Author Topic: First Sesh  (Read 2061 times)

To bad

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
First Sesh
« on: December 30, 2020, 07:44:33 PM »
First Sesh
Not water but Ice. Stoked for a great sesh.
6.4 Slingwing v2 on tele’s on frozen lake. Wind 15 to 20mph. cloudy but clear. Ice with hard packed snow on it.
First part was awkward. Then I went for it.
I was all over the lake. I got the hang of the wing quick. Probably my 15+ windsurf years helped
Really glad I planned a harness set up. I rode harnessed the whole time. I did come out occasionally, on purpose and felt the difference, but overall I want to ride harnessed.
Good trick I read that helped is when tip starts to touch roll up from surface. Once I did that all was good. If you let tip go in surface and don’t roll out it will catch..

Now I am looking to improve harness line setup. I was using a old Slingshot depower line. I think it is spectra? I want to make a firm rigid line that will hold its shape. I have a few ideas and will update when closer.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: First Sesh
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 08:32:44 PM »
6.4 slingwing has terrible harness connections.  Let us know what you figure out. 

Nothing like 50 degree water white knuckling trying not to fall in and getting smacked in the teeth by the flopping harness line. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 10:08:30 PM »
Duotone harness lines--the ones that are adjustable on both sides. DW turned us on to those--perfectamundo.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 12:19:44 PM »
TB.. What was underfoot?

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 06:07:51 PM »
Duotone harness lines--the ones that are adjustable on both sides. DW turned us on to those--perfectamundo.

The Duotones would be nice.  The challenge with the slingshot is the little connectors are so far apart.  The harness line, even though I found an old adjustable one, is so long it keeps slapping me in the face.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 06:48:53 AM »
Good excuse to add a fake boom. Attaching stiff lines to floppy connectors makes for some slaps in the kisser no matter how they are situated. A fake boom solves that and will let you transition easier and one-hand the wing upwind or straight downwind like a spinnaker. I did that a few days ago at Mission Bay--spinnaker-ed back to the beach after the wind dropped. A fellow winger watching from the shore came up and asked me how I did that. He'd had to paddle to shore and do a long walk of shame. With a boom it's easy, with handles it would kill my shoulders.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

To bad

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 09:00:48 AM »
I have been experimenting with different setups. First I made something adjustable with lark loops made out of a old depower kite bar.(I think it is 5mm Spectra)  It worked well. I had to adjust way down the day of first sesh.
Now I am using the same depower line. But now I am just using a simple over and under through the larks knot on strut. Basically a bowline.
I am using 38" length from attach point to point.
I saw what Dwight used but I don't want the attachment point on handles. I would rather make a clean point and attach where SS made points. My winter gloves are bulky and I think it would be hard to get hand in handle and harness connection.
I did not find a problem with flapping around hitting me. I see where it could happen.

If any thing I want to put a piece of tubing on it to keep the line formed and rigid. https://chinooksailing.com/collections/harness-lines/products/race-harness-line-replacement-tubes-set-of-2
Does anyone know the best rope to use? Spectra, Dyneema, Robline? What diameter? 4mm or 5mm?

I am going tomorrow to same spot and will try again. If I like length I will maybe try and get new rope

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal