Author Topic: KT Drifter F  (Read 8432 times)

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
KT Drifter F
« on: December 24, 2020, 04:10:29 PM »
Anyone try a KT Drifter F?  Personally, I'm nowhere near good enough to notice all the bottom features on this board.  Really just looking for a board that's about 5'0" and 50 liters.  Currently have a 5'8" Jimmy Lewis Superfly.  It paddles okay but longer than I need and want something new. ;D I go back and forth between standup and prone and have never been a strong prone paddler so am worried the Drifter is gonna be worse paddling around and catching waves.  Any thoughts or other recommendations?

https://ktsurfing.com/boards-2021/drifter-f/

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: KT Drifter F
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 04:20:14 PM »
I am selling this Slingshot High Roller 5'2 if you are open to alternatives.  $500 will do it with $30 shipping. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333809971713

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 04:31:44 PM »
Thanks, that's a nice deal but I dunno if there's enough foam to float me. :o  I probably need to try and find someone with a lower volume board around here so I can try paddling it.  Problem is most of my friends all have boards that are too short.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 04:37:57 PM »
A guy on the whatsapp thread has 2 KT demo boards right now SupDad. I'll get his # for you. You want a PM here or on ERbb?

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 05:16:21 PM »
Man, I must be getting old because all those acronyms I have no idea what they mean! :o

Thank you!  I’m trying to decipher your message so I can see what he’s selling! 

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 08:15:11 PM »
Haha sorry. I assumed you were on another message board I’m on. Sent you a second pm. 😀

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 10:45:46 PM »
What is the Whatsapp thread?

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 09:42:04 AM »
Los Angeles foil club WhatsApp chat thread. I got confused on the names and thought he was another la guy. 😀

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 11:35:05 AM »
Admin- That slingshot looks like a nice prone foil board.  Too bad I just picked up a similar sized FFB off Craigslist.   For reference,  It has same volume, and paddles decent to support my 200 lbs.

Haven't tried KT prone boards, but have the Quatro Wing drifter for winging (designed by KT).  Like that board a lot.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 11:44:41 AM by Pasquales »

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 11:41:41 PM »
Anyone care to speculate how the Amundson Uncle Nubby paddles compared to the Drifter F?  The Amundson is 4’10” vs the Drifter F at 5’0” but similar volume. Not sure if the wide flat bottomed Amundson or the weird bottom KT will be harder to paddle.

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2020, 12:16:59 PM »
There is much debate about bottom contours among shapers.   Given I'm still relatively new, I'll leave this up to those with a few more waves under their belt to chime in.  My first board didn't have contours, current one does.  In my limited experience, skill defined by popping up and controlling the foil has been the most difficult part rather than catching waves.  However the nearest beaches to me tends to break pretty fast, where there is often too much power.  Anyway Amunson is definitely from the school that the board should be neutral.  There is talk about how contours allow the board to break free sooner,  I guess in gutless surf this might be the case, personally I'm 100% sold.

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2020, 05:11:18 PM »
Sorry meant to say not 100% sold on contours being necessary for prone foiling. 

SUPdad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2020, 06:25:59 PM »
Where I surf most often, there’s a little spot where it’s possible to catch knee high weak waves when it’s small. I’ve missed quite a few when paddling for them. It’s like paddling hard just barely keeps moving with the wave. If I can stand up quick enough, I can pop up on foil and go. But most of the time, when I stop paddling, I drop back off the wave and can’t stand up. On these kind of days, I don’t think the board bottom contours will matter much. What I think will matter is ease of paddling. The only feature that may help, and I’m not totally convinced it will, is a flattish tail that the wave can push against.  The other thing that may help (but not sure) is on a shorter board, I can kick more effectively. On my current board, my legs don’t hang that far off the back.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2020, 09:51:55 PM »
Anyone care to speculate how the Amundson Uncle Nubby paddles compared to the Drifter F?  The Amundson is 4’10” vs the Drifter F at 5’0” but similar volume. Not sure if the wide flat bottomed Amundson or the weird bottom KT will be harder to paddle.
Can't say wrt prone paddling, but I've been on multiple SUP foil boards with various bottom contour configurations, and my current one that has zero contours, a 13" bottom that then chines right up to the rails (the board is 28" wide, so the chines are 7.5" at their widest)...and the new board paddles way better than any of the other "contour" boards, and gets in to waves as easily, even though it's 5" shorter than the other boards.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2020, 11:31:21 PM »
I had a 4'4 (maybe 4'3, I forget) amundson. Flat bottom. It paddled great. It was a lil small for me, and some extra volume would have helped. But I was still able to glide into waves just fine.

I've noticed just changing foil wings/brands can make a big difference in how the same board paddles.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal