Author Topic: Wind wing sizes - let’s hear what you ride for what  (Read 9634 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Wind wing sizes - let’s hear what you ride for what
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 02:29:15 AM »
Low wing on the surface doesn't work well with big wings because they are always dragging/catching so you end up holding them high where they are inefficient and spilling a lot of air.  That ends up in a lot of pumping which doesn't really translate to speed or flying.

I've found this too and not really come to a good technique to resolve the problem. I'm not sure if the loose canopy of the 6SP is helping and whether a tighter one is better for on water pumping. I'm interested to see how the new Superpowers have been developed. Maybe I should just try the 5m more in light winds but then sometimes even with the 6 I'm struggling for power once up and foiling.

Yes.  I know that my 5.0 was a mainstay and possibly my most used wing early in my last season.  Once this takeoff clicked, the 4.2 filled that spot.  When there is pushy swell the low angle, no pump takeoff gets even easier.  It usually takes 3-4 good (wing) pops in flat water and light wind to make it happen.  I see a lot of guys hanging off of 6 and 7 meter wings and really fighting to get going.  The wings just won't allow an efficient surface position so the extra wing size is effectively lost due to angle.  It is a downbound spiral. I am not moving > I need a bigger wing > more angle again > less efficiency again > frustration.

The other major factor is boards.  I see guys on super rockered boards that are putting up tugboat wakes.  To combat this they are carrying monster wings.  Again, downbound spiral. 

Wind makes everything work and covers up a lot of problems but when it gets flukey or really light this other stuff matters a lot.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 08:41:36 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 10:42:46 AM »
I'm headed more or less the same way (toward smaller wings) in the light wind of SoCal. the 7 Airush is a PITA, though it's got loads of grunt. The 6M F-one is reasonably useful but clumsy, I find myself riding it with the wing overhead a lot of the time. If I can get enough push from the gusts to get up the 5M is much easier to maintain speed and control.

I'm still pumping off the surface though that's with the 1150. I don't with the 1000.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 12:40:22 PM »
I can’t figure out why the 6m Echo is not your go to wind wing ponobill. Of all the Echos, the 6m was the best one. Certainly better than the 6m Swing.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 03:57:55 PM »
If it looks really windy, I use the f-one 4m. If it looks windy but not really windy, I use the 5m f-one. If it doesn't look that windy, I do something else.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2021, 05:14:14 PM »
Haha Bigmtn, that was my last session. It looked windy but was not.

Thanks for the guys who listed your winds overlapping. That helps. If a 5m goes 15-25 and a 4 goes 20-30 I can see how you could plan for the lulls and gusts. I was sort of struggling in my mind to see how far below each range you could cheat when people said one size from 10-20 and then another from 20-30.

Can you assume +/- 5 knots for all these in a pinch?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2021, 05:51:36 AM »
I can’t figure out why the 6m Echo is not your go to wind wing ponobill. Of all the Echos, the 6m was the best one. Certainly better than the 6m Swing.

I'm riding what I have. I'll wait for the spring to assess who has made progress.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2021, 01:47:54 AM »
25-30 is the 3M
20-25 is the 4m
15-20 is the 5m
10-15 is the 6m

Sort of about the same with Echo’s. 76kg, 6’.  5 and 4 get the most use

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal