Author Topic: Tiger shark etiquette  (Read 5109 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Tiger shark etiquette
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2021, 06:55:55 AM »
If someone tries to point out a shark to you and you can't see it, re-adjust your expectations to see something bigger. Even though people seem to have an idea that sharks are big they still look for something "fish-sized". Even a relatively small five-foot blacktip looks bigger than people seem to expect. I pointed out one to a friend once who couldn't see it at first. When he did, he almost jumped out of his skin. "It looked like the whole bottom moved!" It's just a matter of seeing what's there instead of what you're looking for. To me that looked like a little shark, to him it was too big to see.

Same thing happens looking for deer or elk on a hillside. I've looked for ten minutes and not seen one, but once I do I can see the other twenty that were there all along. Most recently it was bighorn sheep on the rocky cliff behind a house we rented near Palm Desert. Diane was exasperatedly trying to point them out to me and all I saw were rocks. Then I finally saw one, realized what size I was looking for and fifty of them popped into view.

Even though with a long dive career I've seen a lot of sharks I still miss some until they get close or do something obvious. I had no problem seeing a school of hammerheads above me a few years ago though. I had no idea that Hammerheads schooled until I had to come up through one on a dive at the back side of Molokini. I didn't take this picture--these are scalloped hammerheads off Cocos, the ones I've seen in Hawaii don't have scallops, but this is what it looked like except there was more variation in size:

« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 07:54:35 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Tiger shark etiquette
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 12:57:19 PM »
yeah Pono, seems like mushroom hunting to me. you need eyes to see em sometimes unless (as happened to me in September) one launches mid air next to you

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal