Author Topic: When to switch stance, before , after or during gybe?  (Read 8011 times)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: When to switch stance, before , after or during gybe?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2020, 01:01:27 PM »
Thanks for the insightful and helpful suggestions and instructional videos guys..really good stuff.

Last week the winds were nuking so gybes were a little intimidating and the crashes high speed.

Today the winds were lighter and I was able to complete a few smooth gybes completely on foil initiating on my strong side (goofy foot ) and finishing toe side/backside.  Felt great however short lived as each time I had a nice splash down and then quickly switched stance and got back up on foil.  I must be like a bull in a China shop when it comes to moving my feet on the deck on foil..the smallest movement has BIG results most of which are not good. Still I think I broke through today and can see the light of  riding out of a gybe back side...
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

winddoctor

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2020, 07:21:55 PM »
Long time proficient windsurfer and reasonable strapless surfboard kiter here and am nearing the 20 session mark winging. The flying foot switch has been by far the trickiest skill to get for me and has been humbling! I know it'll come but I've taken a couple of falls on the foil that make me too tentative when switching feet while flying. Looking forward to getting past this part of the learning curve! I'm comfortable surfing the swell with the wing flagged out even on my weak side, but messing up the foot switch in transition feels so kooky. My windsurfing reflexes stepping in at inopportune times seem a big part of my failing. Great reading the tips offered here.
6'5" 200 pounds. Armstrong HA1125, HA925, HA725, HS1850, HS1250 Foils. Armstrong 5'11" FG, Quatro WingDrifter 72L, KT 3m, 4m, 5m Armstrong V2 A-Wing 2.5

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2020, 07:36:02 PM »
Agreed, thx guys.

Caribe, I’m right where you are. When I’m not too “hot” I can jibe to toe side but can’t get the wing and my body to work yet.

And yeah, fast falls on the wing ding are hairy-er than I expected.

Wingfoil1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2020, 08:15:46 PM »
....... I couldn't consider swapping feet before gybing when I was learning as it involves a foot swap to my much weaker toe side stance. ..........

IMO one should never ride toeside with weak foot forward.  My advice to op was to switch feet before the gybe is if you are riding with your weak foot forward......switch feet first so that you are now strong foot forward (toeside), then gybe.

What he said!

Just our of interest, are you an ex kiter?

I did kite for about 10 years which is why I find toeside pretty easy. Having said that most of my winging buddies never kited and still gybe the way Phils described above

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2020, 10:10:56 PM »
I can switch back and forth while just sailing along, but when I jibe I get all fucked up and land. No idea why. I see guys that can go forever depowered, playing with the wing,  but I come down in five seconds. Too fat??
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2020, 10:50:57 PM »
I can switch back and forth while just sailing along, but when I jibe I get all fucked up and land. No idea why. I see guys that can go forever depowered, playing with the wing,  but I come down in five seconds. Too fat??

Are you crashing down, which would be a foil control issue or falling from the sky, which would be a too slow speed / wing power issue?

Edit - one tip that helped me when I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong in a transition is to focus on looking where I'm going rather than on what I'm doing, for a while. That helps get the board tracking correctly and acts as a starting point for figuring out what else needs to change to get things right.

If you're not steering correctly then chances are you're not giving yourself the chance to make the rest of the transition as easy as possible.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 11:08:26 PM by Solent Foiler »
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2020, 05:48:15 AM »

Are you crashing down, which would be a foil control issue or falling from the sky, which would be a too slow speed / wing power issue?

Edit - one tip that helped me when I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong in a transition is to focus on looking where I'm going rather than on what I'm doing, for a while. That helps get the board tracking correctly and acts as a starting point for figuring out what else needs to change to get things right.

If you're not steering correctly then chances are you're not giving yourself the chance to make the rest of the transition as easy as possible.

Good point...one thing I started doing is gybing around something ..a buoy, pole, moored boat . I find when I gybe around something i have a reference point and I am more successful . When gybing in open ocean, I lose my point of reference and usually don’t complete the gybe as easily.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2020, 06:28:57 AM »
I shouldn't have typed "crashing", I just mean I come down in mid jibe.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2021, 07:06:34 PM »
Pono- You're definitely not too fat. I probably weigh 245-250 right now and have zero issues foiling through jibes on the 1150, even with a hooded 5/4 suit/gloves/booties. If I'm foiling I'm jibing on the 1150. There must something else going on? Have someone take some video!! My goal is to be able to switch my feet both before and after the jibe on both tacks.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2021, 08:40:39 PM »
Hooray, I figured out how to make my gybes up on foil...it’s all about how high out of the water you are riding.  Because I was afraid of crashing, I would ride low to the water, but that’s exactly why I’d come off foil during my gybe.  Staying high on the foil gives you much more time to make the turn before coming down and pumping helps a lot too. Something so simple but makes such a big difference , I am making most of my gybes now and even managing riding backside before switching stance.. it’s weird but it’s like it clicked all of a sudden, but the key was staying high on the foil!!
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2021, 03:18:58 AM »
Hooray, I figured out how to make my gybes up on foil...it’s all about how high out of the water you are riding.  Because I was afraid of crashing, I would ride low to the water, but that’s exactly why I’d come off foil during my gybe.  Staying high on the foil gives you much more time to make the turn before coming down and pumping helps a lot too. Something so simple but makes such a big difference , I am making most of my gybes now and even managing riding backside before switching stance.. it’s weird but it’s like it clicked all of a sudden, but the key was staying high on the foil!!

Congrats Carib!  What an accomplishment. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal