Author Topic: Cabrinha Crosswing v2  (Read 15114 times)

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cabrinha Crosswing v2
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2020, 10:23:26 AM »
I now have the 5m Cabrinha Crosswing X2 (and just sold my Slingwing v2 5.4m, which I loved). I will also get a 4m and 6m when available shortly. This wing is powerful and flies fast. Really easy to pump wing to get up on foil. The canopy is very rigid and doesn't luff/flap at all. I like the handles a lot (after the slipperyness washes out after 1-2 sessions). Wing handles and drifts well. Floats well during transitions. I am pleased with this wing. In overpowered conditions, and if one let's the front handle out inadvertently, there can be a tendency for the wing to backwind a bit and stall. Perhaps this is exacerbated by the flat canopy. I have figured out how to manage this after the first couple sessions. The double inflation points are slick. Deflates fast, too. A bit of a challenge to learn how to fold with the minibooms.... but it can be done. I loved the bag that came with Slingwing v2, not so much for the Cabrinha messenger bag duffel style. I really like having a backpack with two straps.
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2020, 05:58:06 PM »
I demoed a 6 metre Cabrinha today -- it was powerful and controllable until I got hit with a slightly bigger than normal gust.  At this point it got very unruly and backwinded in a disconcerting manner (winds were 3 to 10 or 11 m.p.h. with an odd gust of maybe 14 m.p.h. -- no whitecaps).  Personally I feel the front handle needs to be extended forward by five or six inches to get better leverage over the wing in gusts.  Both the Wasp and Echo (in my opinion) are more controllable wings even though the Wasp will flutter like  crazy in big gusts.  I'd like to demo an Armstrong wing to see how it compares to the others.

The Cabrinha wing does not pack down in the same way my Wasp (X2) and Echo does -- the wing's bag is large and even then it is hard to pack the wing up so that it fits.

I did like the handles and it is easy to pump the board up onto the foil in really light wind.  There's a lot to like but the backwinding has given me pause and I'm glad I got to demo this wing before purchasing.

Now I understand why some are switching out wings like most of us switch out underwear.    :(

« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 06:03:30 PM by deja vu »

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2020, 03:15:42 PM »
Has anyone else tried this more recently and if so do you have any thoughts on the above comments?  I'm looking at a 5m, but my brother is in a lighter wind area and looking at a 6m.  We'd both like to hear a bit more about if the 5m or 6m is harder to handle if it does get overpowered.

Thanks,
Peter

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2020, 03:56:20 PM »
A couple of local buddies tried it. They said the same as above. It back winded.

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2020, 03:42:54 AM »
Thanks, do you know if that is specific to the 6m?

wingdingjoe

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2020, 08:37:40 AM »
also very interested in this design... did they happen to mention that it back winded MORE than 6mt swing o other comparable large wings?

I've found that the large LE wings almost always seem to have difficulty sheeted in and pointing high and just assumed cause of too much turbulence behind that huge "mast."

anyone find the official WEIGHT of the large cabrina? I would like to compare it with the weight of the new Shinn 7mt "resurrector" wing... which looks pretty fain sexy to me.  8)

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2020, 10:58:05 AM »
I should also have asked, was this backwinding a "deal breaker" or just something that was not ideal?  Most equipment in most sports have strengths and weaknesses and tradeoffs.  Was any negative of this backwinding made up for by other good aspects of the handling?

Thx,
Peter

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2020, 04:20:58 PM »
I have a 6 metre Wasp and after demoing the 6 metre Cabrinha I still have the Wasp -- I find the Wasp easier to handle in gusts but not as easy to get up on foil as the Cabrinha.  I hope to try an Ensis and an Air Rush before buying anything else -- I want to make sure it will be a worthwhile upgrade.  I mentioned the backwinding to the person who lent me the Cabrinha and he said that he agreed and that the backwinding was an issue for him as well.  I was also told that Cabrinha had another wing coming soon -- not sure how accurate that information is but then again everyone seems to have a new wing coming soon -- it's making my head swim.

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2020, 04:39:16 PM »
A couple of local buddies tried it. They said the same as above. It back winded.

Yep same issue here .
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 04:47:18 PM by Piros »
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2020, 01:48:19 AM »
Out of interest, have you guys tried maxing out the inflation on these?  I know that the Swings would come at you if they got anywhere near the wind at MFG inflation suggestions but they do pretty well at 10 PSI.  They can point much higher like that and at the very least become very predictable (you know when to are going to fight you).  I wonder if that is the same with these.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2020, 06:49:51 AM »
I rode the 5 & 6 of the cab x2 wing and I really wasn't a fan of them. Maybe if it was a 2019 release, I really would of liked it but with the ensis V2, duotone unit, airush and several others in the market, I feel that it's not up to par with those. The tail of the strut bends in, while others are out so I feel more drag as the wing gets bigger and less up wind ability. The handles are a breaking point and I felt the wing tip wanting to go under my board easily. Once on foil, it was good but needed more wind than my other wings. I think this is a good high wind wing but for my funky winds, it just wasn't for me. I liked the mini boom idea but felt they're a little far apart from each other and maybe a stronger attachment and angle like the brm would be nicer. I felt like gimmicks of the double struts and mini booms could have potential but needs refinement. I'd like to try the 3 of 4 meter in strong winds since I feel that's where there testing was.
Hopefully companies learn from kite testing to test the bigger sizes and scale down instead of testing small stuff and scaling up.
Cab does have a new wing coming, has the booms on it from what I've seen so far. Maybe it'll fix the issues of the x2

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2020, 07:43:56 AM »
Out of interest, have you guys tried maxing out the inflation on these?  I know that the Swings would come at you if they got anywhere near the wind at MFG inflation suggestions but they do pretty well at 10 PSI.  They can point much higher like that and at the very least become very predictable (you know when to are going to fight you).  I wonder if that is the same with these.

I pumped the boom strut to 11 psi and the front strut to around 6 or 7 (what it called for).  I'm staying away from wings that need a lot of pressure in the struts.  I like innovative stuff and really wanted to like this wing.  For my style of winging I just wasn't comfortable with it.  I've winged with both the Wasp and Echo and are used to them -- for my purposes I'm no longer interested in this version of the Cabrinha.  If Cabrinha introduces a version with a real "boom" and makes some changes to its strut system I'll give it another try.  After trying this one it seemed to me to be more like a work in progress rather than a well tested completed product.  Maybe I'm out to lunch but I'm looking for something that handles gusts well and goes upwind in a predictable manner.  I'm looking for a 7 metre for those light wind days (lots of those for me) but I could only get my hands on a 6 metre to demo.  After trying the 6 I felt that there was little chance the 7 was going to work for my style of winging.  Bottom line (if you can)  -- try before you buy.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 07:58:48 AM by deja vu »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2020, 12:59:26 PM »
New V3 called the Manta coming soon that will be a different design and more surf’able.

liv2surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2020, 10:49:14 PM »
And now for a different (and longwinded) opinion. 

In general, I really like the Cabrinha X2 wings. I have owned the 4, 5 and 6m Cabrinha Crosswing X2 for a few months now (..since they were each released). There are many things about the X2 to like ...that I like).  I have flown all of these in over, under and normo-powered conditions. I have flown Cabrinha v1 and Slingwing v2 previously. I have been wing foiling successfully for >9 months and started last January.

I believe these wings are very powerful for their size probably due to the forced camber of the canopy. I tend to like this. The canopy is very tight, rigid and quiet.

I like the two minibooms for power adjustment and transitions and simplicity of finding the handle. (see additional comments).

Backwinding: I notice the backwinding most when trying to drift this wing off the LE handle (this is a surf/downwinding specific application). I think this makes this wing less desirable for surf and downwinding but doesn’t impact it as much for flat water wing foiling. My understanding is that this behavior is a potential of all wings. For this wing, I think backwinding becomes less of an issue as you learn how to handle this wing. I am almost unaffected by it now. But it does like continuous back hand pressure to prevent backwinding.

I like the two inflations points 1) High pressure for the center struts 11 psi + and 2) low pressure for the larger LE (closer to 6 psi). This also makes for easier and quicker deflation. I like the novelty of the middle split strut. I wonder if different inflation pressure of the two split strut elements could be used as a hack to tune the performance of this wing (there is a shutoff valve between them that could allow this).

The build quality and canopy material is excellent. The bag sucks (but no one decides on a wing based on the bag).

The leash connection point about a foot back from LE allows upside down wing to be more easily flipped over unlike my other wings.

In general, I am happy with these wings.  Another friend (a former windsurfer) has the 3, 4, 5 and 6m and is very happy with them, too. I spoke to yet another windsurfer who is getting one. One of my friends owns F’one wings is not happy with his 4m X2. Cabrinha X2 wings seem popular among the windsurfers switching to winging likely because of the mini-boom handles (non-scientific survey).   

Some additional comments:

I had SEVERE problems with the minibooms when I first used the new wings due to their slipperiness (from detergent used in manufacture—which washes out after several sessions) combined with my small hands which caused intense, session-limiting hand fatigue (due to needing to actively grip during the whole session) but this has totally resolved. I am comfortable with long multi-hours sessions now, as much as the two other wing models I have owned.

I misspoke in an earlier post when I mentioned backwinding seemed due to not enough front hand pressure. Now, I realize I can correct any hint of backwinding by apply back hand pressure. I suppose this canopy’s need for constant back hand pressure doesn’t allow the wing to be luffed as well in overpowered conditions or for drifting in the surf compared to other brands with more relaxed canopies. This may also limit the wing’s top end range.

Last week I have wing foil surfed real waves at Kanaha on Maui while drifting on the front handle and this worked reasonably well. I was stoked about this. But, sadly, I did not get enough wave time in Maui :(  So, for me, the jury is still out for how good a wave wing foiling wing this is. Cabrinha is coming out with a new wave-specific wing which I have heard is called the Mantis (some one else said Manta which actually sounds more likely). I heard it will not have either minibooms and split-strut…. but all just rumors heard on the beach.

I like the minibooms even more after fabricating a removable and adjustable middle miniboom (which fits all 3 of my wings). This 3rd miniboom allows me to tie the two original minibooms together which eliminates their original slight tendency to move fore and aft (it also allows me to have a single harness line for all my wings, a more rigid & predictable harness connection and provides a nice, less-powered hand hold in the middle useful at various times). I fabricated this from a broken adjustable-length  carbon fiber SUP paddle shaft and 1" schedule_40 90 degree elbows. I attach each elbows a) in 2 spots to each miniboom and b) also to the strut harness connections (important for providing enough support to use the harness line). I am posting a picture of this build attached to my 6m. Currently, for attachment (a work in progress) using zip ties (and Velcro strap) but want to find something stronger, more eco-friendly (and quicker to attach and remove for packing).

Initially, the wings are a bit more challenging to fold after use due to the rigid minibooms…. but I have learned how to fold them and get them into the bag pretty quickly and small. I just traveled with 3 of these in their bags to Maui (packed into 1 suitcase) and it worked fine.

Due to the tendency to backwind which one can mostly learn to deal with and the hand fatigue from the short-lived, detergent-induced (from manufacture) initial slipperiness of the minibooms, it would be hard to appreciate the positive qualities of this wing if demoing a new wing for 30 min, IMHO.

In summary, I am generally quite happy with these wings but slightly concerned they will not be among the best when flown off the LE handle in waves and when downwinding.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 11:24:07 PM by liv2surf »
5'6 Quatro Wingdrifter Pro 105L; Cabrinha Mantis 3.1m, 4m, 5m and 6m; Axis 1000 (1150, 1020); Project Cedrus 91 cm carbon mast (68 cm fuse, 440/5000 rear); 9'6" CRUZ Surf foil SUP (152L); Chinook Thrust 92 Paddle -- fixed 78" length; 'prone' longboards on the rack, kites in the garage.

deja vu

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2020, 08:36:47 AM »
Great stuff putting a third "mini boom" on.  I'm glad to hear you've made a few minor adjustments and are enjoying these wings -- very innovative and interesting wing.  I'm hoping the Echo V2 will have a real boom attached to a boom strut -- that could be my ticket.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal