Author Topic: Staying in Dana Point next week  (Read 1681 times)

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Staying in Dana Point next week
« on: December 27, 2020, 12:04:25 AM »
Hoping to foil every morning if anyone wants to ride. I’ll be looking to get in the water at first light to make it home around when the kids wake up....   Is Doheny a good option?  How early is the lineup to get into SanO weekdays next week? Feel free to PM me

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Staying in Dana Point next week
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 08:07:07 AM »
PM sent. :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 09:07:57 AM »
I'm sure whatever SanoSlatch sent you is better info than I have since I basically just listened to him, but my experiences over the last two months might be useful.

IMHO Doheny is almost useless for foiling. At least for the current swell directions. I don't remember Doheny being so flat when I used to come down for the BOP, but all this winter it's been pretty dinky when other places had usable surf. If you're holding a paddle you're confined to south of the hammer, which also seems to be about the only foilable spot. I had one decent day there, and three pointless ones where I never got a ride longer than 50 feet. It probably didn't help that I was there at higher tides when the outside waves poop out to the point my weenie pumping won't keep me in the wave and then reform as the water gets shallow again.

SanO has been the best spot for foiling of all the places I've tried. the river mouth in Del Mar is a close second, but it's a bitch to get out with a foil if the swell is good. SanO can be a little bit of a challenge, I've floundered around in the shore break and about crippled myself walking out over the cobble, but there are plenty of channels to sneak out through. Good long rides, not too crowded though I find myself bailing out of waves a lot to avoid dropping in. But I can always move further south and find my own wave.

Being spoiled by Maui for surf foiling and the Gorge for wing foiling has not improved my attitude. Most spots are not really all that foilable, which is why foiling is still a bit exotic here. A reef a half-mile out with a slightly deeper lagoon beats the shit out of a sandbar fifty yards off the beach. And I hope you're bringing some serious rubber. I've frozen my ass off trying to use my lighter suit.

If you have an eBike or even a regular bike with a board rack you can ignore the line and ride right past. Takes a bit of planning, but there's plenty of parking at Trails further south. Just be sure to lock your stuff up or better yet, only bring what you need. Someone went shopping in my truck bed and relieved me of a few things. Not that big a deal. If they'd broken my window and gone after everything it would have been a serious loss, but they didn't. I have an eBike that's ideal for that purpose--I can ride it in the salt without caring. If it rusts to shit I just get a new $200 Mongoose and bolt the expensive bits on. But I haven't been using it since my truck got rummaged. Fortunately, the line hasn't been a huge problem on week days since the surf hasn't been wonderful and it's cold.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 09:22:38 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 04:39:55 PM »
Thanks guys - will be hitting up SanO all week, crowds permitting.  Maybe I’ll see you guys around

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal