Author Topic: Short Session SoCal  (Read 3285 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Short Session SoCal
« on: December 18, 2020, 06:39:12 AM »
I've discovered something weird. Surf sessions in SoCal are short--like an hour at most. I don't know why, but it doesn't seem to be just me. Maybe because it's mostly shorebreak? I don't know. I find myself getting out of the water while the surf is still OK and I'm not tired. I notice that the people who went into the water at about the same time I did are gone before I get out. Maybe they have jobs.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 06:41:28 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Short Session SoCal
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 08:03:53 AM »
Yeah I’d say most people here are fitting sessions in between other things. While it’s true half the people on the water are real estates agents. They still have to go meet someone later in the day.

I try to have a two hour window to be in the water when I go. On occasion it’s less though.

Only about once a month or less do I have an unlimited time window. Pretty rare these days.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 09:37:17 AM »
I find that when surfing a reef break and the chanel is working, I'll stay out until I'm too tired, the swell drops, or it gets too crowded. On a beachy or when the chanel is closing out, after several waves I'll catch one and look at the effort to paddle back out and decide that maybe I've had enough fun.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 04:09:21 PM »
Mine are usually about 3 hours. I'll stand around for 30 minutes just BS'g or waiting for the sun to show it face. 7ish then I'm out by 10:30. Then YES....Work! I will catch Doho in the evening for an hour. From sitting at my desk to the water, about 15 minutes. Drive home in my wetsuit after sundown. Spoiled 8)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 04:19:28 PM »
Since you've been down, we've had some weather windows with wider tide swings, where the low tide seems to have sucked out any swell we've had with it...then the wind comes up mid-late morning, so then there's that. But yep, I find myself with shorter sessions recently because of that as well...can't remember my last 3+ hour sesh.

Just like today, I got out as the tide was still filling in with little to no wind, and 90 minutes later just like clockwork...here came the wind, the tide had already turned around out and started taking the waves with it. So rather than paddle around just to paddle chasing ghosts, I headed back in to the full Thermos of coffee, and good friends on the beach to chit chat the day away hoping/waiting for a second session...that never came btw.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 04:27:43 PM »
I think I'm just used to Maui and Hood River, where it seems weird to be out less than two hours. Maui is particularly that way, warm water, reef breaks, and small tide changes.

I notice it because I'm a geezer. Windsurfing in Hood river used to be an all-day affair, frequently four or five sessions, each longer than an hour.

When the shuttle was running in HR some of us were doing three Viento runs. About four hours of downwinding.

The older I get, the faster I was.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 09:59:46 PM »
Lots of things to do out here besides sport. The rat race is real. These million dollar houses don’t pay for themselves after all haha.

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 07:30:33 PM »
I think I'm just used to Maui and Hood River, where it seems weird to be out less than two hours. Maui is particularly that way, warm water, reef breaks, and small tide changes.

Two hours would be bare minimum for me, too. We have 6' tide changes, and surfing is limited to about 3 hours on either side of high tide for most spots, so there are the days when you only catch it in the AM or the PM...or both :-) I'd say my average is probably 3-4 hours, with the occasional 6 hour rip.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 10:42:01 AM »
"Jobs"... do any of you still have one?   ;D

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 08:18:52 PM »
Yeah, I’m the weirdo in my crew who just checks out for the day (weekends only for now at least.) I get around it by having multiple friends to hang with lol. One crew for morning surf, then lunch, then meet others at another spot. If I don’t move I just hang in shifts as people come and go.

Once I retire I’ll be that dude in the lot all the time in a van. Hoping to claim a spot along PCH with all the other guys who look like me there.  ;D

Pasquales

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 10:49:46 PM »
Bill - It was fun winging with you at Sail Bay.  The session had to be at least a cpl hours, I was pretty spent afterwards.  That guy you helped launch his kite owes you a major solid.   Luckily you were close by as I don't know squat about kiting.  That kite seemed like something for 10 mph winds, not what was blowing today.  :o

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 05:49:57 AM »
Bill - It was fun winging with you at Sail Bay.  The session had to be at least a cpl hours, I was pretty spent afterwards.  That guy you helped launch his kite owes you a major solid.   Luckily you were close by as I don't know squat about kiting.  That kite seemed like something for 10 mph winds, not what was blowing today.  :o

The last time I saw a standard kite that big it was at least twenty years ago, I wouldn't have thought 17M was still available except as the ram air high aspect racing kites. That was NOT easy to launch in that wind.

Nice meeting you, that was a good day. And yes, I didn't check the time when I started but it was probably three hours. It's hard to quit when the wind is good.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal