Author Topic: Anyone in Mid-Atlantic Still Paddling?  (Read 4943 times)

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Anyone in Mid-Atlantic Still Paddling?
« on: December 20, 2020, 06:03:40 PM »
Tomorrow, Dec 21, is forecasted to be 47 F with light winds. I'm thinking about heading out. Most of the 4-5 inches that fell in Northern VA has melted so I'm excited to get some sun and good strokes.
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC
2019 SIC RS Air Glide 14x28

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Anyone in Mid-Atlantic Still Paddling?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 06:02:06 AM »
Good for you, LS...  You and Rick Weeks up on the Cape have warm feelings about dreary days. I finally gave away my 4mil/full. Simply messing with cold/wet/sandy booties is a PITA ..and the lack of flexibility is no fun.  There are always a few days in Jan when the 'topsoil' bayside at Assateague gets blown eastward.  If the sun has been on it for a couple of days it gets surprisingly warm back in the shallow guts.  Have fun.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SurfnCJ8

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 08:21:43 PM »
Went yesterday here in NC. Not great and kind of chilly but had some size to it and caught a few fun waves. Also went last Thusday, small and clean and uncrowded, only 2 of us out. Had a blast, still not a fan of the colder weather though.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 05:43:08 AM »
I surfed yesterday in 32-degree air 45-degree water and I was perfectly comfortable.

If I had to deal with a cold sandy wetsuit and booties, I would not even bother going. I put all my gear on at home and take it off at home where it's nice and warm.

For the drive home I use a waterproof seat cover.  https://seatshield.com/collections/waterproof-seat-covers/products/ultrasport-seatshield

And plastic floor liners.  https://www.smartliner-usa.com/pages/floor-mats

« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 05:46:12 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 06:36:00 AM »
Badger...  That is too smart for me to have thought of.  Good for you. 

I often stop at the store on the 1hr drive back to the shop - they'd think I was a serious COVID martian with my wettie and facemask picking up milk.  Then.. I would have to stop and explain that cold saltwater works better than chloroquine. Of course, the guy who promotes that stuff would not dare put that hair in salt water, so he wouldn't know.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 05:37:32 PM »
I did get out on the 21st. I wore a wetsuit for the first time on a SUP. The sun never came out but it was dead calm with thick fog - one of my favorite types of paddling conditions. Over the past 40 days, the water fowl on my reservoir has changed quite a bit. migratory birds that were not there over the summer have inhabited the reservoir since around Nov 1. Its really cool to see. During my fog paddle, I saw 4 to 6 huge swans - never before have I noticed them on the reservoir. It was an amazing site to see, and on a personal level really connected with me. According to this map, indeed, many swans do winter over in the mid-Atlantic, perhaps my small reservoir was just an intermediate stop?

SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 04:09:17 AM »
I had six swans fly right over me while I was surfing Tuesday. We see them year-round in NH.

It's interesting how some swans and Canada Geese will migrate long distances to lay their eggs while others apparently don't feel like making the flight and don't migrate at all. There is one river that I paddle where the swans will attack you if you get within 100 yards of their nest.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 04:37:35 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 07:49:43 PM »
Happy New Year ya'll!

Just to make sure 2020 is truly gone  I went out today. It was very nice 36F with no wind, very clean water and only birds around.  Pretty cool way to open the season.

Oh, and 2020  is nowhere to be found, so we are all good :)

Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 06:02:31 AM »
O Addict. I am glad to see you on the water!
I hope you are well, we will have to get in a surf or paddle session, when I get back to NE  :)

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 06:38:15 PM »
Hi Rick,

Happy New Year!
Are you avoiding snow removal chores again this winter? :D  Where are you these days? Hope at  some warm place with nice waves all day long :)

We def need to catch up when you are back.

oA

Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 09:09:26 PM »
I almost had a pelican take my head off yesterday, does that count? I don't think the bugger was paying attention. Texting while flying, or something. I scared him as much as he scared me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 09:16:22 AM »
I did get out on the 21st. I wore a wetsuit for the first time on a SUP. The sun never came out but it was dead calm with thick fog - one of my favorite types of paddling conditions. Over the past 40 days, the water fowl on my reservoir has changed quite a bit. migratory birds that were not there over the summer have inhabited the reservoir since around Nov 1. Its really cool to see. During my fog paddle, I saw 4 to 6 huge swans - never before have I noticed them on the reservoir. It was an amazing site to see, and on a personal level really connected with me. According to this map, indeed, many swans do winter over in the mid-Atlantic, perhaps my small reservoir was just an intermediate stop?

I saw the swans again this morning (first time on the water in nearly 2-months). This time it was a much larger group of about 20 swans.
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC

LoudounSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2021, 05:49:18 AM »
Starting tomorrow (March 9), four days of 70 degrees in the forecast for Wash DC and the Mid-Atlantic. I can't wait to get the new Ninja out on the water!
SUP in Nordic Virginia
2018 SIC X 14'0 TWC

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal