in' like skis so that sense of being anchored while transferring weight is difficult on SUP.  I keep telling myself 'weight transfer' hoping something will stick.
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 07:34:45 PM »
Check out analysis of Connor Baxter's stroke. Plant the paddle and pull forward. There are some great vids out there.
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 08:26:36 AM »
Have you all watch this recent video?

I don't like it.  I can usually go to a paddle board race (in the East Coast of the US) and either win or come in top 3 on a 12 foot plastic windsurfer.  Mostly because people don't have good paddle stroke techniques.  This is going to make them faster.

I still think this video of Kai Lenny in Fiji was the most impressive display of paddling speed and efficiency EVER! 

I call this "Leave No Trace."  His board doesn't bob or weave and his paddle leaves (almost) no bubble trail.  Pure speed and grace.

High Resolution version here:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1174595722624477 

Youtube below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpCZO6BV2WM
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 08:35:15 AM by Beasho »

singingdog

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 05:27:50 AM »
Great video. I come at it from the opposite end, as a 6 day/week nordic skier using SUP as an offseason training tool. Since I started paddling flatwater SUP, I hit the start of Nordic season in waaaay better shape for double poling. Interesting to see it being used the other direction.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 12:45:56 PM »
I still think this video of Kai Lenny in Fiji was the most impressive display of paddling speed and efficiency EVER! 

I call this "Leave No Trace."  His board doesn't bob or weave and his paddle leaves (almost) no bubble trail.  Pure speed and grace.
Also interesting, is that Kai has a longer paddle stroke that all of the others in the vid. If you look closely, Kai actually takes his paddle stroke past his feet, compared to the others who are doing the much talked about, "the power stroke ends at your feet" method. This ever so slight difference in paddle stroke length, is giving him just that added little difference in distance traveled per stroke.

I didn't count them, but I bet all those paddlers were very similar in stroke cadence, and that extra added power stroke length that Kai was employing compared to the others was what made up a big part of him making up an other wise insurmountable rally to the win.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal