Author Topic: Slingwing V2 size options  (Read 4380 times)

To bad

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Slingwing V2 size options
« on: December 27, 2020, 12:10:01 PM »
Hello all,
New to winging. Windsurfed for 20 years. Kited for 15years. Kite foiled for 5 years. I am fairly advanced. Strapless Kanaha Shapes 37" with 92cm Moses 683s and 425 stab. I ride SS ghost 4,6,8,10. I ride inland Utah lakes mostly. I am 190lbs at 6'. We get thermal and frontal winds March to October. I also ride the Gorge a few weeks or month a year. Baja when I can get down.

I decided I wanted to wing foil and started buying gear in October (to late to ride here now as it is cold). I have a few friends that helped me pick a quiver. Now I am stuck at home with gear and only one place to drive to try (Lake Mojave). I have kited there and it is an advance place. I have heard most are on small wings 2.2 to 3m.
I bought 6' 120l Moon Buddy, Moses W1100, I already had 82cm mast and 450 rear stab with 710 fuse. I bought 6.4 and 4.4 Slingwing V2.
Gear has long lead times so I preordered the new Moses W950 front wing to be my smaller front wing for winging.
Should I get a smaller Slingwing? 3.2?

I was going to wait until I tried it first to buy anymore gear but seems like I am all in after 30 years of wind riding. Not to mention I think the wing will open up more launches and wind directions that I currently cannot ride. So I want to make it work to have another tool in the arsenal.
Anyways have been stalking reading forum and figured I would introduce myself and ask a question.
Thanks
Todd

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Slingwing V2 size options
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 02:35:05 PM »
I would, especially if you are planning on winging at the Gorge.  There will be days there when you are happy to have a small wing. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 08:03:18 PM »
Welcome man. I hate seeing a kiter get into winging. You guys progress so fast it makes the rest of us look bad. lol

But seriously, welcome and I’ve yet to meet anyone who doesn’t dig it for the reasons you mentioned. You can do it anywhere.

To bad

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 04:03:34 PM »
Thanks nice to meet all of you.
Pulled trigger on 3.2 (what the hell only money)
Since I am bored silly. What is the next size board I would want to start eyeballing?
I have a Ride Engine 6' 120l
Would I am for a board 80l to 95l?

I am 90kg (195lbs). Is 80 liters to get back home if wind dies?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 09:55:53 PM »
At 90kg a 90l board will have your toes wet. There's no question you'll progress quickly, but crawling around on a board with a one-inch variation in the sweet spot isn't fun. I'd wait a bit and ride what you have. It won't really hold you back. You'll know when it's time to move on, and I expect there will be lots of gear available this spring.

I'm a bit heavier (97kg, and more like 105 in the wet suits I've been wearing lately) but my favorite sail is a 3.5 in hefty wind--though I don't get to use it often, even in the gorge. Anything in the 3 meter size has a lot of range. 40 gusting to 50 is magic with wings, especially for guys that weigh more than 80kg. I should probably get a 2.8. I popped my 3.5 canopy open on a whacky Gorge day that would have been a lot saner with a 2.8. After the canopy tore the wing was pretty well behaved, which led me to think a pair of zippers might be cool.

I think my friend Chris Anderson might still be at Lake Mojave. Last I heard he was there giving folks freebie lessons. I can't think of a faster way to progress than to get a few pointers from Chris.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 10:08:51 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 02:39:17 AM »
Thanks nice to meet all of you.
Pulled trigger on 3.2 (what the hell only money)
Since I am bored silly. What is the next size board I would want to start eyeballing?
I have a Ride Engine 6' 120l
Would I am for a board 80l to 95l?

I am 90kg (195lbs). Is 80 liters to get back home if wind dies?
I think a -10 L board makes things pretty awkward without that much of a performance benefit compared to a +5 to +15 board which many experienced wingers settle on.  If you want to go smaller than that at some point, consider a full sinker (which will be less than -10 to allow it to sink easily).

To bad

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 07:31:22 AM »
Pono Bill Thanks. I recognize you from Gorge. You make a good point about weight after wet suit, Taqueria, Double Mountain, and drinking...
Sounds like my 120L will be good for a while. It also seems for me a 105L board would be a better next step if I make one.
Phils thanks. I think you are in same agreement +5 to 15 on top of my 90kg puts me in the 105L range.

I wish I would have gone to Mojave this week, but its cranking (25 to 35mph). I have never winged and did not know and got scared off only having a 4.4. My 3.2 will be here Monday and I may reload and go down. 17 hour round trip to watch to much wind...

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 08:57:13 AM »
I'm 90kg and stepped from 7'6 140L Axis (used for a ~3 months) to 6'6 130L 'CRUZ' off-brand China-made 'production' board (used for 6 months) to 5'6 105L Quatro Wingdrifter Pro (used 2 month now).

The 105L was a shock to my system for 5-10 minutes but I have gotten it figured out and like the move. I sink the nose sometimes when slogging prior to getting on foil... but I guess that is par for the course. I had to paddle it for 15 minutes the other day at it was as easy as expected. And Slingwing v2 5.4 is a very nice wing (good power, predictable, drifts well for riding swell, lots and lots of handles).
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 10:18:24 AM »
I wish I would have gone to Mojave this week, but its cranking (25 to 35mph). I have never winged and did not know and got scared off only having a 4.4. My 3.2 will be here Monday and I may reload and go down. 17 hour round trip to watch to much wind...

25 to 35mph is right in the sweet spot for a 4.4 and you'll have an easier time learning with more wind rather than less. I'm sure that conflicts with your kite experience, and some other folks might say I'm nuts, but that's the kind of wind we learned in with only a 3M (worthless unless you're skinny at 20mph, great at 30+) and a 4M which was my goto until I finally got some bigger wings. If it's 25 to 35 I'm still on a 4.2.

With your experience and a board that will float you you'll be rocking in no time.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 10:22:25 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pafoil

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 09:51:13 AM »

25 to 35mph is right in the sweet spot for a 4.4 and you'll have an easier time learning with more wind rather than less. I'm sure that conflicts with your kite experience, and some other folks might say I'm nuts, but that's the kind of wind we learned in with only a 3M (worthless unless you're skinny at 20mph, great at 30+) and a 4M which was my goto until I finally got some bigger wings. If it's 25 to 35 I'm still on a 4.2.

With your experience and a board that will float you you'll be rocking in no time.

In your experience, what is the real windrange of the 5.4 and 4 m?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 06:11:09 AM »
I'm the wrong guy to ask, I'm always getting it wrong even though I have a windmeter and a pro subscription to iWindsurf, because what's happening on the beach and wherever the wind gauges are located is not what's happening in the water.

At my weight (215) I prefer to be overpowered, so I think a 4.2M is good from 20-35 and 5.0 is good from 15-30. Over 30 I start pumping the 3.5. The upper range depends on what you're willing to put up with and what direction you're going to go. For upwind without a harness, a big wing is really tiring. Downwind can be pretty whacky, but if you're comfortable carrying a lot of speed you can handle much more wind.

Doing upwind/downwind runs in the gorge you have to get comfortable being grossly overpowered upwind and underpowered downwind, hauling ass in the swells. I'll use a 5.0 in 25-30mph to go upwind with the harness because I know when I go downwind and I'm doing maybe 12 mph groundspeed the apparent wind is more like 18mph. Of course, upwind the apparent wind is more like 40mph.

It all goes to shit in the downwind jibes, when you transition from straight downwind with the ground speed subtracted from the wind speed, to a broad reach, where you get going very fast and pick up a little apparent wind. 

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 01:56:33 PM »
Hey: PB. Just doing a little lurking. Happy new year. Sorry for the hijack. Carry on with the endless foiling discussions, but I remember when you were just another one of us downwind paddlers on a 17' SUP ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 02:07:12 PM »
I still am, you hoser. You're the one who disappeared to Bend.

Happy New Year. Go ski. You might note that some of the wingding posts are about skiing.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2021, 07:32:45 PM »
Then again, California is fucking nuts. We're going to wind up with half a million people dead and the park and beach here in La Jolla shores looks like the Jersey Shores in August, except the people are a hell of a lot prettier. Packed out, the lineup has everyone who ever surfed in their life in one spot. Like a giant trash raft made of surfboards. People walking around in giant intersecting packs with no masks. Crazy fuckahs.

Of course, I've found the secret to an uncrowded lineup--as always. Go where there isn't convenient parking. the craziest thing is the spots everyone is jammed into are the shitty spots.

A few days ago I went to Torrey Pines beach and found a few zillion people lined up a short walk from the parking lot--from the river mouth to about a hundred yards north. I don't get it, these are fit people. They could run further than I could walk. But they're like people going to the gym, blocking the parking lane so they can get the next spot close to the door.

I wanted to foil, so I couldn't be around actual humans. I walked to the north end of the bach and paddled a few hundred yards further north and found a perfect outside foil wave--nobody around. Me and the wave. I surfed until I couldn't move. Carrying my board back to the car was torture. I honestly considered leaving it. But holy shit. Walk away from the herd and it's really good.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2021, 09:49:01 PM »
Guys, lets make this a thread. Don’t hide this in this thread and leave it at Pono sized guys lol.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal