Author Topic: How to fix the scratches on the foil  (Read 6362 times)

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
How to fix the scratches on the foil
« on: January 11, 2021, 01:00:04 PM »
I love to keep my foils always like new, usually I pay a professionist to the the job, I never thought about the technique to use to fix the scartches, but I found this on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/Fs1B8Lzz7E4

This guy is using either putty with black pigmented powder and hardener or bi component epoxy.
Is that tutorial correct?
Do you guys follow other procedures?
Thanks!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How to fix the scratches on the foil
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 01:31:33 PM »
Anything but really deep gouges can be visually eliminated with light sanding and spraying with matte clear rattle-can spray.

Beat to shit

Sanded

All better. No filler, no body putty, no epoxy, no rubbing compound. All three wings were equally trashed, I did them all in well less than an hour. anyone who knows me realizes I'd never spend more time than that making something pretty.

A second coat of gloss on top of the matte would make them all shiny and new-looking. I didn't bother.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 01:43:36 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 01:34:42 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsN-2T7zMLM

Looks right to me. I don't fix my wings really. Scratches don't matter.

AH Pono beat me again. My broken arm is slowing me down.

norcom

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 07:25:08 PM »
Anything but really deep gouges can be visually eliminated with light sanding and spraying with matte clear rattle-can spray.

All better. No filler, no body putty, no epoxy, no rubbing compound. All three wings were equally trashed, I did them all in well less than an hour. anyone who knows me realizes I'd never spend more time than that making something pretty.

A second coat of gloss on top of the matte would make them all shiny and new-looking. I didn't bother.

I keep chipping the GoFoil paint on the tips of the front/tail wings. I used to try and cover it with epoxy but have gotten lazy and just rattle them now. I’ve tried a couple of types or rattle paint; epoxy, metal and something else I think. It seems strong but then starts to chip away. Thoughts on why it’s not sticking? I’ve tried to lightly sand the areas so the paint sticks but it doesn’t seem to make much difference unless I do epoxy.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 07:43:30 PM »
That goFoil paint is really tough stuff, but it's hard to get anything to stick to it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 01:08:01 AM »
Bill, what grit sandpaper?  Do you use just one or a series?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 06:52:39 AM »
120 then 220

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal