Author Topic: Another one for the boomers  (Read 9604 times)

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Another one for the boomers
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2021, 07:22:15 AM »
Anyone find that there is a problem with either the Duotone Unit or Echo backwinding?  I've used a 5 metre Echo without any problems.  Not sure about the Unit (never tried it).

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 07:25:07 AM by deja vu »

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2021, 07:44:09 AM »
What exactly is backwinding?  I have the Duotone Unit 6m and am very happy with it's performance in winds 13-20mph
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2021, 07:51:34 AM »
Echo does not backwind

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2021, 09:44:06 AM »
Unit does not backwind either.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 01:14:07 AM »
It would be a REAL TRAGEDY if Duotone doesn't fix the pygmy sized front grab handle. That this is so stupidly small. It's pretty much a no grab with winter neoprene gloves and man sized hands. And forget behind the back wing transfer tricks.

Echo always behaves better “luffed” with one hand at the front of the boom rather than on the front handle, but I agree that the front handle is too small. Oh, and don’t worry about behind-the-back wing transfer tricks. The rank and file here will debate detailed wing construction/performance details ad nauseam without a single mention of attempting or working on behind-the-back transfers :o

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2021, 05:10:46 AM »
What exactly is backwinding?  I have the Duotone Unit 6m and am very happy with it's performance in winds 13-20mph

Windsurfers use Backwinding to mean sailing with the sail between you and the wind.  In that position you are pushing out on the sail.  There are a lot of backwinded tricks in windsurfing and a lot have now translated to the wing.  360's, Heli tacks, duck tacks, Hoss tacks, push loops, Vulcans, Spocks, and most of the new school tricks are all backwinding tricks. 

Above they are using backwinding to mean wing collapse or distortion.  This can happen when you are cranking high into the wind and at speed.

red_tx

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2021, 06:13:57 AM »
Very interesting thread. My 4.2 Sling Wing is not cutting it and I am looking for a 5.4 or 6M.
I was going to pull the trigger on a 6M Echo then............ the backwinds blew into my mind.....

Which wings backwind? I cant have any lackluster design holding me back from BACKWIND fun time manuvers!

Thanks
-red

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2021, 06:42:48 AM »

Windsurfers use Backwinding to mean sailing with the sail between you and the wind.  In that position you are pushing out on the sail.  There are a lot of backwinded tricks in windsurfing and a lot have now translated to the wing.  360's, Heli tacks, duck tacks, Hoss tacks, push loops, Vulcans, Spocks, and most of the new school tricks are all backwinding tricks. 

Above they are using backwinding to mean wing collapse or distortion.  This can happen when you are cranking high into the wind and at speed.

Thanks Admin..appreciate the explanation. 
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2021, 07:41:36 AM »
The new F-0ne Strike looks interesting, more an incremental improvement than jumping to a new design. It's time to retire the hobo fleet. I've ordered a quiver for Spring.

They look suitable for old man mowing and I can write endlessly on fabric bias and panel direction instead of paying attention to the all-important behind the back transfers.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2021, 08:41:00 AM »
Backwinding -- for me, backwinding means when a wing becomes unruly in gusts, especially when heading upwind and the front area of the wing literally pushes back against the rider.  This is really disconcerting for the rider, especially if the wing has a real proclivity to backwind in normal gusty conditions -- the rider ends up constantly wrestling with the wing = no fun!

If you decide to head upwind and your wing constantly pushes and releases the whole time and in order to control the wing you have to substantially back off your angle of attack -- in my opinion it's time to look for a different wing.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 08:43:06 AM by deja vu »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2021, 08:55:56 AM »
Yes!  Sometimes it will just give you little warning signs, kind of like, "Buddy, you are too close to the wind".   Other times it comes at you all at once and can slam you hard, just like if you had actually crossed through the eye of the wind.  That one sucks.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2021, 02:16:59 PM »
The kid in this video is on a Gaastra wing (I think -- GA = Gaastra?).  The wing uses two mini booms so I'm guessing that there will be a Gaastra wing released soon with mini booms opposed to six or seven handles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyv8ghZg8jI&t=12s

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2021, 04:57:47 PM »
Here's the Epic wing.  The handles look more like a cross between the Ensis and Cabrinha wings rather than a "boomed" wing like the new Slick.  I suspect it has some up or down wrist twist (in other words the handles most likely will twist when you move your wrists up or down).  Both the Slick or Echo have direct input to the wing when the wrists are turned either up or down (no twist through the boom).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfbRmNoqZOk
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 05:09:53 PM by deja vu »

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal