Author Topic: Can you safely glue half of a 3 piece paddle?  (Read 2227 times)

Rookie Paddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Can you safely glue half of a 3 piece paddle?
« on: December 17, 2020, 04:56:27 AM »
Hello everyone,
I guess my username gives away my skill level right away.
So my question which I was hoping someone could help me is the following. I've just got my first sup board and because it came without a paddle I had to go through the immence task of researching the best cheapest paddle out there. I could've gone for the best paddle (period) but those cost 2 times what I paid for the board so that's that. Anyway, I bought online a 3 piece, fiber glass/ plastic paddle with the ignorance of a child because after receiving it yesterday and assembling it I straight away noticed that the bottom 2 pieces connect throught one of those pin balls that slide out of a little hole in the shaft. I can see that it won't fall off but there's movement and of course with time it will definetly snap somewhere around that area. So I was thinking to permanently glue somehow the bottom two parts of the paddle leaving only the handle part ajustable which has the right system, with the clip that tightens the two together and allows you to ajust the lenght to the milimiter. So guys, is it a good idea, first of all? And if it is, what kind of glue should I use? Strong duck tape around the joint, maybe? Gorilla glue? UHU stick 😏? I'd appreciate some enlighment 🙌
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 05:00:04 AM by Rookie Paddler »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can you safely glue half of a 3 piece paddle?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 05:21:50 AM »
Hello everyone,
I guess my username gives away my skill level right away.
So my question which I was hoping someone could help me is the following. I've just got my first sup board and because it came without a paddle I had to go through the immence task of researching the best cheapest paddle out there. I could've gone for the best paddle (period) but those cost 2 times what I paid for the board so that's that. Anyway, I bought online a 3 piece, fiber glass/ plastic paddle with the ignorance of a child because after receiving it yesterday and assembling it I straight away noticed that the bottom 2 pieces connect throught one of those pin balls that slide out of a little hole in the shaft. I can see that it won't fall off but there's movement and of course with time it will definetly snap somewhere around that area. So I was thinking to permanently glue somehow the bottom two parts of the paddle leaving only the handle part ajustable which has the right system, with the clip that tightens the two together and allows you to ajust the lenght to the milimiter. So guys, is it a good idea, first of all? And if it is, what kind of glue should I use? Strong duck tape around the joint, maybe? Gorilla glue? UHU stick 😏? I'd appreciate some enlighment 🙌

Don't feel bad about the paddle choice. Everyone I know who got into paddling started with a crap paddle because it's cheap. If you do get into it seriously. A good paddle is the best investment
in your well being. Boards come and go, paddle could stay with you for a long time.

As for your question, in general I wouldn't worry about the blade falling off, I've use paddles with this system and even well known brands had that wiggle but that depends how crappy your paddle really is. If you are the worrying type, you can just use hot glue, a non permanent solution (search the forum you'll find a lot about it) it will take care of the wiggle and you could always detach it if needed.
in progress...

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 10:06:22 AM »
Welcome!

Good advice from Burchas.
Boards come and go, paddle could stay with you for a long time.

That 3 piece and your board will come in handy when you move on up. Friends and family can use them with you. The 3 piece could also be strapped to your deck as a back-up on longer paddles (I have a kayak paddle for that purpose). So, yeah, don't permanently glue it together. Watch for corrosion on that mechanism too.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 11:54:54 AM »
If you want to save money, consider making your own paddle.  A wood paddle can be made out of a wooden dowel (closet) and a scrap piece of wood.  Build cost is $10 or less.  I use these type of paddles for flatwater paddling, much preferred over my first aluminum/plastic paddle that came bundled with my first board.  Unless you are racing or surfing, I don't see the need for a $$$ paddle.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 03:54:33 PM »
Yes, you can. Hot glue works, so does epoxy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 06:44:58 PM »
Hot glue is also reversible with a heat gun at any time.

Welcome man! We who now have spent more than the value of our cars on gear mostly all started with bad gear.

But change that name. You only get to be a rookie so long. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal