Author Topic: A better boom  (Read 4158 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
A better boom
« on: December 29, 2020, 11:02:39 AM »
Mark sent me this picture, undoubtedly to tease me about my fake boom (buggah!). As long as I don't care about packability and easy movability to other wings it's obviously exactly what I want. And of course, he's not going to make these for sale. So I plan to duplicate this for myself to replace the myriad of handles on my 7M Airush wing--it doesn't pack small anyway. And I have a half of a Chinook boom that I inexplicably kept after breaking it jumping a few zillion years ago.

I got a few more pictures from him and some rudimentary instructions and posted them on the Flying Dutchman site I built for him in trade for a new board (coming soon, eventually. He's buried and would rather spend time on the water than work). In the unlikely event you want to take this project on, there's probably enough clues to how he did it to get you started.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A better boom
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 06:49:12 AM »
Now this has me intrigued!  I'm curious as to  how the ends are attached to the boom and leading edge however.  Almost looks glued on but I seriously doubt that.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 08:00:27 AM »
It would be heavy. Windsurf booms are thick walled and heavy compared to SUP paddle shafts.

winged surfer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 08:07:52 AM »
I did a custom carbon boom cutting a windsurf race carbon boom (in order to make it adjustable) and i used the plastic ends of the original duotone boom.
I wanted at the beginning the make custom carbon ends but it was too comolicate and too expensive.
The weight is almost the same of the original boom but the wing benefits in a very noticeable way. More rigid and more responsive.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 09:56:31 AM »
It would be heavy. Windsurf booms are thick walled and heavy compared to SUP paddle shafts.

My contention exactly, though Mark says "not so much". He said the plastic moldings make up a lot of the weight of the booms, and his boom is a lot lighter than the Duotone. Of course, that's fairly easy since the duotone boom is aluminum with heavy plastic ends and weighs nearly two pounds in the short 2 to 5M version. I don't know what the 6 to 7M version weighs. The version I made for the 5M duotone using a Ke Nalu paddle shaft and a Hot Rod style skeleton plastic ends weighed 400 grams--about 14 ounces. I bet his is heavier than that, but maybe not a lot.   

According to Chinook, their 200-260CM carbon boom weighs 7 pounds. I suspect the boom ends make up at least three pounds of that (probably more), so 4 pounds for just the sides. One side is two pounds, so the same as a Duotone boom, and probably a bit less. I'd simplify it, ditching the adjustability (and the clamp) and replace the thick inner slider that has to be strong with holes or grip slots in it with a thinner carbon shaft glued in place. The 7M Airush I'd like to do this for has a super long strut, so I need more extension anyway. Maybe I'll settle for just using the first section and terminate somewhere in the middle of the strut, about where the last handle is. Mark's example is a 3.5. I'll keep using my fake boom for the little wings.

SUPeter, It's screwed to plates inserted between the fabric and the bladder. Here's the link to the blog post which shows the attachments: https://oneflyingdutchman.com/yes-we-want-this-boom-and-no-we-cant-have-it/ His back plate looks shorter than I would like to see. I think I'd wrap a little wider and extend almost to the end of the strut. The front plate looks good and is in an area that's well reinforced on most wings. Lots of opportunities to pinch the bladder with this thing, I'd want to test it close to shore for quite a while. though now that I think about it, I bet you could at least keep slogging if not flying with the strut deflated. Maybe it will be worthwhile to isolate the strut from the leading edge. Fortunately, my planned target--the Airush 7M--has a pinch valve that can isolate the strut, and that could be added to any connecting hose.

I see enough detail about how he did it that I think I can duplicate it when I get back to my shop.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 10:26:40 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 03:23:58 PM »
Similar to the Duotone you could add length to the tail of the boom, in the form of weightless carbon, and then have a quick synch or Velcro lock on the boom.  The further out the LESS leverage on the actual connector and the more minimal it could be.

Spend the effort on the head to prevent the flop.  Again like the Duotone but you could even dump the plastic tail in favor of maybe a champagne cork to seal the tube.  And then some small stop on the outside of the carbon tube that would prevent the outhaul from slipping. 

My Slingshot 6.4M V2 suffers from extreme distance between the handles.  The boom on the Duotone makes jibing AND NOT FALLING almost (more) effortless. 

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 10:56:39 AM »
Similar to the Duotone you could add length to the tail of the boom, in the form of weightless carbon, and then have a quick synch or Velcro lock on the boom.  The further out the LESS leverage on the actual connector and the more minimal it could be.

Spend the effort on the head to prevent the flop.  Again like the Duotone but you could even dump the plastic tail in favor of maybe a champagne cork to seal the tube.  And then some small stop on the outside of the carbon tube that would prevent the outhaul from slipping. 

My Slingshot 6.4M V2 suffers from extreme distance between the handles.  The boom on the Duotone makes jibing AND NOT FALLING almost (more) effortless.

I'm getting a Slingshot V2 5.4, and I'm thinking about installing something similar to a Armstrong powerlink bar. Any experiences?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 06:31:39 PM »
My fake boom resembles the powerbar, though it spans across all the handle on the f-ones I use. I haven't tried the powerbar, it looks a little kludgey, but might work well.

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 09:03:35 AM »
My fake boom resembles the powerbar, though it spans across all the handle on the f-ones I use. I haven't tried the powerbar, it looks a little kludgey, but might work well.

Any pictures?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 03:25:26 PM »
No, or probably yes somewhere. But here's a video.
https://youtu.be/LdgHfNHLhQU

I keep saying "boom" when I mean paddle shaft. Idiot.

that's a piece of Ke Nalu paddle shaft which has to be the handiest piece of kit around. I used to be involved with the company, as in--I started it as an online magazine and then transitioned to making paddles with Lane Mead. I sold it to Lane but I still had a fair number of shafts from the various tests we did (we did a lot of testing, the "powered by physics" tagline is not marketing bullshit). When I run out I'm going to have to start buying them. They're tapered so you can use them to make Duotone booms as if they were made for that purpose, I can choose which end to use so I can tune the size, they're strong as hell, and the flex is graduated from shaft to shaft. I've used cutoffs and broken bits for all kinds of projects. And I still prefer the Ke Nalu paddles over anything else I've tried.

Weirdly useful.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 03:35:28 PM by PonoBill »

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 11:46:12 PM »
Thanks! that is very usefull.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal