Author Topic: KT Drifter F  (Read 8433 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: KT Drifter F
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2020, 04:02:58 AM »

My buddy built 2 identical prone boards to test bottom shapes. The bigger chine paddled faster and handled late takeoffs in whitewash better.

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2020, 09:06:25 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback. So 2 solid votes for wide chines.  Intuitively, I think it makes sense.  No one seems to offer boards like this though.  :(
I’m not opposed to ordering a board but I do think it might be more risky when you’re not really sure what you need?

A few months ago, I changed foils. Went from Armstrong 1600 to Axis 910. On my standup, I found it to be noticeably harder to balance. On the prone, it seems harder to paddle.  Before switching, I wouldn’t have thought it would make much difference. 

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2020, 10:12:52 AM »

My buddy built 2 identical prone boards to test bottom shapes. The bigger chine paddled faster and handled late takeoffs in whitewash better.

Interesting seeing the flat bottom, wider chines on the prone board on the left, and can't help but notice its similarities to the SUP I was talking about in my previous post in this thread...

Pretty cool...and I'm noticing the same wrt how much better it paddles, and lifts off the water quicker compared my older less chined, and contour bottomed board(s)...

...and is even more stable than these longer, wider, more volumed, and thicker railed boards.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 10:14:36 AM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2020, 10:41:45 AM »
Sano,
Who shaped that new board of yours?  I can imagine how it would paddle better but I don’t get how it would be more stable. Seems it would be less stable to stand on, at least in my mind.

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2020, 10:47:10 AM »
Just to be clear, not knocking chined rails. This design element is pretty standard in foil boards (sup, wing, prone), and used for shedding water during touchdowns.  Rounded rails stick so a no go.  I was speaking more to concaves (single, double)  on the bottom of boards,  and how some shapers feel they don't add much. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 10:55:28 AM by Pasquales »

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2020, 11:50:05 AM »
Sano,
Who shaped that new board of yours?
I designed it with Dave Daum (Kings Paddle Sports) punching the keys on the computer - with inspiration of the words that Dwight (DW) here has on his website wrt the difference(s) between flat and concave bottoms. Dave then cut, glassed, and finished it for me.

I can imagine how it would paddle better but I don’t get how it would be more stable. Seems it would be less stable to stand on, at least in my mind.
You, and everyone else who saw the board when it was at that stage of production.

But because the "bottom" includes the chines as it sits in the water, there's equal "water pressure" (if you will) on all of the it, and thus using all of the foam for flotation and stability. No different than if you have narrower chines and thicker rails sunk in water...with the deck sitting at water level like this one does. In my experiences, it's more about volume, and the differences in "usable" vs "unusable" foam as the board sits in the water.

Now yes, there are some other things that go into all of it wrt foam distribution changes that help with stability and paddling ease, and suffice it to say I'll be making some slight bottom changes this coming week when I order another one even smaller (5'1"x27"x100-105 liters)...so as to keep all the remaining foam "usable", w/o just making proportionally thicker to maintain the same/similar volume.

But so far, all of the doubters who said "it's gonna be tippy", "it looks unridable", "wth is that?" back then, who've now ridden it...are all amazed that yes, it's just as stable (if not more so in some cases) as their similar sized or even slightly larger boards. So at least in the case...looks can oftentimes be deceiving.

If you're in SoCal, hit me up with a PM, and come on down to SanO and take 'er for a spin...only real way to prove it to yourself.  :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2020, 12:20:45 PM »
There is a different wobble frequency to different bottoms, even different chine angles.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2020, 04:45:22 PM »
Dwight - thanks for sharing those identical board pictures to test chines.  I would love to see the same done for double concave noses vs. flat entry bottoms on the nose.  That’s what this thread was started for and something I’m super curious about having never ridden a double concave board. I almost want to make another copy of my own design but add the concave features to try back to back.  Worth the price of another board????  That’s a hard one to justify to the purse holder in my family.   

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2020, 05:24:08 PM »
Yes, that is something I’d be interested in hearing about as well. I’m assuming if all else is the same, that a concave, single or double, will reduce the overall rocker and make it paddle better. Maybe.  ;D

Thanks for the offer to try, Sano. I’m a long ways from you and the water is too cold for me! :o I

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2020, 06:26:21 PM »
I would love to see the same done for double concave noses vs. flat entry bottoms on the nose.  That’s what this thread was started for and something I’m super curious about having never ridden a double concave board.
Jon, this is the nose and double concave blank of the orange board in my post above for better detail...

My idea at the time was that as soon as the nose started to clear the water on takeoff, the air coming up the face of the wave would be caught and pushed down the under and down the length of the board helping it "lift" off the water.

While I liked the board much better than I did my previous one w/o the concaves, and it paddled and flew better....

...in hindsight, I think it had more to do with the fact that the "concave" board had 5 liters more of volume, and the additional foam distributed differently as can be seen in the two outlines.

So while it's fun to be able to compare boards yourself, I'd say save your money, as I don't see your results being much different than I had with mine.

Also, since you're going to be at SanO this coming week, I'll through my white King's backup board in the van, and you can paddle that 6' one with concaves and narrower chines, and then my current flat bottomed board with larger chines, and let us know what you think about them. It'll be a fun experiment. Unfortunately, I don't have either of the above orange boards any longer for you to try...dang it. ;D

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2021, 08:16:14 PM »
So I ended up getting a 4’10” Amundson Uncle Nubby. About the same volume as my old board but 10” shorter and about 1/2” wider. It’s actually a little uncomfortably wide for me. Didn’t think 1/2” would matter...but I was wrong. As expected, it’s harder to paddle and harder to catch waves but not something I can’t get used to.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal