Author Topic: HOw in the WORLD?  (Read 3687 times)

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
HOw in the WORLD?
« on: December 27, 2020, 12:23:14 PM »
Yesterday Sup surfing 3-5 foot waves. Had a fall, completely unremarkable. felt nothing. no other boards around. No reef. when i looked at my fins this is what i saw!
Fin itself is unharmed.
Not sure how i did that? if i landed on it, i should have felt it and been black and blue.

So , should i try remove the whole box to dry it out before taking it in for pro repair or other drying tips here? Much appreciated!

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: HOw in the WORLD?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 12:46:59 PM »
How hard do you bottom turn :)

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 02:55:13 PM »
in my dreams!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 07:51:57 PM »
You could have maybe hit it from the side but my money is on your paddle hitting it.

That sucks though. Not the easiest repair.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 08:06:55 PM »
Easy to do, and you wouldn't necessarily feel it. Thruster fin boxes are held in with about a playing card thickness of fiberglass and good thoughts. You can break them out by hitting a fin with the heel of your hand as "enforcers" have demonstrated to interlopers on many occasions.

That repair is a job for a pro, and make sure whoever you use has a jig for setting that box or it will probably be done by eye. Not good enough. Don't do anything to the board before you bring it to the shop.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 08:28:28 PM »
I am not a Futures fan because the box constrains template choices.  But if properly installed, neither Futures nor FCS should fail like that.  I would let the board manufacturer know. 

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 10:31:39 PM »
Easy to do, and you wouldn't necessarily feel it. Thruster fin boxes are held in with about a playing card thickness of fiberglass and good thoughts. You can break them out by hitting a fin with the heel of your hand as "enforcers" have demonstrated to interlopers on many occasions.

That repair is a job for a pro, and make sure whoever you use has a jig for setting that box or it will probably be done by eye. Not good enough. Don't do anything to the board before you bring it to the shop.

Thanks for the advice. What does a jig like that look like?

thoughts on whether i should jut bring it in or dry it a home first?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 07:49:22 AM »
Just bring it in but express your concerns when you drop it off. Just ask if they have the jig to install futures fins. It not super expensive. Most shops that do modifications r build boards should have one. But if they tell you it’s not necessary consider looking elsewhere. I’ve repaired exactly the same damage on a board I lent a friend and didn’t have the jig.  It might be in my head, but it was never the same. Jimmy Lewis told me there’s no way to get it right by eye.  F course he has every shaping tool and jig known iin his shop
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 10:24:13 AM »
Thanks Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal