Author Topic: First wave!!!  (Read 4377 times)

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
First wave!!!
« on: December 22, 2020, 09:41:25 AM »
Caught my first wave.  Rode that one footer straight into the beach.  :)  So excited!!!  First session with an Axis 1150.  One prior attempt with an Armstrong 2400.  The Axis definitely paddles faster. 

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: First wave!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 02:35:21 PM »
congrats! looks like the Gulf of Mexico to me :)
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 06:53:30 PM »
Stoked for you Phils, Looks like an awesome spot.

Lose the quad set and tape over the fin boxes if you want to free yourself. :)

-red

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 08:26:44 PM »
Nice!!!!

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 06:15:20 AM »
Total envy...  I gather there's no going back. 

Can you imagine all the potential places...  The other guys are spending $Mils building wave pools or accept a 20% inopportune opportunity.  That ol' BS; "If you can surf here - you can surf anywhere." just got a Webster's update.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 11:20:58 AM »
Caught my first wave.  Rode that one footer straight into the beach.  :)  So excited!!!  First session with an Axis 1150. 

Get rid of those fins.  You don't need them.

And - You had been foil winging all summer in the Gorge.  How hard was it to accommodate Surf-Foiling?  In other words did you pick it right up?

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 02:32:49 PM »
Caught my first wave.  Rode that one footer straight into the beach.  :)  So excited!!!  First session with an Axis 1150. 

Get rid of those fins.  You don't need them.

And - You had been foil winging all summer in the Gorge.  How hard was it to accommodate Surf-Foiling?  In other words did you pick it right up?

Yeah the fins.  Just laziness.

I am a decent foiler (first kitefoiling and then winging) but have very little paddling or surfing experience.  I tried SUP surfing around 10 years ago...about 5 sessions with a large board without much success. 

I decided to take on SUP foiling very recently....mostly to DW at the Gorge next summer.  In preparation I did about 10 flat water sessions with "short boards"( around 6-5).  The first few were to just stop paddling in circles and then I did a bunch of interval practice simulating catching a wave.   It became clear to me that I would never catch anything with a 6-5 board so I got a 7-4 board for my first wave sessions.  The first session went OK but no success.  I caught my first wave during my second session.

Using me as an example, if one can foil and has a big enough board, SUP foiling tiny waves is easily achievable for someone with average abilities and some commitment.

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 10:48:40 PM »
Very inspiring. I have all the pieces. Axis 1150 (and 1200 etc). 65 cm and 75 cm masts. Foil boards (albeit not 7'4 or 7'6) . Surf and SUP surf skill and experience. 5 years kite foiling and 1 year wing foiling.  I may just try SUP foiling due to your stoke. 
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

Phils

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 02:46:33 AM »
I have hundreds of hours kite and wing foiling waves but will never forget those 3-4 seconds on the first wave I paddled on to.  I am still telling my wife about it because my friends have stopped answering the phone.  Strongly recommended.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 09:18:45 AM »
That’s a great measured approach to doing this safely, well done.

I agree, there’s something about a wave that elevates (sorry) the feeling. Im loving flat water winging but to me the highest form of that will be winging out to a small wave and doing laps on knee to waist offshore bumps.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 09:39:15 AM »
I am still telling my wife about it because my friends have stopped answering the phone. 

Why do you think I'm obsessively reading message boards. I have to find people all around the world to talk to because no one I know will talk to me about it anymore :)

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2020, 10:32:27 AM »
Caught my first wave.  Rode that one footer straight into the beach.  :)  So excited!!!  First session with an Axis 1150.  One prior attempt with an Armstrong 2400.  The Axis definitely paddles faster.

Is that a 65cm mast or ? Also, just curious what are the additional branding, markings below the Axis label? Maybe today is the day for another go out today on foil.  Would you or anyone venture a recommendation of using the 1150 or 1200 wing for SUP foil beginner (I have both to choose from). 
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2020, 12:55:18 PM »
... "The first few were to just stop paddling in circles".

How the hell do I stop paddling in circles??? Any suggestion other than paddle outside in?
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2020, 01:13:41 PM »

How the hell do I stop paddling in circles??? Any suggestion other than paddle outside in?

Yeah, I had a similar problem on my 6'6" SUP. I've seen those little nubster-like fins near the nose. Thoughts?

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2020, 02:17:36 PM »

Yeah, I had a similar problem on my 6'6" SUP. I've seen those little nubster-like fins near the nose. Thoughts?

The key to catching waves, and paddling in a straight line is a good paddle stroke.  I see people take up SUP'ing and ignore the stroke. 

Study Connor Baxter, Dave Kalama and Kai Lenny.  Years ago there was a focus on improving people's stroke.  I have learned that the key to catching big waves is paddling way, way faster than Connor ever could in a race.  We can paddle 15 to 17 mph and miss a wave. 

Here is a video I made with my 6' 6" SUP foil board.  Use weight on the paddle rail and make sure your hand goes over your body.  I learned this technique from SUPTheCreek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN40OUh-eHM
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 02:19:11 PM by Beasho »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal